Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Your Favorite Linux Desktop

Started by BLUEVOODU, July 30, 2021, 05:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

While we have a master Linux topic here: The Linux Topic and a few other topics, I figure we need more Linux topics to keep the conversation rolling!

What is your favorite Linux Desktop, why do you use it, and what are your favorite apps to use with the desktop?

Maybe we can get @Polygon and @trkorecky to chime in on this one as well  ;D

Post it up!

retro junkie

I have used linux since 1999. Those were the days of exploration, piddling, fiddling, adjusting, learning, and tinkering. There were many that I tried out, Libernet, Debian, Red Hat, Puppy, and I am sure there were more, before I settled on SuSe Linux, used that one for years until they were bought out. From there it was Debian for a while, before I latched onto Mint. From Mint I ran across Zorin, which is an excellent choice. I used that one to help my Daughter move successfully from Windows. Because I usually take pleasure in resurrecting some archaic hardware, I am presently using Bodhi Linux on a desktop because it is very minimalistic in its needs and is smooth, fast, and easy to use. Presently I look for something that recognizes my hardware, easy setup, user friendly GUI, and I can work on it, or just do daily stuff, documentation, net surfing, photo editing, etc. The last year or so I have been using MacBook and Mac Mini as my main rig. And because I am now retired, I have switched on my Bodhi rig. Present day, I just want to use my computer.

In those early days it was an accomplishment just to be able to print, connect to the net, or just to have all of your hardware recognized. And that is where I had a lot of fun, even learning to use some command lines. I use to purchase Linux magazines from the store shelf, and it would always include a CD in the middle with a new version of a distro, or some obscure release to play with. Linux has come a long way.
there is no spoon

CreepinDeth

@BLUEVOODU When you say desktop, do you mean the desktop environment like Gnome, KDE, etc? Or do you mean distro?

I don't really have a favorite of either one at the moment. I'm in the testing phase of my linux adventure. Started out with Zorin which uses Gnome and if I didn't want to game, it would be my daily driver. However, since I want to game on my machine, I installed Pop!_OS. It also uses Gnome so not much different than Zorin.

As for apps, Steam is a big one. I also use Firefox and Google Chrome. I wish I didn't have to use chrome anymore but there are some sites that I need that don't seem to like Firefox. I also installed Discord, Wine and Winetricks (for gaming purposes.) For game overlays, I installed Goverlay so that I can see my framerates and CPU/GPU usage in games. Although, I'm having a little trouble having it appear on games right now.

Here are the apps I've installed so far -

• Steam
  • Wine/Winetricks
  • Discord
  • VLC
  • OBS
  • KDENLIVE
  • Goverlay
  • GIMP
  • qBittorrent
  • Google Chrome

Polygon

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a Linux guy. Too much of what I do doesn't work in Linux. However, if MS continues doing the BS they're doing, I might start playing with a dual boot.

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth  - yes - KDE, Gnome, Mate...etc.  You're right on target.  Steam really seems to have supported Linux for a long time.  I don't know how many of the game requirements worked or went... but they were pretty early to the support scene.  At least regarding their app and platform.

We started using Mate desktop a bit more with Centos7.  I have not play tested it with 8 as much, but it offered a pretty good and clean experience.  If you have a chance, give it a try on a vm or separate machine.

@retro junkie --> I think I tinkered in 1999 and then started using Linux a little in 2000 or 2001... I believe it was.  It wasn't until recently that I really started to deep dive.  I've always been on the Windows side but have had to adapt for more microservices and devops styled automation. 

@Polygon  --> I hear you.  I think I need to make a topic for the crowd on the other side  ;D  Microsoft is sure playing around.  The last few years have been a bit odd.  Especially on the privacy front.

CreepinDeth

@BLUEVOODU - I've heard good things about MATE. I've also been reading that KDE has come a long way and is very nice now too.

I would like to try something other than GNOME. From all of the reading I've done, the developers of GNOME tend to be a little arrogant and seem to want to dictate what you should or shouldn't have. Which seems to go against the spirit of open-source/Linux.

I believe SteamOS 3.0 will be KDE, so I plan on installing that once it releases.

trkorecky

I've been running Windows 11 on my desktop and laptop since it's been generally available (not the leak) and... I'm undecided. It runs well on my desktop and I like some of the features coming to it and as a game dev won't be able to not use it, but it's definitely heavy and has made some changes I'm not fond of. It also runs super poorly on my laptop, though my CPU technically doesn't meet the minimum requirements (i7-6700HQ).

Been playing with Linux in a dual boot on both machines and I've been enjoying it a lot. EndeavourOS has been my distro of choice running their lightly customized XFCE desktop. It's a pretty minimal set of changes on top of Arch with a much simpler installer and it's been great for the few games I've loaded up and played. Will likely wipe my laptop and go full Linux once Windows 11 officially launches, but I'm sure I'll keep dual-booting on my desktop. Will definitely have to implement a Vulkan path in my toy renderer to be able to continue development across both OS platforms.

That said, I am intrigued by building up my own Gentoo installation to see how minimal and stripped down I can get everything.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more