Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

How Do you manage your Playstation 4 (PS4) Storage?

Started by BLUEVOODU, May 08, 2018, 09:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

I noticed @Strubes mentioned he had a CRAP ton of games in this thread:
Re: Playstation 4 - Is it your main console?

On the Vita, I bought the 64GB memory card... and even filled that up at one point.   On my PS4, I installed a 1TB hard drive... but might actually expand it at some point.

So what do you do to manage your storage?   It becomes more of a problem when more games require them to be installed... if I am correct, all games are read off the Hard Drive now  - could be wrong.  Also, Games are much larger these days topping 60-80GB.  11 Games and you've almost filled a 1TB hard drive.

Comments? Thoughts? Post it up!

Strubes

So, I have a 1 TB HDD in my PS4. I have 872 games purchased, and between 175-200 installed at one time. I strictly buy digital since I split cost with a friend via game sharing. I tend to keep only a handful of games that are large on my HDD at a time. I switch em out as I beat them, mostly. 😊

Kinikko

I use an external HD that I install games and stuff on. Only thing is that it gets unplugged by my cats sometimes when they horse around near it. XD
moo.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: Kinikko on May 08, 2018, 10:00:42 PM
I use an external HD that I install games and stuff on. Only thing is that it gets unplugged by my cats sometimes when they horse around near it. XD
LOL @Kinikko   NO KITTAH!!!!!!!!   How do you work it with the external HardDrive?  I really haven't done this - is it fast enough run all games?  Or are there some games you noticed a bit slower loading...etc?

@Strubes How in the crap do you still have 175-200 installed?  The majority must be pretty small - obviously.

Aya-Kun

I have a 2tb external hd which is just pug in to the usb at the front, don't really notice any difference in loading speeds either

Have just had a look cause I couldn't remember the size and see i've almost filed my external XD might have to do a bit of clearing out of that one with stuff I don't play

CreepinDeth

The default drives that come with the PS4 are 5400RPM anyways, so an external HD shouldn't be much of a difference. Actually, SSDs barely improve speeds anyways so your experience is going to be consistent regardless.

I have an external for my Xbox 360 and I don't notice a difference. I'll probably get one eventually for my PS4.

targetrasp

I have launch ps4's so there's 500 gb's on each... that have long since been filled up. Between downloading psn's free games and buying everything I can get my hands on I've had to be 4tb expansion drives for each of the two ps4s in the house.

Strubes

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on May 08, 2018, 10:02:33 PM
Quote from: Kinikko on May 08, 2018, 10:00:42 PM
LOL @Kinikko   NO KITTAH!!!!!!!!   How do you work it with the external HardDrive?  I really haven't done this - is it fast enough run all games?  Or are there some games you noticed a bit slower loading...etc?

@Strubes How in the crap do you still have 175-200 installed?  The majority must be pretty small - obviously.

@BLUEVOODU , Yep! Around 80-90% of my games are under 5GBs. A small portion are between 5-20GBs and a very small portion are above that. I like to try a little bit of everything, so I'm ALWAYS raiding flash sales and developer sales for games I don't have yet. 😅

BLUEVOODU

@Strubes very cool.  I had the habit of doing that on steam too lol.  My PS4 just filled up super fast. I put the 1TB drive in...  but it's filling up fast again.

Per everyone's recommendation, I will try an external hard drive at some point. Really... those used to be limiting factors (bus and speed)... but I guess it's not anymore.   I would think one would see a decrease of some sort in loading speed... especially as large as games are.  But maybe not.   

CreepinDeth

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on May 17, 2018, 04:27:32 PM
Per everyone's recommendation, I will try an external hard drive at some point. Really... those used to be limiting factors (bus and speed)... but I guess it's not anymore.

eh, it still kind of is. That's why having an external isn't such a downgrade because the internal drive is limited by bus speeds. I've seen articles where people have installed SSDs and the result was not much different than a 5400RPM drive. For some reason, Sony has capped it at the kernel level (Same with PS3.) And now that I think about it, this could be why, to keep the experience the same so you don't notice much of a difference.

Polygon

I don't play the PS4 all that much. That being said I installed a 2TB HDD in mine. That's probably the smallest I think should be in a modern console.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: Polygon on May 18, 2018, 01:42:07 PM
I don't play the PS4 all that much. That being said I installed a 2TB HDD in mine. That's probably the smallest I think should be in a modern console.
@Polygon You are 100% right.  2TB should be the standard drive... especially for the price.  I'm sure the companies would receive a good discount with the quantity they pull.   However, 2TB 2.5" SATA drives are still somewhat pricey.  Price per GB is only $0.04 for 1 of the drives - 2TB Western Digital Blue 5400RPM.  Not sure how they would perform in a PlayStation 4 though. 

@CreepinDeth I didn't realize they capped it at the Kernel level.  That's interesting - It makes sense to provide a consistent experience.  However, it limits the upside potential for those who want to upgrade... which sucks a bit.

Jack

100% agreed that 2 TB should be the standard size for hard drives on modern consoles. Most games are upwards of at least 70 GBs.

CreepinDeth

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on September 03, 2018, 11:50:27 AM
@Polygon You are 100% right.  2TB should be the standard drive... especially for the price.  I'm sure the companies would receive a good discount with the quantity they pull.   However, 2TB 2.5" SATA drives are still somewhat pricey.  Price per GB is only $0.04 for 1 of the drives - 2TB Western Digital Blue 5400RPM.  Not sure how they would perform in a PlayStation 4 though. 

Sony or Microsoft would get a bulk discount but since they're not free, the cost still adds up. Let's say they can get 2TB drives at $20 a pop and they ship 200,000 units with those. That comes out to $4,000,000 just for those drives.

And then let's say they get 500GB drives for $5 each and ship the same 200,00 units. That only costs $1,000,000. Even with discounted prices, the margins are much different.

That's probably why Sony allows you to upgrade your own drive just so that they can save money.

@CreepinDeth I didn't realize they capped it at the Kernel level.  That's interesting - It makes sense to provide a consistent experience.  However, it limits the upside potential for those who want to upgrade... which sucks a bit.

Yeah, I'll see if I can find the articles on it. Makes sense in the long run. It's probably also there to help keep the drive from wearing down quickly.