Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Halo 1's campaign is nearly perfect

Started by Boomsickle, March 25, 2018, 09:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomsickle

Recently, a friend and I borrowed an Xbone from my sister and we made the ambitious plan of going through the games one after another on Legendary. So far we've only been able to complete Halo 1 since I had to leave for housesitting, but my god, that game is absolutely fantastic. Not exactly a groundbreaking opinion, but ever since growing older and learning more about game design, I can finally pinpoint exactly what I love so much about this campaign.

The game starts you off in the first mission with only two enemy types, the Grunts and the Elites. Niether enemy require any fancy tricks, you can just mow them down with the assault rifle you're provided, and they appear in close enough groups to where you can pretty much throw a grenade anywhere and get carnage. It's guilty fun and great for anyone who's never played a shooter in their life.

The next level introduces jackals, who have energy shields. You can't attack them from the front like every other enemy, and since this us the mission where you first step foot on Halo itself, It gives you the impression that the enemies you fought before were just a hastily slapped together strike team, while the enemies now are more prepared and ready because you're on their turf now.

I have a lot more to say but I mostly want to just get this post out there before I get shy. It's good to be on a forum again!

BLUEVOODU

Great post Boomsickle.  Post up whatever else you have to say. Don't be shy around here... post up and post often... your comments are welcome.    The more the merrier.

mastermario

Good to see you again, @Boomsickle! Sorry I missed this post, hope to see you around!

Halo 1 campaign is really good. I remember how terrified I was when they introduced the Flood for the first time. Hate those things.

On legendary, things can get a little repetitive but not too bad. The Library is brutal.