Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Neo Geo Mini

Started by CreepinDeth, May 20, 2018, 02:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

OOOooo   we need a topic on those.  I like them ... I like them  A LOT  ;D

targetrasp

@BLUEVOODU

Admittedly Nam 75 and Baseball Stars has never seem to be a big part of the SNK fanbases' favorites.

They're more of a nostalgic favorite of mine. in the 90's dad was part of a bowling leage and every week he went he'd give me $5 - $10 in quarters and i'd hang out in the bowling alley's arcade. I'd easily spend 4 or 5 beating Nam and the rest would be split between Simpsons, Baseball Stars, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and a bowling game with a track ball attached. I've got the baseball stars for the nes and it's great, but it's not nearly the same as on a neo geo product.

BLUEVOODU

YEah.. it's definitely not the same for the Neo Geo Pocket Color.  It's still fun, but not the same. I bought Baseball stars on Steam - That's pretty cool with the achievements.  My favorite version of Baseball Stars might be the Neo Geo CD version.  We need more Neo Geo conversation  ;D

Those are good memories!  I have some pretty similar.

CreepinDeth

Quote from: retro junkie on September 13, 2018, 07:12:25 PM
Not only have I spent my gaming money, I want one of these really bad.

https://www.analogue.co/pages/store/

:'(

I plan on getting one of those as well.

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on September 13, 2018, 11:06:38 PM
OOOooo   we need a topic on those.  I like them ... I like them  A LOT  ;D

Way ahead of you!

https://www.chickendinnergaming.com/forum/index.php?topic=127.msg880#msg880

BLUEVOODU

yes you did, @CreepinDeth  lol... yes you did.   I completely forgot about that.  Zombies Ate my Neighbor lol - ah, such a fun game.

I'm going to bump that topic.  It's so pretty.  I want one   ;D

targetrasp

After ordering a mini I found this video and was a little depressed. I'm sure it'll still be fun but parts of this thing will definately be a let down.

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp  I checked this out.  The video doesn't surprise me.   Also, It was hard to see the SNES Classic comparison.   I'm not sure it really looked better as he stated.  BUT... he obviously saw a difference.  Maybe it's more blurry?  But...not sure.

As far as the controllers... yeah... I get that.  The Neo Geo CD controllers were a lot more expensive.   On top of that, those microswitches would wear out on the controllers.  Customers would trade them in ... or sell them to me and other people would buy them for parts.   It was VERY common to have faulty microswitches.  When customers traded in ANY Neo Geo CD gamepad, they were tested 1st.  With that said... I'm not sure how I feel about SNK creating controllers without microswitches.  $25 is not a bad price... and I'm sure they would be $20 more at least with Microswitches.

QuoteClicky Thumbsticks is very hard to make.
True  ;D    AND more expensive.

targetrasp

I'm painfully aware of the extra expense associated with those little microswitches. I bought a mechanical keyboard for home a few years ago then had to have one at work. I couldn't get work to pay the extra 100 for one so I bought a second one.

I would absolutely pay 20 - 25 more for the microswitches, I just may not have bought 2 controllers! I don't know why I assumed i'd get clicky controllers but the realization that wasn't coming was a let down.

retro junkie

That does change things a little, expectations mainly. My Neo Pocket Color has click switches. My Neo Geo CD controllers have click switches. So this mini will feel like Neo Geo games on another console? Why did they go cheap on us?

And the odd button layout. It is almost like this was licensed out to a third party.  :-\

I really like the fact that they included all those KOF and the amount of Metal Slugs, plus Blazing Star. It would be nice having something like this sitting up somewhere, but the mini itself is so impractical to play on. Unless you have very tiny hands. The controllers are a must have if I intend on getting one of these.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

I'm starting to visualize a really cool display of miniaturized retro consoles (nes, snes, neo, psx, commodore 64,) Now if they'd do a GOOD version of the sega products on mini scale

targetrasp

@retro junkie

I didn't realize the neo pocket even had microswitches.. were they just in the buttons?

retro junkie

The directional pad has clicky switches. Or it sure feels that way.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

Wikipedia agrees.

I've only ever seen one and never played it, I would have loved to have tried one out.

BLUEVOODU

Yeah... we need to create more Neo Geo posts... There's a lot to cover again lol  ;D

The clicky switches were nice.  But as I mentioned... they wore out quite a bit on the Neo Geo game pads.  I'm a bit torn if they should be used anymore... EVEN THOUGH I love the clicky switches.

These are out and shipping now, correct? Anyone have any experiences of the Neo Geo Mini to Share?

targetrasp

I've not opened mine, contemplating getting an archival case and sealing it up.

From what I can tell the retro pi is where it's at. I'd bet I could buy a neo controller and use it there, have better resolution, and spend less than I did on international w/ 2 controllers.

BLUEVOODU

Those are really cool!   ugh @retro junkie ... quit making me want new stuff lol.

@CreepinDeth How about you?  What's your experience so far?

CreepinDeth

My experience so far is that it looks nice on my shelf, lol.  ;D

I haven't opened it and I don't plan on it. Especially since it's not exactly blowing people away with its greatness, or lack thereof.

BLUEVOODU

LOL... so leaving it sealed and reselling it later?

targetrasp

nope, not ever reselling anything, ever... too many regrets!

my kids can pawn the crap off when I die and pay their houses off.

CreepinDeth

Same, I'm not reselling either. Might open it sometime in the future but not anytime soon.

targetrasp

I'm thinking that I'll find a used one somewhere... the nes and snes classics are easy to get now, maybe the mini will flounder after the holidays or everyone who gets one for christmas opens it and realizes its not awesome and pawn it off

CreepinDeth

Ben Heck is doing a teardown of the Neo Geo Mini. Good stuff. Here is part 1, part 2 should coming out soon. I'll post it once it goes live.

targetrasp

"oh gee, I wonder where the screws are"

I like this guy

retro junkie

Oh boy! Another handheld!  8) I like his portables.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

I can solder pretty well but this guy puts the kids in a Foxconn sweatshop to shame. what he does in about 30 seconds would have taken me at least 5 minutes.

CreepinDeth

Part 2 is out and for those of you who like micro switches, you'll enjoy this video.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: targetrasp on November 17, 2018, 10:01:16 AM
I can solder pretty well but this guy puts the kids in a Foxconn sweatshop to shame. what he does in about 30 seconds would have taken me at least 5 minutes.
LOL  :))  that's pretty funny.   This guy is pretty amazing...  So...  Does that mean there's a bromance going on here?

@CreepinDeth Part 2 is great as well... nice post ... keep it up  ;D

targetrasp

bromance... maybe a mild adoration for some serious skill...

BLUEVOODU

lol bromance it is @targetrasp

There is some serious skill there... but you've fixed a lot of this kind of stuff up in the past as well.  You could probably do this... you and @retro junkie seem to be pretty handy around electronics.  I don't have the time right now... certification studies again... working on 2 before EOY and 8-9 (If possible) by next May.  However, given the time... I'd like to do more of this stuff and wood working... and guitar playing.

targetrasp

you should combine woodworking and guitar playing and recreate