Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Nintendo Switch - Who Bought one? And What are your thoughts?

Started by BLUEVOODU, January 31, 2018, 05:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

I bought one... I think it's a great concept.  The idea of taking something like a console around and able to connect easily over at a friend's house (or other meeting place) for multiplayer gaming madness is a great concept.   It's a concept many consoles have lost...

I can't wait to get Splatoon 2.  Splatoon was a ridiculously fun game.

targetrasp

I got it, I love it, but it seems like there's a loooong wait between good games.

Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids, and Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart (although its hard to count because I had it on the Wii U) have been my main purchases.

I didn't spend as much time with Splatoon 2 as I did the first one but it's way more balanced.

BLUEVOODU

I want Splatoon 2 something fierce.  That will be my next buy.

What about Mario Rabbids?   Any good?  That looked like an awesome xcom Mario... but I heard some negative stuff about it that prevented me from getting it.

We are talking about bringing our switches to work and connecting them over lunch for multiplayer gaming. 

targetrasp

I thought Mario + Rabbids was good. There wasn't as many moving pieces as Xcom which is to be expected factoring in Mario's target audience.

mastermario

I've got it. Only game is Mario Odyssey which is pretty good. Not really aware of everything that can be done with the Switch in general. Looking for more decent games for it.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: targetrasp on February 02, 2018, 07:22:55 AM
I thought Mario + Rabbids was good. There wasn't as many moving pieces as Xcom which is to be expected factoring in Mario's target audience.
Yeah... I understand that.  It just looks like a lot of fun.

Quote from: mastermario on February 03, 2018, 07:13:49 PM
I've got it. Only game is Mario Odyssey which is pretty good. Not really aware of everything that can be done with the Switch in general. Looking for more decent games for it.

At this time, that's all I have as well.  Pretty good game.  We are going to play  Mario Kart at Work and looking into splatoon, but you can only play 1 per console then.

targetrasp

Zelda
Splatoon
Mario Kart
Mario Rabbids
Mario Odyssey

Are all that's worth it so far.

I almost didn't list Mario kart because it was on wii u first and is dang near the same game...

There's more that's fun but they've been better and were released earlier on other platforms. I'll end up buying a second Switch because my son has moved the one we own into his bedroom but really, it'd only be to play Zelda without having to move the system.

Kinikko

I love mine.  I have a good 10 or so games for it, but I hardly ever play it.  >_< 

I'm more frustrated with how many of the games are just ports.  :-\  I probably have the most time put into Pokken, but that's probably only because my Wii U broke and I never got another one to play the original game.
moo.

targetrasp

It doesn't look like its going to get any better any time soon. There's 20 - 30ish Switch games in various stages of development rumored to be released sometime soon and it's mostly indie crap.

Konami, Capcom, Sunsoft, Hal, Data East, Rare, Tecmo, Ultra, Taito, Enix, Hudson - All put out Quality games for Nintendo while they churned out 1st party gold in what seems like a more timely fashion.

Now we've got indie devs churning out rehashes of what the afore mentioned crowd made 30 years ago while actual devs seem to be for the most part ignoring the switch.

To be fair the words "indie crap" were harsh. I feel like that stuff has a place... A steam holiday sale where I buy it for around $5.00 so I can justify paying money for something I probably won't get 4 good hours out of. $20.00 + for a console release is robbery.

CreepinDeth

Can't totally blame publishers for the prices. Cartridge prices are significantly higher than blu-rays. However, digital only games should be priced accordingly.

I have a Switch. Before it was even announced, I kept thinking to myself how I would just love to play a high budget game in my bed. The only thing is that it's just a regular Tegra X1, so ports of games are a downgrade overall. I actually haven't played it at all since I got it. My wife has been playing Zelda mainly.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: CreepinDeth on February 21, 2018, 12:52:36 AM
Can't totally blame publishers for the prices. Cartridge prices are significantly higher than blu-rays. However, digital only games should be priced accordingly.

Yeah... They will never price those accordingly.   They make too much money.  It would be nice if they split the savings with the end consumer - go half! 

I want Zelda for this... just haven't purchased yet.  Probably will wait a bit longer.  It looks so pretty lol.

targetrasp

The digital media has been so counter intuitive... When I find fantastic sales it's always on physical merchandise. Retailers are steadfast in only taking advantage of digital media's convenience. Sometimes I'll preorder a physical copy of a movie and end up buying a digital copy because it came out sooner, but rarely do I get a good price.

Steam has been the notable exception to the rule.

BLUEVOODU

Sounds like We need a digital Distribution topic!  :)

Keep posting up your switch thoughts.

CreepinDeth

Their way of communicating for online multiplayer does not seem very intuitive. I mean, I do get why they're doing it this way but it still doesn't seem to be conducive to a great multiplayer experience.

For those who don't know, you need to communicate through a smart phone app. You can't do it directly through the Switch.

BLUEVOODU

Yeah... that sucks.

Have you heard if that will change with the pay to play online for the switch?  If they require pay for online... the least they should do is provide some of these features.

targetrasp

no wonder they're only talking about it being $20 annually

Mai Valentine

Nintendo's just really gun shy about online gaming because there's a lot of potential for harassment and other stuff that's not very family friendly. If you've ever played games online on XBL or PSN I'm sure you know what I mean. Trash talking taken to the extreme and you can't police that very well.

Personally I don't have a Switch yet, and right now I really only want it for Breath of the Wild, but I can just play that on my Wii U if it comes down to it. I'll probably wait until it at least drops to the $200 range to pick it up, and by then more games should be available.

BLUEVOODU

I can understand that.   I Remember on Gears of War 3 Xbox Live... I had a bad round and some dude leaving me a message to never play the game again (in so many words) lol.

Funny enough... those scenarios only have ever happened on Xbox Live.  Never had that issue on PlayStation 3 / 4.  Even outside of family friendly... those experiences ruin it for a lot of gamers.  Especially those that just want to be casual and not

In fact, I created the worst online experiences thread:
Post Your Worst Online Gaming Experiences