Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Neo Geo Mini

Started by CreepinDeth, May 20, 2018, 02:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp lol... I hate to admit it... I just watched that video.   Pretty frickin cool how some things just come together.     That's really cool... and what's the over / under he was blasted during the entire interview? lol.

Has anyone else played their Neo Geo mini lately?

retro junkie

BUMP!!!  ???

Reviving this topic just briefly. I was disappointed that my Turbo mini is delayed until December 31st. So I spotted an SNK Neo Geo mini International Edition for $59. Got it this week. Spent a little time with it yesterday.

My personal first impression? This is a "we are celebrating forty years" type of trophy thingy. Come "celebrate with us" sort-of memory, nostalgic piece. I understand. Not exactly a serious gaming console.

You can play it "as is" out of the box, but it is awkward and difficult. I already have plans to order a game pad controller. I think that will make it more "user friendly" and accessible. The speakers are "tiny" when it comes to audio quality. But what can you expect? This is not meant to be an actual arcade cabinet, only a small representation of the Neo Geo influence in the Arcade, a look back. I understand, no other mini has built in speakers. I will let this go. A good set of over the ear headphones does wonders. I will also order an HDMI cable so as to hook this up to my TV. I get it, that the concept, in design, has emphasis toward the fact "this is Neo Geo at the arcade." But it would have been nice if they had included, in the box, a simple HDMI cable, especially since it needs the HDMI mini cable end. What's with that? If I was rating this, that would have been a big mark against it. It is not that the built in screen is not adequate. I have no problem, I love my 3DS. Love portable gaming.

The one thing that I wanted out of this is Neo Geo games, specifically, Blazing Star. Finally obtaining something from NEO GEO that was "affordable" and it be from them. I guess I was thinking a "Neo Geo console!" I got one! (Hallelujah chorus in the background) But if you want it as a gaming console, you can make it work. And that is sad in a way. If they wanted to "me too" jump on the bandwagon, it would have been better if this had been an AES mini. That would have been reasonable and user friendly for the casual gamers. It would also have been less disappointing, is that the word I am looking for? It is not that I AM disappointed, maybe, not what I was expecting? Confused? Confused, or frustrated, in my expectations of the desire to play this collection of games and finding the mini's design being somewhat of a hinderance.

I don't mean for this to be negative at all. I love the Neo Geo mini. Some games I have never found in a collection for any console. Seeing the potential and accepting the inevitable.
there is no spoon

retro junkie

Game Pad has arrived!! Makes all the difference in the world!  ;)
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie How does the controller perform... say based against the old Neo Geo CD controller pad?

Good review... I decided not to buy into this.  I bought the Neo Geo X and many other variants... but decided to no buy this.    Do you think it's worth the purchase?

I'm surprised @targetrasp and @CreepinDeth haven't jumped in yet  ;D

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU there is a learning curve. In the Neo fighting games it is very important to know up down left right. The directional pad is, to me, the achilles heel. I don't fully understand why but the micro switches on the original gave you a sense of direction. The NGCD pad has a tighter feel, where as the mini pad is so very loose and floaty. But once your thumb learns the directions, (eye to hand coordination) it is a joy to play. I just could not play any of the fighting games on the console itself. The mini stick is such an awkward struggle. Honestly a stick is meant to be played with the ball in the palm of your hand, not between two fingers. The controller should have been a pack in. That would have made the system very user friendly. Button configuration on the mini pad is also something to get used to if you are used to the NGCD pad. But if you are used to SNK collections on various consoles over the years, it shouldn't be a problem.

The NGCD pad is on the bottom. At least the colors are right. Right at this moment mini is $49 on Amazon. Good buy for the games in this collection.

Edit:The games seem to be AES console roms, not the arcade counterpart. The reason I come to that conclusion is that you can go into a menu to choose different configurations like easy, normal, hard, etc.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

That's a USB connector, right?   man... this makes me want to break out my old Neo Geo CD and AES.  I haven't played them in 3 years - CD.... and 1 year for AES.

Re-reviewing the screen... how well does it look on it?  The Neo Geo X was a little odd at times... but still looked decent.  I wonder how it compares.  I've also bought a couple Neo Geo games on the switch.  They look good on it... and did pretty good ports to the screen format.

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU yes you are right it is USB connector. Below is my DS comparing both screens. This is the regular DS NOT THE LARGE SCREEN. Seems to be the same size. The photo does not do the screen justice. It has a bright sharp screen with rich vibrant colors. And it does not bother me other than the fact that it is shaped like an arcade cabinet. I am use to portables, my gaming platform of choice.

I am working on a full review for my blog. Not going to be complete until I get an HDMI connector. Should have been in the package in my opinion.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

LOL... Zoo Keeper for the win!  Nice Comparison.  That screen does look decent... but it is small.  The Neo Geo X... I will try to post about that screen.   I need to find it...   yeah... I lost it somewhere lol.

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU my wife and I are into Zoo Keeper. She is a non-gamer, so yeah, if she gets interested in a game, I am onboard. It is an addicting game, totally unpredictable every time you play.  ;)
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie I used to play this game ALLLLLLLL the time.   It was a quick, fast, and somewhat fun filler game.    I've had a lot of fun with it  ;D

Maybe we need a Zoo Keeper topic. 

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU that DS is a Japanese DS. Only play Zoo Keeper on it. I don't know why. Just do. I need to put FF in there occasionally being that it is a FF special Edition.  8)

there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Lol now you're just showing off @retro junkie that's a cool DS... nice! 

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more