Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Neo Geo Mini

Started by CreepinDeth, May 20, 2018, 02:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CreepinDeth

Now this is something I can get behind. SNK is making a mini version of the Neo Geo MVS arcade cabinet called the Neo Geo Mini and comes with 40 preloaded games.

No date or price announced yet but this thing is looking mighty sweet.  ;D

retro junkie

I have my eye on this also. I hope they market this in a way that I can walk in and grab one up. This thing will be awesome.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

That's cool, although is the arcade cabinet part really necessary? Its not a dealbreaker by any means, just seems like a way to push msrp up.

Someone should be sure to mention when they set a release date or when preorders open up.

retro junkie

Personally I would rather they design their AVS controller as the system with the games built in and from there TV hook up. That was what I was originally hoping for. I am not sure, but I am thinking that the cabinet design might not be practical for long plays unless you are setting at the dining table.
there is no spoon

CreepinDeth

Quote from: targetrasp on May 20, 2018, 10:26:36 AM
That's cool, although is the arcade cabinet part really necessary? Its not a dealbreaker by any means, just seems like a way to push msrp up.

Someone should be sure to mention when they set a release date or when preorders open up.

I think the arcade cabinet parts makes it a much cooler novelty than any of the Nintendo releases. I don't expect them to use high end Sanwa parts, so I don't expect the price to be astronomical. Plus, you don't need a TV, which is always nice.

I'll keep an eye on the release date and price.

As for long plays, these devices are not meant to be for that, they're novelties. Publishers just release higher end versions on consoles which are meant for longer play sessions.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: retro junkie on May 20, 2018, 11:28:01 AM
Personally I would rather they design their AVS controller as the system with the games built in and from there TV hook up. That was what I was originally hoping for. I am not sure, but I am thinking that the cabinet design might not be practical for long plays unless you are setting at the dining table.
@retro junkie I like the concept idea you mentioned.  Make a solid awesome controller and do it all from there.

How would multiplayer work in either case?

That does look pretty cool. Good find @CreepinDeth !

CreepinDeth

I believe the Mini has extra ports for more controllers if you want to do multiplayer.

retro junkie

The extra controllers look like the Neo Geo CD controllers. But I think it is more of a USB connection.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth alright... that's pretty cool then!  hm... that makes it a lot better in my opinion.  These games are all about the experience gaming with friends - in my opinion.

@retro junkie - I've seen some potential images so far... but not the real deal for the Neo Geo Mini.

Here's the official SNK Corp website (I keep forgetting they are no longer SNK Playmore):
The NEOGEO mini - a video game console celebrating the 40th Anniversary of SNK's brand is announced! 40 legendary NEOGEO titles will be included! - snk-corp.co.jp

CreepinDeth

I'm kind of torn. I'm going to want to open this to play but I also want to keep it sealed because I'm a collector. Hopefully they're not so limited so I can pick up two.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: CreepinDeth on May 22, 2018, 10:20:10 PM
I'm kind of torn. I'm going to want to open this to play but I also want to keep it sealed because I'm a collector. Hopefully they're not so limited so I can pick up two.
I hear what you mean.  I have the Neo Geo X still... might unload it at some point... but I was torn on that same conundrum lol.

The Neo Geo X has raised in value... I'll create a topic on this at some point.

targetrasp

@BLUEVOODU did you get all the extra games and stuff for it?

I've bought two of the snes minis, praying for another nes mini (supposed to come out in june) and bought those archival cases for the one i didn't open. Unless this turns into an AT Games dollar store kind of thing I'll do similar for it.

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp Sorry... I think I missed this response.  I had the general game set that came with it, dock, 2 controllers ( I think it was 2)... and then Last Blade was included at the time.  There wasn't enough play on the system to justify buying the other games.  In face, it slipped out of active play pretty quickly.

I re-visit the Neo Geo X here and there now... It would be cool to check out this Neo Geo Mini as well.  Been tempted to look at it more since @CreepinDeth posted this lol.

targetrasp

There's so much middle-aged man-cave bait out or almost out right now it's pitiful...

BLUEVOODU

LOL.. why does it have to be middle-aged man-cave bait?  Why can't it just be.... this Neo Geo Mini looks awesome.  Everyone wants one.

retro junkie

The prices I am seeing on this thing are not very encouraging.

there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: retro junkie on August 30, 2018, 07:17:09 PM
The prices I am seeing on this thing are not very encouraging.
@retro junkie What are you seeing?

BLUEVOODU

holy crap...  IF I Am correct... I saw $250 at Amazon.com???????

What the what?!

retro junkie

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on August 30, 2018, 11:01:25 PM
holy crap...  IF I Am correct... I saw $250 at Amazon.com???????

What the what?!

Yep! Exactly!
there is no spoon

CreepinDeth

Looks like 3rd party sellers overpricing. I didn't get a chance to get one myself. To be honest, I had forgotten about it with work and life stuff going on. Maybe one day they'll be at a reasonable price, lol.  :asdds:

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth LOL... don't old your breath on that one.  Sucks that it was such a limited run that it caused prices to be that high.  Sounds like they MAYBE should've made more.

retro junkie

As always, Neo Geo stuff out of reach.  :(
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth @retro junkie @targetrasp my buddy sent this to me .seems it's back to being cheaper again ?  Like $100ish

Neo Geo Mini - amazon.com

retro junkie

Mannnnnnnnnnn, I just gave up and purchased a bunch of SNES games. Waiting at my post box everyday for them. I'm playing Star Ocean right now with English patch on a reproduction cart.  >:(
there is no spoon

targetrasp

No NAM 75 or Baseball Stars...

does clicking your hyperlink count or do I have to click a banner ad? This may happen tonight DESPITE missing two of my most favorite NEO games

CreepinDeth

@BLUEVOODU - I pre-ordered this morning! I was going to post this as soon as I was able to. You beat me to it. Can't wait.  :)

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp I would buy from the ads at the top (click then navigate to the item).  I can make it easier in future links and setup direct links for certain items.

Did the remove Nam 1975 and Baseball Stars from a prior version? Or did they just not decide to include it?

@CreepinDeth lucky lol... I'm in the same boat as @retro junkie  and have spent all my gaming monies.  Star Ocean was a pretty cool game if I remember it correctly.. Cannot go wrong there.

I hope this is as cool as it looks.

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp This might work:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1KN661/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B07D1KN661&linkCode=as2&tag=bluevmg-20&linkId=cc0602e52f125606f32582d0a3c9166c

I Appreciate the support - Thank you.  This helps with Hosting and funding future projects where I need to pay for developer assistance. 

I want one of these.  I'm wondering how the included controller performs.  IE if the mechanisms are like the old Neo Geo arcade sticks.

retro junkie

Not only have I spent my gaming money, I want one of these really bad.

https://www.analogue.co/pages/store/

:'(
there is no spoon

targetrasp

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more