Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Author Topic: PlayStation 5 - Have you been able to score one yet?  (Read 891 times)

Offline BLUEVOODU

• Administrator
  • Tom Nook
    • bluevoodu
    • R2EN546
    • View Profile
PlayStation 5 - Have you been able to score one yet?
« on: December 19, 2021, 09:28:16 PM »
I finally got one... has anyone else been able to score one?  They are getting easier to find... still a bit difficult though.   Crazy thing is... I felt a bit excited to get one.... 1 year after launch.   That shouldn't be a thing.   They should be common to buy a year later.

Offline Grindspine

• Sonic The Hedgehog
    • Grindspine
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation 5 - Have you been able to score one yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 10:51:31 PM »
GameStop in Brownsburg, Indiana has a few on hand, but they are all $800 bundle systems.  That is of today (12/19/21).  I cannot afford $800 for one though.

Offline CreepinDeth

• Delta Force Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 08:08:58 PM »
The more time I get to think about a PS5, the less I want one at the moment. Maybe later on in a couple of years once all of the cross-generation stuff is sorted and we're just dealing with PS5 only titles. I don't like the way Sony went about the PS4->PS5 upgrade path.

It's the reason I pulled the trigger on an Xbox Series X. They seem to respect backwards compatibility much better and I'd rather support that right now.

Offline Grindspine

• Sonic The Hedgehog
    • Grindspine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 04:47:51 PM »
So what good games does PS5 have?  I only get responses of, "Yeah, there are some solid games." But, with exception of Ratchet and Clank's new title, I have yet to hear of any killer apps or system exclusive games that are going to seal the deal.

I mean, the system looks cool, it has PS4 backwards compatibility, can play 4k streaming or blu ray movies (depending on digital or disc version of the console), but what GAMES make it worth buying?

Offline BLUEVOODU

• Administrator
  • Tom Nook
    • bluevoodu
    • R2EN546
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 12:49:54 AM »
@CreepinDeth  - what did you not like about the backward compatibility?  So far, it has worked very well for my.

My biggest complaint is that you cannot PS5 games off external storage.   You have to transfer the game to the internal hard drive before playing.

There really isn’t a killer app yet… other than you get to play the newer updated games on the PlayStation 5.  I updated my PS4 to a PS5 because it (so far) plays all my old PS4 games… even from the external drive. It was super easy to move all PS4 games over to the PS5 with my 4TB external drive.  They were also immediately playable.

I still have my PlayStation 3 for PS1, 2, and 3 games. That comes in super handy as we are still finishing some PS3 games such as Lego Pirates of the Caribbean.

I will say… it is a beast of a system. It’s large.  It’s pretty quiet too. But it is large.  You really have to have the real estate for it.

The other negative for me is the cash outlay to get into this system. After 4 controllers and the bundle… it was not cheap. I didn’t feel super excited that it took a solid year to acquire one that was not scalped.   I too bought a bundle, but it was all very usable items… no headsets… etc… but there was a GameStop gift card, a 1 year ps plus subscription (at full price…..) and the rest were games. 

Offline Grindspine

• Sonic The Hedgehog
    • Grindspine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 09:14:02 PM »
Monster system.. I get it... PS4 compatible.. I get it..

It really sounds like, at this point, it is a pretty big upgrade from a PS4.  As someone who does not have a PS4, it really is not ticking a lot of boxes for me to try really hard to get one.  Maybe next year if prices stabilize.  I cannot even see having four controllers for it.  It was rare that Renee or I ever use more than two controllers on the PS3.  Even with Tekken Tag Tournament 2, having four people willing to play at a time was rare.

Offline retro junkie

• Sam Fisher
  • all your base are belong to us
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 09:01:59 AM »
I have not heard much about the PS5. I really haven't expressed the interest in checking out any information related to the console. The PS3 is as far as I have reached into the SONY camp. So, not having a PS4, and never was tempted, I am not sure what the PS5 is all about at this point. Other than it is hard to get one. So I guess it is up to the hype to convince me why I absolutely need one. Until then my money stays into retro gaming.  :)) And I am not a fan of loading my game into internal or external storage. It sounds like the technology has exceeded the capacity of disk drives. Do we need to go back to having carts the size of Neo Geo AES carts?

Don't get me wrong. I have always enjoyed every SONY console that I own. Money becomes an issue on all this new stuff. When nobody wants the old hardware and it sets used, if there are games that catch my interest, and it is cheap to get into, I buy.
there is no spoon

Offline BLUEVOODU

• Administrator
  • Tom Nook
    • bluevoodu
    • R2EN546
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 12:20:51 PM »
@Grindspine - that make sense.  If it wasn't for my son... we probably could get away with 2.  Even back when I was able to game more (thinking when we played Tekken Tag Tournament 2)... I probably could've got away with 2 controllers.  If you can get a standard bundle, the prices aren't HORRIBLE... but they're not going down either.   I will be shocked if prices go back down after Corps were able to get them the last couple years - guitars, games, electronics, cars, houses...etc.  We might see some fluctuations... but I Think it would take a major crash for that to happen. crap... even some guitars I was looking at are now $1000 more due to wood prices... which technically HAVE come back down a bit.  Did those guitar prices? no.  People still bought.

@retro junkie - I think it would be costly to put the size of games today on a cart.  I know the Switch gets away with it.  Maybe I am wrong.  I wish the Ps5 was able to (like the ps3) play ps1-ps3 games.  So far, it's been a good console.  It's quieter for sure... but it's massive.   This is the largest system I have ever owned.  The capabilities are cool... and it's pretty fast.  I also opted for the version where I can play Physical Blu-Rays...etc. 

Offline CreepinDeth

• Delta Force Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 06:25:43 PM »
@retro junkieI wish the Ps5 was able to (like the ps3) play ps1-ps3 games.

That's what I was referring to when I wrote about BC. Microsoft put together a team that made as many Xbox and Xbox 360 games compatible. And most not just run but they come with FPS boosts and higher resolutions. Sometimes both!

I get that the PS3 was a pain but they should at least try to get some of those running on the PS5. There are too many games trapped in old gen consoles that would benefit from the stronger hardware. Not to mention, I paid for those games already. Those old consoles won't last forever.

Offline BLUEVOODU

• Administrator
  • Tom Nook
    • bluevoodu
    • R2EN546
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 01:39:48 PM »
@CreepinDeth That's pretty cool Microsoft did that... especially in a time when game companies are really trying to capitalize on re-releases and re-masters.  Did they make the games compatible via disc as well so you could just pop in your old game and play it on your new console?

I haven't been watching that closely, but I'm not exactly sure what would make a PS3 game more difficult to get running on a PS5.  Was it due to the programming on the PS3 "special processor" or something like that?