Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Toys R US to Close all US Stores

Started by BLUEVOODU, March 18, 2018, 12:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

And I believe UK... several articles out there... but sharing this one:
bankrupt-toys-r-us-is-closing-all-us-and-uk-stores
- Engadget.com

It is a little surprising they are closing ALL stores.  Looks like risky business practices are in part to blame.  They had great Video Game sales at times.   When the Wii, Ps3, and Xbox 360 were huge... I used to buy during their game sales.  We used to also get Lego's when they had really good Lego sales.  We haven't seen those sales in awhile.

Well.. their misfortune may be your gain.   You may be able to find awesome gaming deals from them as they close.

Kinikko

Yeah 800 stores closing all because the CEO made some bad decisions.  :/  I used to shop at Toys R Us all the time.  It's pretty sad to see it go.
moo.

BLUEVOODU

I'm still reading into it... but it definitely does look like bad decisions were made.  33,000 jobs will be terminated... many of which don't make much.   That's pretty crappy - I knew they weren't doing well... but didn't think they were doing bad enough to close completely down.  I was expecting store closures / scale backs.

Kinikko

At first it was only supposed to just be a handful of stores.  Then a couple days later they just decided to pull the plug on all of them.  :/
moo.

targetrasp

I just drove by Asheville's one toy's r us and it there was a half dozen cars in the parking lot. It's sad. When I was a kid going to toys r us was a huge deal. The place was crowded, a dood in a giraffe costume was handing out promotionals and there was wall to wall kids. now it's nothing...

BLUEVOODU

That is pretty sad....

I still remember when they had the Virtual Boy on display. LOL... and Turbo Grafx 16.

I was able to get my Nintendo 64 copy of Wave Race a week early from them.   I heard a rumor they received their shipment... so I called and said... "hey, I received a call my pre-order was in.  I wanted to be sure before I came and picked it up."   I went over and got it... LOL... gloated to my buddy - "Guess what I got."  He tried and was denied  ;D 

Man... that was before R Zone as well.  You had to pick up your game at a caged in area.  All they had out were Plastic Slip covers with a picture of the game cover on it.  If I remember right... you had to take a slip of paper to the caged in area to pick up your game.

targetrasp

They always had the coolest displays, them and EB at the mall. I remember begging for a jaguar, a 3d0, and a neo geo.... never got any..... the 3d0 and neo geo was over 600 each and I think the jaguar was like 250... insane for early 90's

retro junkie

All of their internet sites closed down on Friday. Stores are the only thing left, liquidating.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

I just got back from the Toys R' Us in Asheville and the liquidation is in full swing. The store looks to be already half empty and while the discount signs say up to 30% the majority of toys is 10%. Lego and other construction sets were at 5%, Easter was at 20% and almost gone, some off brand something had a tiny stand up from for 30% off and everything else was 10%.

I was looking for a shot of nostalgia but instead found sadness. It felt like walking through your dead grandmother's house during an estate sale. My kids didn't even seem all that jazzed. Parker got a bike and Chloe got a hand full of crap from the Claires section (yeah Toys R Us has a Claire's section) and they just weren't all that amazed.

I bought a play and charge for my xbone and the Zelda Monopoly game and really didn't save anything. The discounting wasn't enough to keep up with Walmart or Amazon. 

Kinikko

Quote from: targetrasp on March 31, 2018, 08:44:22 PM
I bought a play and charge for my xbone and the Zelda Monopoly game and really didn't save anything. The discounting wasn't enough to keep up with Walmart or Amazon. 

This. I worked for Kmart during a liquidation when they closed all the stores in my county. I worked ad set in the soft home section for 2 years. Almost every week pillows were on sale for at least 30-40% off and they sold okay, not amazing but people did buy some. First week of liquidation they were only 10% off and I came in the next day and literally every pillow got bought. Made me cry a little inside.
moo.

targetrasp

By the time the discount gets good all that'll be left is power rangers and shoes for American girl dolls.

Same thing happend at our KMart. I waited until the 50 - 80% signs were up and saw a lot of empty shelves, dvds that had 29.99 price tags that half price was still double what they retailed for elsewhere, and the most random crap imaginable.

I bought an electric icecream maker for 5 - 10 dollars.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: Kinikko on March 31, 2018, 09:14:11 PM

This. I worked for Kmart during a liquidation when they closed all the stores in my county. I worked ad set in the soft home section for 2 years. Almost every week pillows were on sale for at least 30-40% off and they sold okay, not amazing but people did buy some. First week of liquidation they were only 10% off and I came in the next day and literally every pillow got bought. Made me cry a little inside.

Ugh that's so frustrating and dumb. I have many other stories like this   ...

Targetrasp... that's a bummer to see things end like that...

There used to be a furniture store around here that would go out of business every couple years.  Don't know what the story was - wasn't privy to it... but it I bet they made a decent amount doing that. Now they're. Closed for good - as far as I know.

targetrasp

It seems like every furniture store goes out of business at least 10 times before it actually goes out of business