Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Atari VCS Pre-sell crashes Indiegogo

Started by CreepinDeth, June 02, 2018, 05:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CreepinDeth

[Atari's Retro Console Launches Pre-Orders, Quickly Crashes Indiegogo]

QuoteWe finally have more details on what this thing can do and apparently more people are hyped up about it than we expected. On Wednesday afternoon, Indiegogo was struggling to keep up with the influx of traffic...

...The VCS runs on the Ubuntu OS (Linux), includes a Radeon R7 processor, a 32 GB hard drive, 4 GB of DDR4 RAM, and expandable storage. It connects to the internet and will support streaming video and online multiplayer games. Voice control is handled by four front-facing mics and two new controllers (one retro, one modern) connect via Bluetooth.

This piece of kit is starting to sound really nice. I can see why there is such a high demand for it. This might be more flexible to mod than an NES or SNES Classic.

targetrasp

I really can't decide if I'm going to get one.

The hardware isn't fantastic
The design is awesome
Almost no knowledge of available games (this thing is super expensive just to play rehashes of old atari games)
Looks primed for emulation

There's a downside to every upside i can think of sticking me right in the middle of buy or don't buy

@CreepinDeth are you getting one?

CreepinDeth

I'm definitely interested in one. I just don't know how easily they can be acquired. I mainly want it for collection purposes.

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth and @targetrasp   - Did you end up getting one of these?  2 months later... what are your opinions?

Did anyone else get one?  If you did... post up your experiences.

targetrasp

It was too sketchy for me to jump into.

1. Indigogo
2. allegation that the gameplay was from other systems
3. nothing copywrighted
4. no technical specs

theres too many indigogo horror stories - I'd rather not gamble.

CreepinDeth

Yeah, I wasn't going to get one from the initial indiegogo run. I was going to wait and see if they would go forward with a mass produced version.

targetrasp

I keep thing, maybe I'm wrong, maybe this will work out. Then I go back to the Indiegogo page...

There's a nice line about how they're no longer promoting the machine, they're instead focusing on manufacturing it. In the mean time this third party company will act as a customer serivce arm but in reality just sends surveys. Smoke and mirrors, while we quietly piss away 3 mil. and have to be responsible for zilch.

anyone wanna go in with me on a indi gogo campaign? I'll spend a couple grand on a prototype, take footage of myself playing a video game with the prototype sitting in the background, and split the money evenly, i'm not greedy.

I hope i'm just being a jerk and this thing becomes bigger than pop music. I'll pay the extra money for not being a backer if this thing ever gets off the ground.

BLUEVOODU

lol... @targetrasp why do I feel like this is sarcasm?  What is this Indi Gogo Campaign you mention?

IF it looks like a duck, quakes like a duck, It is a ....       I'm generally ok missing something I don't think is a good opportunity.  Even if it becomes a good one... I don't look back.  In the sense of video games, I would buy it if it turned out to be good, I suppose.  But time is limited.