Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

My Present Top 10 on the N64!

Started by retro junkie, May 08, 2018, 07:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

Present Top ten, in no discernible order, even though Bangai-O is now playing.  ;)

Bangai-O
Ridge Racer 64
Star Fox 64
Sin and Punishment
Bust-A-Move: Arcade
Robotron 64
Wipeout 64
Hydro Thunder
Goemon's Great Adventure
Kirby 64

This list can change suddenly, in a mood swing, or on a whelm, even though almost half of these are written in cement.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

You're missing Mario, Zelda, Mario kart, and 007

retro junkie

Never played 007. First person shooters causes motion sickness for me. So I stay away from those type games.

And I have actually clocked in more hours on the games in my list above than Mario 64, Zelda, or Mario Kart. Ridge Racer and Robotron being my heavy hitters.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

You're missing out then! I didn't realize first person shooters could do that until it happened to a friend a few years ago. We started playing multiplayer FPS in college with 007 then Perfect Dark. Both amazing and top ten worthy N64 games, if you're into FPS games. Crysis or Call of Duty got to him a few years back and he's limited his exposure to FPS games ever since. He did buy a HTC Vive and hasn't had issue with it, which I'd imagine would be more disorienting than an FPS game...

I wonder if TVs could do it in general? My first 4k bravia had a pretty lousy processor so in 4k games with fast motions I defiantly noticed some blurring.. I wonder if that's what's getting to people. There is a big difference in $500 sets and $1500 sets, when watching something other than broadcast tv.

Kinikko

Ooo I'll definitely have to make a list of my own for you guys when I have a bit of time later.  XD  Off the top of my head though Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Harvest Moon 64 for sure. 
moo.

retro junkie

Quote from: targetrasp on May 09, 2018, 07:39:01 AM
You're missing out then! I didn't realize first person shooters could do that until it happened to a friend a few years ago. We started playing multiplayer FPS in college with 007 then Perfect Dark. Both amazing and top ten worthy N64 games, if you're into FPS games. Crysis or Call of Duty got to him a few years back and he's limited his exposure to FPS games ever since. He did buy a HTC Vive and hasn't had issue with it, which I'd imagine would be more disorienting than an FPS game...

I wonder if TVs could do it in general? My first 4k bravia had a pretty lousy processor so in 4k games with fast motions I defiantly noticed some blurring.. I wonder if that's what's getting to people. There is a big difference in $500 sets and $1500 sets, when watching something other than broadcast tv.

I have often wondered if it had anything to do with a TV's refresh rate and the fps of the game. I have Perfect Dark for the 64, but could not get into it because of the motion thing. There was one action platform game I had the same issue with, I think it was for the gamecube, and I think it was Vexx. There was just something about that game I could not handle. I have been thinking about picking up 007 just to have it in my collection.
there is no spoon

Kinikko

This list is pretty much all nostalgia based and what I played when I was growing up.

my list: ShowHide
Goldeneye 007
Perfect Dark
Harvest Moon 64
Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Paper Mario
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi's Story
WrestleMania 2000

Goldeneye 007
Perfect Dark

• These two have super nostalgia factors with the multiplayer aspect of it.  I would play these for houurrrrrrs with my cousin. :3

Harvest Moon 64

• My first video game addiction.

Super Mario 64

• Don't think many people can say that this is a bad game. 

Wave Race 64

• Seems like an odd one, I know, but for a little while it was like my only game I had on my N64 so I have a lot of fond memories of it. 

Paper Mario

• I actually remember my mother renting this for me thinking it was some form of "Paperboy" game.  XD

Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium

• LOVE the N64 Pokemon games.  I still play them to this day.

Yoshi's Story

• Yoshi is like legit one of my favorite video game characters of all time. 

WrestleMania 2000

• This game kinda belongs up with the first two.  My cousin and I would play this game non-stop. 
moo.

targetrasp

I never understood the waveracer / hydro thunder reverence so many people still have.

When compiling a top ten list it's HARD for me to qualify a racing game of any flavor. It just seems like there's less to the game. Puzzles, sports, and shooters are similar. While I love and enjoy them, they just don't have the depth of a platformer or a rpg...

Once you start getting into the top 25 top 50 then they get peppered in.

Jack

Nice list! Here's my list in no particular order...

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Smash Bros
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Snap
Gauntlet Legends (holy shit this game is amazing)
Paper Mario
Yoshi's Story
Doom 64 (highly underrated gem)
Starfox 64
Turok 1 and 2
Banjo Kazooie
Mario Kart 64

There are more games that I could definitely add to that list, but that about sums up the ones I can think of off the top of my head. The N64 is, without a doubt, my favorite system of all time.

Jack

Nice list! Here's my list in no particular order...

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Smash Bros
Mario Party 1 and 2
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Snap
Gauntlet Legends (holy shit this game is amazing)
Paper Mario
Yoshi's Story
Doom 64 (highly underrated gem)
Starfox 64
Turok 1 and 2
Banjo Kazooie
Mario Kart 64

There are more games that I could definitely add to that list, but that about sums up the ones I can think of off the top of my head. The N64 is, without a doubt, my favorite system of all time.

Jack

Whoops, I accidentally double posted somehow. @BLUEVOODU Please delete this post, lol.

retro junkie

I see Paper Mario has made it on a couple of lists. That is a very good game. Love it. Glad they put that on the N64.
One game that was a surprise for me was Pokemon Snap. I just casually purchased that game because I saw it cheap. And was suddenly surprised to find it so much fun. I really have enjoyed that game.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

I've had that same thought. Is it really fun? I don't know that I've really given a pokemon game a fair chance.

Jack

It's a damn shame they never made another Pokémon Snap. They could do soooooo much with modern technology.

retro junkie

Quote from: targetrasp on May 10, 2018, 09:22:40 PM
I've had that same thought. Is it really fun? I don't know that I've really given a pokemon game a fair chance.

I personally would not classify it as a Pokemon game, in the traditional sense, other than the fact that it has Pokemon in it. From my perspective it is basically a rail shooter in its underlying gameplay. You are taking pictures of Pokemon that you see as you ride through an outdoor zoo. You are graded on the composition of the photo and sometimes a rare Pokemon. Replay value is built around "getting them all" and taking a better picture. Sort of a high score thing.

And to me it is a lot of fun.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

ok... Here's the BV list  ;D  Not in any particular order

Blastcorps
Majoras Mask
Sin and Punishment
Ocarina of Time
Mario 64
Snowboard Kids
PerfectDark
Goldeneye
Mario Kart 64
Banjo-Kazooie

VERY CLOSE to the list:
Wave Race 64
Tetrisphere
Bomberman 64
Pilot Wings 64
Didi Kong Racing
Turok 1 and 2
Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

It's hard to make a list because my top 10 sometimes changes with mood and circumstance as well