Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Non-gaming hobbies

Started by CreepinDeth, May 18, 2018, 01:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CreepinDeth

I saw Kinikko likes to knit and that's pretty cool. I personally really enjoy music, so I tend to collect headphones. I have quite a few in my collection and always take time to listen to them. I just wish it wasn't so expensive, lol. But I really love to nerd out on audio. And if there's one thing that I like to collect more than games, it's music.

Do any of you have hobbies that are just as big, or bigger, than your gaming hobby?

targetrasp

I tend to jump into and out of other hobbies as the mood strikes (or finance allows). I've collected comics, cards, 80's toys, and of course video games at one point or another but have only stuck with the games. I'll grab something if I find it in the wild or if I hear about some milestone (haven't bought a comic in years but just recently got action comics 1000, for instance) but I'm not actively doing any of it.

I was big into cars and skydiving until I had my first child, then that had to go away, nothing is cheap in either of those hobbies. My brother recently showed me a picture of a 94 camaro i'd built waaay back in 2000 that someone was selling on Craig's list and it almost made me cry. Last I heard the car had been wrecked and went to the scrapyard, so i was pretty happy something i made was still running. It was my first big build, and the first time I got to use Nitrous Oxide. Skydiving was awesome. This place i used to go swore they owned that plane from Point Break (it was the same type anyway, I never bothered finding out for sure) . I was about 5 jumps away from my USPA liscense before I unexpectedly had a kid with a waitress i really didn't know...

Now after keeping the kids and ditching the waitress my hobby landscape is much different! I work and play Soccer Mom, and help with boyscouts. Now there's a lot of camp, hike, fish, play in the woods type of stuff going on... pretty much highschool all over again without the beer.

Polygon

I have so many, I'll just name the bigger ones.

I'm very into computers, so much so, that it started out as a hobby in middle school and turned into a profession. Another big one is cars. I'm a huge gear head. I guess I just like working with machines. I enjoy fixing them, modifying them, and ultimately... driving them in ways that generally aren't legal on the street. I'm an amateur photographer. Mostly like to take pictures of cars and landscapes and I've been dabbling in videography as well. I like another kind of shooting, though I wouldn't call it a hobby so much... but I'm big into guns. I love to go shooting and I'm a very big proponent of the 2A and the entirety of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. Since I like working with machines, I actually enjoy cleaning them too.

There are quite a few others, that are less notable.

Jack

I use to play Yu-Gi-Oh! competitively and I was a judge for a while. I still go to the card shop sometimes to see old friends and play some casual games, but I'm not nearly as into the scene as I was a few years back. I still love it though.

CreepinDeth

PC building is definitely a hobby of mine as well. If I could build a computer once a month I would, lol. I have parts lying around my place and in storage. Need to start organizing and getting rid of older stuff soon to make way for more things.

I'm also into cars but not as much as I used to be back when I was younger. I also don't have any space to work on them even if I wanted to. I do want to own a '69 Camaro SS one day. I might have one commissioned.

targetrasp

@CreepinDeth 69' RS/SS is my most favorite car out there.
I would also kill for a 1969 ZL-1

CreepinDeth

Quote from: targetrasp on May 18, 2018, 09:51:20 PM
@CreepinDeth 69' RS/SS is my most favorite car out there.
I would also kill for a 1969 ZL-1

aw yeah, high five! You have great taste.

retro junkie

I guess I sometimes collect figurines. I see something I like, I get it. Sometimes it can be a stature and sometimes it can be the articulation that grabs me. In the case of Buster Crabbe as Flash Gordon it was nostalgia of loving the old corny serials. So I purchased body parts of the original 1/6 scale figurine rather than spending hundreds of dollars at the time. I almost have the Avengers by purchasing bodies and heads. I used Captain Action character suits for Captain America and Thor. I sometimes fade in and out of giving my attention to the hobbie, months, sometimes a few years.
there is no spoon

mastermario

Boy, this is tough. I recently got my private pilot's license so flying has become a little bit of a hobby of mine. I'm pretty high on sports so watching those has always been fun. I play drums so I get to jam out at my church 1-2 times a month. Used to work out but I've been slacking in that area haha. I live in Vegas so I also gamble from time to time, and I also enjoy going to concerts. I golf once every month or so as well. I dunno, I don't like being bored so if I get to a point where I'm doing nothing every night, I'll pick something else up lol. 

Mai Valentine

Gaming is my biggest hobby, but I do also play D&D every Monday night with a group of friends. My current character is a Tiefling Ranger.

Aya-Kun

Other than gaming guess my other biggest hobby is anime and manga I watch and read a lot but I also collect figures from some of my fav series. A few shelves have changed a bit since I took these pic which was only about a month ago XD couldn't find in new ones had to re adjust some.

I also love the draw and do crafts but sadly that doesn't happen has much as I would like it to =(

mastermario

That's a really nice collection. :)

CreepinDeth

Agreed and so well organized too! I wish I can organize my music and headphone collection that nicely.

Aya-Kun

Quote from: CreepinDeth on June 15, 2018, 11:41:21 PM
Agreed and so well organized too! I wish I can organize my music and headphone collection that nicely.
Quote from: mastermario on June 15, 2018, 12:12:23 AM
That's a really nice collection. :)

Thank you =3 After decorated recently I got to get a bit more space for figures by adding some more of the books cases however I seem to have run out of room XD

I'm quite picky with the way the go on the shelf to I like to try and keep series together, is a pain in the ass to clean them all tho =(

Grindspine

Guitar, skateboard, pet ratties..  :P

BLUEVOODU

A little late to this thread - I play guitar as well.. @Grindspine and I jam out here and there when time permits anymore.

@Aya-Kun Holy crap... nice collection!  That's awesome.

@Mai Valentine --> Do you play the paper D&D?

@mastermario --> Are you privately flying now?   lol.. and it's been forever since we went out for Golf. That was a fun course though.  Those Rabbits were huge.

mastermario

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on October 19, 2018, 05:05:15 PM
@mastermario --> Are you privately flying now?   lol.. and it's been forever since we went out for Golf.

Yes, I've been flying around here some although it's been a couple of months due to lots of travel going on.

Come on out and lets play some more golf. :)

Mai Valentine

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on October 19, 2018, 05:05:15 PM
@Mai Valentine --> Do you play the paper D&D?

We use minis and are currently using 5th edition. We are taking a break at the moment though, everyone's schedule makes working out a day to play hard.

Princess Peach

I usually write and read a lot. I tend to write novels more than poems, but I have written a handful of those as well. I also am into drawing, listening to music, and acting. So I am able to find lots of ways to keep myself entertained! I also visit with my friends a lot whenever my schedule allows for it!   :D