Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

God of War

Started by Jack, May 03, 2018, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Alright, so who's been playing the latest God of War? I managed to snag my copy early and have been playing it pretty rigorously since then. I am beyond happy with how the game has turned out and I can't wait for more installments in the franchise following this Norse mythology (and possibly other mythologies as hinted in the game). What are your thoughts?

BLUEVOODU

@Jack I'm very interested in this title.  I have not picked it up yet.  The Epic boss battles... those were great in the older versions and I'm hearing VERY good things about the newest version.

How does this play and look compared to the PS3 versions?

Mai Valentine

Ok so admittedly I've only played the very first God of War and I don't think I ever finished it. How much would that affect playing this game? Is it friendly to people new to the series, in other words?

Jack

@BLUEVOODU

It looks absolutely FANTASTIC, the visuals are breathtaking. It's not often that I'll stop playing a game just to pan the camera around and get a good grasp of the environment but this game definitely made me do that at several points. The environments are out of this world. As for how the game plays/handles, it's completely different than the other games. It plays from the third person perspective and has a new combat system entirely, more akin to Dark Souls. There are still some nods to the original GoW combat (such as rage mode and certain special attacks) but it's a new experience entirely. The game has a loot system, crafting system, and skill trees that are super in-depth compared to previous versions. 10/10 would recommend this title.

@Mai Valentine

So this is technically a sequel to GoW 3 but it's also a reboot of the series, if that makes sense. Like I said above, it has an entirely new combat system and mechanics. There a LOT of nods to Kratos' past in this game so having knowledge of the previous titles is definitely a plus and makes the experience better overall, I would say, but it is not completely necessary in order to enjoy the game. I know plenty of people who have little to no experience playing the other games and they loved this game which actually made them want to play the other ones. It starts up a new story entirely so you can definitely jump into this one and have an incredible adventure, even without knowledge of previous games.

Aya-Kun

Amazing game no regrets on buying it loving every second of it, like the story so far and it looks absolutely stunning

I agree with @Jack that you don't need to really have played the previous or even liked the originals as the way they have rebooted it is so much better I think, I prefer the new controls and play style than the original game

BLUEVOODU

@Aya-Kun and @Jack ...I think you convinced me to buy this game. I might wait for it to come down on price a bit. Sounds like it's a must have.

Jack

@BLUEVOODU I've never recommended a game more in my life. It is absolutely worth the full price, I don't think the game will go down anytime soon.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: Jack on May 07, 2018, 12:17:41 PM
@BLUEVOODU I've never recommended a game more in my life. It is absolutely worth the full price, I don't think the game will go down anytime soon.

Thanks @Jack - sigh... I probably won't be buying a lot in the next few months... I'll need to look at this in the near future.  This is high up on the buy list now. 

Jack

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on May 17, 2018, 07:36:54 PM
Quote from: Jack on May 07, 2018, 12:17:41 PM

Thanks @Jack - sigh... I probably won't be buying a lot in the next few months... I'll need to look at this in the near future.  This is high up on the buy list now.

I'd let you borrow it if we were neighbors, bro.

Polygon

This is one I'm interested in playing even though I've never played any other titles in the series. I'm going to wait for it to come down in price or buy it used though.