Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Nintendo's New Chief Sees 1B Future in Mobile Gaming -cnet.com

Started by BLUEVOODU, May 01, 2018, 11:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

Nintendo's New Chief Sees 1B Future in Mobile Gaming -cnet.com

This really isn't shocking.  The article mentions Pokémon Go and the success from that game... It appears they're going to start loosening their belt and bring more games to Mobile platforms.  This would be a big difference from how Nintendo has conducted business in the past.   

Interesting aspect of this article - They stated Pokémon Go was more popular than Facebook

Thoughts?  Comments?  Post it up!

targetrasp

Mobile is such a volatile platform. For every candy crush there's 202345420 other King games and 100 times that in clones. On minute your game is fire, the next your mom is playing it and you're already three games past it. At the pace it takes to keep relevant in the mobile industry I can see some Nintendo IPs getting stale. Yeah yeah, Mario is pushing 40 but the life cycle of a console game is so much different. Even with him (still using mario as an example) in multiple games (kart games, smash bros, party, platformer, sports...) Nintendo has some how managed to keep Mario fresh, relevant, and above all not played out. If we start throwing Nintendo royalty at every mobile idea coming and going it could be the death of a cash cow, if not the entire heard.

Mobile is money though. Nintendo could develop for mobile, just stick to stuff like pokemon go for their man IPs and throw some interns out coding what may be the next angry birds or candy crush. Use it to experiment with new ideas, gague reception, and bring those mobile games over to the land of consoles. Grab that crowd that fueled the wii's sales and bring them back. There's room for mobile just broaden it, don't pander to the crowd, make them pander to you.

Mai Valentine

I think they really just need to look out for artificially creating demand for cash shop items.

I stopped playing Animal Crossing Pocket Camp because so many furniture items require absurd amounts of cotton, and there's not enough villagers that give that out, and the ones that do give cotton don't give a large amount, so you end up gated behind having to wait until you get enough cotton. Unless of course, you're willing to pay real money. Which I wasn't.

Pokemon Go makes it easier to get stuff if you play enough without having to pay. If you run out of Pokeballs you just hit more Pokestops and eventually you'll get what you need.

BLUEVOODU

@Mai Valentine What is Animal Crossing Pocket Camp?  I cannot believe I haven't heard of this Animal Crossing game.

Mai Valentine

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on May 17, 2018, 10:57:09 PM
@Mai Valentine What is Animal Crossing Pocket Camp?  I cannot believe I haven't heard of this Animal Crossing game.

It's an Animal Crossing game for your cell phone. It has a lot of interesting features but I feel like it lacks the charm of some of the console releases. Mostly because you can play those for hours at a time, but Pocket Camp was designed in a way that you run out of things to do quickly if you play too much. It's meant to be a time waster, play a few minutes here and there while you're in between doing other things. They've added a ton of stuff since it came out, but I just can't get back into it.