Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

unread trouble

Started by targetrasp, March 11, 2018, 12:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

targetrasp

Typically I'll click on my name and go to unread to view anything new, but I've started to notice that sometimes the unread will be empty but when I go into the individual boards there will be posts flagged as new that I've not seen. At least once that same thing has happened except for the posts marked new weren't actually new.

EGA seemed to do similar

BLUEVOODU

How recent are those posts?  IE are they very new?  Much older?  Just since the last time you were online?

targetrasp

not sure, I should have paid more attention

BLUEVOODU

Keep an eye on it... sorry to ask for more details. When you have a few of those details.... I'll see what I can do to ask over at SMF.

targetrasp

(using the general discussion section as an example)

Right now when I click unread it shows only 5 unread topics, 3 from the general discussion section.

when I load the home page and click general discussion I show 8 with the new flag. The three showing unread in both places are the threads thoughts on layout, best buy bathrooms, the following domains... the ones only flagged when I access the general discussion section from the home page are "how has graphics, testing mod, e-notify, 2 ways to view, and thinking of combining"

I'm assuming if "new" flag is synonomous with unread. I mean if someone amends their post wouldn't it show in my unread section as well as be flagged new? Surely 5 items just in general discussion weren't amended so that's probably a bad line of thought to start with...

not sure man, not sure

targetrasp

I think it's just an issue of nomenclature. when using a different theme "unread" doesn't exist. there's recent unread topics and updated topics. I'm wondering if Manas just had it mis-named.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: targetrasp on March 12, 2018, 08:13:12 AM
I think it's just an issue of nomenclature. when using a different theme "unread" doesn't exist. there's recent unread topics and updated topics. I'm wondering if Manas just had it mis-named.
You know what... that might be exactly what it is.  Have you tried the vVide theme?

targetrasp

I switched to the theme everyone else was using and the little circles next to the topics now work like they should (different color when somethings new) and well everything else we talked about

BLUEVOODU

Hopefully in the next month or two I'll be able to develop our own theme.  So far, the vVide theme works pretty well ... especially for mobile.  But I found a few things that I'd like different.

I still notice some indicators being slightly off.  This is a different host so I have a feeling it has something to do with caching and the accelerators installed / are allowed to be installed.

targetrasp

now that you mention it at least 2 indicators have stayed on since I read everything... ooh first world problems

BLUEVOODU

lol yeah.  1st world problems.  Check to see if they 'go off' in 20-30 seconds.

If not, going back to the board and backing out usually does the trick

targetrasp

If you have the last post does it stay lit, even though you last posted?

BLUEVOODU

Yes if I had the last post.  Sometimes the post may say new too... sometimes not.

And if I reply to that, I get the message alert that bluevoodu posted a reply.  I start to feel special then.....  :(
Lol