Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Starlink Battle for Atlas

Started by targetrasp, August 27, 2018, 02:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

targetrasp

Does anyone have any opinion on this game? It seems odd that Ubisoft is bringing another toys to life game out after so many others have made their way past their prime with this last iteration moving to the clearance bin with a quickness.

The Switch version has a Star Fox cross over exclusive that has me leaning in Nintendo's favor.

The second url is a 17 minute gameplay video from IGN. None of the weapons were switched out so that mechanic wasn't featured and the gameplay looked really vanilla. I can't decide if it looks like its worth $75. I want to be blown away, but I'm not.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/11/17451102/starlink-battle-for-atlas-star-fox-switch-exclusive-e3-2018

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp I think this game looks like it might be alright.  Hard to not get a little excited seeing Starfox in the line up.    I agree... it looks pretty vanilla... but something about this game has me intrigued.   I'm not intrigued about the $75 price point though lol.

The "toys  to life" aspect has its place in the market.  It's hard to see where at this time... as you mentioned, they end up making it to the discount shelf.  But come on... Lego Dimensions with the Lego Goonies "add-on" characters??  lol... yes please.  I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY (is that enough for you??) want Lego Goonies.    I would pay $60 1st day for Lego Goonies.  I know I'm being super stupid with that price point... but I Would do it ... NAOW!!!!

The take away from this post should be:  I really fricking  want Lego Goonies.  HEEEYYYYY YOOOOUUUU GUUUYYYYYSSSS!!!!

targetrasp

i'm lost.. Lego Goonies? you want lego goonies?

But really... $60? it's 20ish at wallyworld and a little less on ebay. or have you not the portal?

i think lego adventure time would have been pretty awesome despite only one of the adventure time games being any fun.

My portal and all that crap is in the display cabinent and hasn't been used since that christmas it came out, which is probably where starlink will end up (and that's how you steer the conversation back on topic)

BLUEVOODU

Yes... you know, like Lego Harry Potter.  I want the Lego Goonies Game - that covers the full movie.  Like yesterday.   Goonies Music.  HEYYYY YOU GUYSSS... all the above.    :))

I wasn't talking about the Dimensions game or Goonies Add-on lol.  I would like to get that though, but no... I don't have the portal yet and I missed it when it was on sale.  If you see any more on sale, let me know... I'm still looking.

lol... so... you've already shelved Starlink before you bought it.  And Then you're going to buy it anyway... so you can Shelve it.  That sounds about right.

targetrasp

My forum time has been limited to early mornings or late nights - at neither point am I fully awake...

That's an ingenious idea - lego games + nostalgic blockbusters. The portal allowed the add on sets (like the goonies and back to the future) but a game like batman, harry potter, lotw, etc. would likely stand on its own well.

targetrasp

steering back on topic...

I did get this game, originally as a Christmas present, but the kid showed 0 interest in it when he saw it in the store so I opened it for myself.

I've got roughly 15 minutes in it but it's pretty fun. The battles are fun, the exploring is ok, And there's a semi decent story floating around somewhere. My only fear is that the fetch quests will become irritating. In my 15 minutes of play time they've been fine, but i'm one that tends to sour on mundane quests quickly. The addition of coop is welcomed but i've yet to test it out.

If you're going just for game this is not worth $75. The toys look really cool but the ships run 25, weapons 10 and the pilots are 8 bucks. Everything displays well but dang you'd have 300 invested to get the entire load out

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp   Interesting... do you have a pic of your display?    For whatever reason, I thought this game hasn't come out yet.  I guess I've been inundated with release after release... 

It's interesting to see how many games have "displays" and have gone beyond just the game itself.  I'm hoping to pick this up at some point on sale. But won't spend more than $35 (I think... who knows).  The concept looks great and the videos look like the gameplay is fun.  I like hearing you like it so far... hopefully the fetch quests don't become awful.  This happened in several games I've played where I got tired of fetch type requests.  However, I really dug the requests in Zelda: Wind Waker.  others Didn't, but I really enjoyed sailing back and forth.

TLDR... cool stuff... I'd like to give it a try.  Especially if there's coop and what not.

targetrasp

I played for a bit more. The planetary exploration and questing will most likely get repetitive. I get that feeling like I got when I was playing the first Mass Effect, at least the part where you had to drive around the planets. There's no comparison in gameplay, just the level of tolerance feels about the same.

There's some difficulty spikes that most likely are there to sell toys. I'd hit spots that I ended up having to spam the lock on type of projectiles as I frantically flew around in circles dodging bullets. I got the feeling there were more elegant combinations of weapons that I just didn't have that would simplify certain dogfights greatly.

All in all i'm disappointed I paid so much for this game. I just couldn't miss out on Starfox. I doubt I'll buy the remainder of the toys until they hit a clearance rack unless there's a unreasonable jump in demand.

The toys are fairly detailed and at least the ship I have has some moving parts.

BLUEVOODU

Hm... this is $35 right now @targetrasp ... I'm seriously considering this right now.  Think it's worth $35?

targetrasp

Probably not. the collection would look good displayed in a game room but I've not got a lot of fun from it nor have I revisited it.

BLUEVOODU

You know... this dropped to $25 and is looking a bit more tempting.... on Amazon right now, you can get the Starter Edition for $25.39.

Debating...

targetrasp

IF you love starfox this game will likely do it for you. Without the add-ons and expensive gimmicks it's a good star fox game.

BLUEVOODU

I love Star Fox Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64... I still haven't played the Wii U or other versions... including Gamecube.