Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Booklets and 3DS games

Started by retro junkie, May 02, 2018, 07:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

Are there any games for the 3DS that has booklets? Or was the DS generation the last ones to get them? I suddenly missed them when I received a few DS games I had purchased online. I opened the case and there was this big thick booklet. Warm fuzzies here, I will admit.

I like those big thick booklets and stuff like that with my games!
there is no spoon

targetrasp

The trend stopped sometime ago. I've got 3ds games like Adventure time and Pokémon Y that have books, Zelda Triforce heroes, Metroid Samus Returns, etc. does not.

Kinikko

I find that sometimes they're just have a little pamphlet paper and not like a whole book, but most of the time there's nothing in there.
moo.

retro junkie

Here is my recent new game Children of Mana vs. Project X Zone. Hate these type of changes. I am sure it is a money thing.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

it seems a good way to cut costs / push people to buy the collectors editions. Anymore there's at best a sheet telling you where to view the manual online.

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie Even the collectors editions do not include manuals.  Shadow of the Tomb Raider collectors edition with Steel Book for $90 didn't include a manual.

I was pleasantly when the Nintendo Switch  Flashback 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition included a manual... a color one at that!!

So it's hit and miss.  Like @targetrasp mentioned... it's an easy place to save money, but IMO they should keep manuals in the collector's editions at least.  But... it looks like even collector's editions are hit and miss.

CreepinDeth

Considering games hold your hand and have in depth tutorials before you begin your campaigns, they're not really necessary. It also saves money.

Personally, I think it's better to have less paper being used so I'm fine with no manuals. It also makes it easier to collect since you don't have to worry about your game being incomplete if you buy it second hand.

targetrasp

I don't know that I ever read the instructions anyway... I was so excited about getting into the game they were an after thought.

@CreepinDeth - very true, one thing less to obsess over for those completionists

retro junkie

I just loved the books. I use to like thumbing through them and loving the character artwork that would be in them. Especially the RPG booklets. Here is what I am talking about. I eat this stuff up. Two of my favorite RPGs for the PS1, complete.

there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp @CreepinDeth yeah.... fine... I'll agree... it's one less thing to obsess about.  And I cannot tell you the last time I actually looked at a manual.   ;D 

@retro junkie - Good stuff... I had a few of those Lunar games come through the shop complete like that.  I haven't see those in about 12 years.  Those are nice games.

targetrasp

which one had the dragon poop in it?

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: targetrasp on May 03, 2018, 11:12:48 PM
it seems a good way to cut costs / push people to buy the collectors editions. Anymore there's at best a sheet telling you where to view the manual online.

@targetrasp  Anymore... there's not even a sheet telling you that.  Most Switch games don't have a paper... nothing about Nintendo Online OR any other Nintendo Services.

LOL... there was one that had Dragon Poop?  Is that right, @retro junkie ?

retro junkie

LOL... there was one that had Dragon Poop?  Is that right, @retro junkie ?
[/quote]

You know, I can't remember. I am going to need to begin playing these things all over again. @BLUEVOODU
there is no spoon

targetrasp

Found it. Lunar Silver Star on Sega Cd. @ 13:00

Spoiler: ShowHide

the youtube title shows a dirty word so I hid it with the spoiler feature