Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Everything Sega Genesis!!

Started by retro junkie, March 04, 2018, 10:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

Thought I would create a space for the Genesis/Mega Drive. Anything pertaining to the 16-bit console can be placed here. This was my first console I purchased. The SNES had not been released. I was 34 years old. My first game that I purchased with the console was Hellfire. Spent all my gaming time with that game instead of Sonic.

The NES was a spark that lit a flame. It was a time which you had to depend on gaming magazines for any information. And that was usually months old news. It was a time of heavy arcade influence in gaming. Small groups of programmers just barely able to find a space, like their garage, to work. PCs were finding their footing in gaming. The industry was breaking ground, laying foundations for the Generations of gaming consoles that followed. It was an exciting time that was full of energy and the atmosphere was electrifying. Those were days that I will long remember and glad I was there to be a part of them.

there is no spoon

retro junkie

I will take the first watch. Got into some gaming yesterday with the Genesis. Only a few games.

Undeadline アンデッドライン was ported to the Genesis, or Mega Drive Japan in 1991. And did not leave Japan. I have a reproduction fan translated cart. This is a Shoot'em up basically.

You get an over head view vertical scrolling with what looks to be a warrior. And I get the feel of the game Gauntlet while playing, except it is in an open environment. This means that the easy mode is not that easy and you are the target. I wish for obstacles to walk behind for protection. And in some areas you do find some. In "crazy" mode it is very suicidal. You can put your shield up but you cannot fire. Plenty of enemies continue to come your way. You have powerups and little helpers  that you pick up from treasure chests. It doesn't seem to last long but you do get three hits before you killover. Stages seem short, but long when you are in the middle of the continue barrage of enemies and bullets.

End stage bosses need a head shot, or at least the one I actually reached did. Don't walk into fire though. You can't kill fire. Fire will kill you. This game is so brutal.

Verytex ベリテックス a space shooter. Now this is what I love. Weapons, powerups, shields, bombs. Vertical scrolling shooter plowing through tons of those pesky galactic aliens bent on destroying our little corner of the universe. I think they have brain damage.

Levels seem long and satisfying.  Easy pick up and play fun. Music is good and catchy victory compositions.

Biggest problem is that when you are fully powered up and you are facing the end boss, if you lose it, you lose it all. No use trying with an under power ship.

WHAT!?  ??? How did that game get into my Genesis!!  :o This was supposed to be a shooter weekend!!! Saturday Night Slam Masters!?   Haggar's my man. Ummmm..... this game is a must play for anyone that loves a good Capcom fighter. This is my favorite wrestling game in the 16-bit era.

there is no spoon

retro junkie

Get Some! Get Some! Get Some!
MUSHA- Played through first level, bombed out with the boss, I usually do better than this. Mega Turrican- Got into the second level, water kept getting me and washing me away. Thunder Force 3- again could not get pass the first stage. This a bad day!! Truxton- very brutal but ended it in the second stage. A little happy with that one, after all it is Truxton.  Arrow Flash- Looks like second stage is all I can do today! What is it with these aliens today? I bombed out with Gaiares too. Nothing really clicked today. Sorry to everyone, your whole Galaxy has been destroyed. My prototype ship just could not do it today. LOL
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

LOL... Saturday Night SLam Masters :D  That was a pretty fun game.  I haven't played it in a LONG time.  Good Posts!

T&ESOFT made some good games.  I have not heard of Undeadline though... not at all.   

Did they publish Verytex on the Genesis? or Megadrive only?

Thank you for sharing these games.

retro junkie

Verytex was Japan only. Music and gameplay good little shmup.

Undeadline is brutal. I took photos after I wiped out everything on screen or I would have died and gone by the time I got the shot. It is brutal in a way that causes you to try it again, because this next time I am going to make it.
there is no spoon

CreepinDeth

I loved the Sega Genesis and I feel I enjoyed it over the SNES. And even though the Sega CD and 32X were cool, it messed up Sega for the future. Still though, Sonic the hedgehog, Streets of Rage, Mortal Kombat (with blood), X-Men 1 & 2. Great franchises.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more