Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Blast from the Past Article: Gamecube to sell for $199 - Console Wars

Started by BLUEVOODU, March 19, 2018, 09:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

LOL... here is a blast from the past.  I accidentally stumbled over it today.

<a href="http://money.cnn.com/2001/05/21/companies/gamecube/>Gamecube to sell for $199 - Nintendo undercuts Sony and Microsoft in console wars  - CNN.com</a>

This was back when CNN was a little better... also before September where life and the world we knew it changed drastically.  Ah... the good old console wars.  I miss those days at times. 

Quoting from the Article:
QuoteUnlike the Xbox and the PlayStation2, the GameCube does not offer a DVD player. Nintendo says this was a deliberate move, meant to focus the machine on nothing but gaming.

I remember when that was such a controversy.  Personally.. I didn't care because I had 4 other DVD players at the time.  BUT for others, I get why they would want it - to consolidate.

What do you remember?   What are your thoughts?  Post it up!

targetrasp

It took me forever to get a gamecube.

I ended up taking my entire Atari 2600 collection, 300 nes games, and about 25 snes games as well as a bevvy of controllers and randomness to a person with a used game shop and bringing back a gamecube, a neo geo aes, and a single slot mvs cabinet and about a dozen aes and mvs games on top of some other crap I was looking for (ogre battle, panzer dragoon saga, conkers bad fur day, etc.). Dollar for dollar it was as close to an even trade as I could figure. They needed inventory and I got to cherry pick. This was 2002 - 2003ish, probably a good year or two after the cube released.

BLUEVOODU

I'm wondering who made out better on that deal.  It seems like you  walked away pretty well situated.  Nice!  Do you remember the AES games you walked away with that day?

I still have an AES cabinet - Traded a brand new PS2 for it lol... and drove to get it.  I really need a new MVS board with proper connection as mine has the harness.  Works perfectly visually but sound is no go due to the board.  Another topic another time on that one.  I need to revisit the Neo Geo in some posts here.

I remember playing Rogue Squadron for the 1st time.  That game still looks pretty good today.  Back then... it was beautiful and the sound was great.   We were coming of the PSX and N64 eras...  so the Gamecube was a very nice upgrade.

targetrasp

Samurai Showdown, Art of fighting (can't remember which one) alpha mission 2, nam 75, and one of the world heroes for the aes and mvs was a couple of KOFs (I think the cabinet was actually kof 2) nam 75, samurai showdown 2, and one or two others I can't remember off the top of my head.

I actually gave the cabinet (I think it was the same one, I had one or two off and on) to my half brother for safe keeping when my kids mother started "making room" and danged if he didn't sell it off.

He's more than made up for it years later but I really miss playing nam 75 on a cabinet.

BLUEVOODU

lol... man... wars have been started over much less than that @targetrasp wow... that sucks.

That's good he made up for it - maybe apologized and stuff like that... but whew I Think I would be a bit hot on that one.

retro junkie

I thought that the Gamecube was Nintendo's perfect entry into the world of disc based gaming. I loved the small disc. Been a while since I had mine out being that you can use those games on the Wii. Embarrassing, I know, for a retro gamer.

Lot of good gaming can still be found on this system.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

What's funny about that is the GameCube was largely overlooked and it had awesome titles. It really didn't gain in popularity until the Wii was out.  Then you couldn't find GameCube games new or used anywhere for a few years.  It didn't slow down.

Kudos to Nintendo for the backwards compatibility without having to rebuy the digital game - at the time. Now it's changed for all companies again.