Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

It's time again to look for some sailors! Shenmue I & II re-released!

Started by CreepinDeth, August 20, 2018, 08:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CreepinDeth

One of the greatest series of all time is back and remastered. Shenmue I & II can now be played on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. Releases Aug. 21st.

I have so many fond memories of these two games and I backed my one and only kickstarter for Shenmue III. For those of you who know, I don't back kickstarters at all. This game was ahead of its time and truly made me feel a part of the world. Not many other games have made me feel that way. Can't wait until this unlocks tomorrow.

[Shenmue and Shenmue 2 re-releases coming this August]

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth man... it's been so long.    I created a Shenmue 1 & 2 topic... I think the last time I tried this was over 10 years ago on a Dreamcast.   I had some special edition Shenmue 2 Dreamcast Import (at least I think it was special edition).  I had to do a secondary disc boot 1st before I could use the game.

I didn't understand some parts of the game due to language barriers... but the game was fun.

IT would be interesting to go back and play the parts I didn't understand again lol.  I never did make it back to the game and I long sold the stock.

CreepinDeth

@BLUEVOODU - it's been a while for me too. I wish I had a CRT because then I can just bust out the Dreamcast and Xbox and play them there. These are the next best things. Unfortunately they do have some bugs apparently, but I'm going to still give them a shot.

BLUEVOODU

Yeah there definitely were bugs on the Dreamcast lol. 

I bet @MegaDrive20XX is getting this title.  What say you mega? Lol. Not sure he'll see this... time to text him.

Has this game been hyped a lot around the net?  I've seen a few stories but not a ton. 

CreepinDeth

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on August 23, 2018, 09:56:05 PM
Has this game been hyped a lot around the net?  I've seen a few stories but not a ton. 

Kind of. More just from the diehards than anyone else. But sounds like there are some new people jumping on this since they've heard so much about it. Dreamcast dying off and being unpopular kept a lot of folks from playing it in the first place.

Snatcher_L

I think I've bought like 5 copies of the re-release for myself and some friends. I really love this series and really want it to do well.

It's definitely buggy but hopefully the patches fix it up. It's so surreal finally playing Shenmue on a current gen console. Not that I don't still own my original copies  ;D

BLUEVOODU

@Snatcher_L LOL.. you bought 5 copies?! 

After a little time now, how well has this re-release been received?   Still going well?

CreepinDeth

The re-release shipped with some pretty glaring issues (cutscene camera breaking being one of the most common.) The devs have been patching it since release though and it looks like the next patch is going to get this game to where it should be.

However, for me, I only ran into one bug and it was a background sound lasting until I triggered another sound. So not everyone runs into these game breaking issues but they can happen. It hurt this release for sure.

targetrasp

@CreepinDeth

so when I finally get around to playing the game it'll be like nothing was ever wrong!?

CreepinDeth

Quote from: targetrasp on October 09, 2018, 09:54:44 PM
@CreepinDeth

so when I finally get around to playing the game it'll be like nothing was ever wrong!?

For most, it's already like that. So I would say, yes.

BLUEVOODU

LOL... you know... I remember these discussions years ago how they were going to push out games incomplete and then patch them.  I know old school games just had bugs in them... but it does seem like games are getting pushed out with more bugs these days.  Or maybe there are more people playing and testing them?  Or something.

targetrasp

The push and patch method seemed to be most scrutinized at its peak around the time skyrim hit. The game was buggy and had tons of issues but it was a huge success. Now it seems the gaming community has accepted this is standard. As broke as Friday the 13th was my son still played the crap out of it. Often he'd get in a group of people that just roamed around looking for glitches. I refused to play the game because it was so bad. It seems like its just something else gamers can put on youtube.

CreepinDeth

This is one of the reasons I don't pay full price for games anymore. They're incomplete and I have to use up bandwidth even for boxed copies of games. That said, as long as the devs fix the game to an acceptable level, then that's at least something. Devs who abandon their games after a patch or two with bugs still prevalent leave a bad impression.

targetrasp

@CreepinDeth

That's the worst part. Devs consider the opportunity cost and could completely abandon a game if the resources to fix said game could be more profitable elsewhere. I find myself getting into games, tv series, anime, etc. that are successful and really good but not as widely accepted so they get completely abandoned. I understand the need to maximize revenues but there's some unquantifiable costs to this business model that I wish would be considered.