Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

N64: Killer Instinct Gold Review

Started by retro junkie, September 07, 2018, 09:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

This review is taken from a series of reviews I did a couple of years ago concerning the fighters available for the N64.

I spent some time in the arcades back in the 80s and 90s. It is a fact that I started visiting the arcades when pinball was the norm. I watched as the arcade scene changed and evolved into the golden years of the 90s. I watched as that flame burning bright dwindled down quickly into a smouldering wick. The one thing I always wanted to do was to bring that arcade experience home. I am telling you now, this is it.

For some reason I never took note of Killer Instinct in the arcades. I do remember seeing the game there, but I think, at the time, my interests were elsewhere. I do remember purchasing the SNES game and having a great time with that one, still have it, still play it occasionally. But this N64 version, this is arcade gaming that puts a smile on your face.

There are so many options in this game. You have at your finger tips, all kinds of adjustments. And it is a delight in being able to mold this game to your own liking and enjoyment. Game speed, easy, hard, extra hard, blood on or off, training, team, arcade, practice, tournament, etc. In the first session, I sat tweaking the game until I felt comfortable in the way I wanted to get beat up. I tried a few fighters, settled on one, and felt I was up against a challenge. It took a few games, but the more I played, the more I started learning to do moves and combos. The more I was in control of my fighter, the further I advanced in the game. I then started to feel the rush. "Easy pick up and play," but takes time to master, that is the beauty of arcade games. The game has that certain charm that hooks you into coming back for more, addictive, yes. That is the fun of the arcades.

Love the interactive backgrounds where, at times, you can smash your opponent through something. They look beautiful, awesome, and animated. The whole game's CGI has that pseudo 3D feel even though it is obviously a 2D fighter. Everything about this game is orchestrated together to give you a delightful experience.

This game is great awesome fun for anyone who loves a good arcade fighter. It is easy to get into and has depth in the mastering of the game. Both novice and skilled will find something to like about this game. I mean, what's not to like about this game? I know it had its critics when it was released. Okay, they had their chance at fun and blew it. You my friend can start and end this differently. And.......... bring a friend. I highly recommend this game. It has the potential to take up all of your time. You have been warned. I give this a very big thumbs up and rate it as "Awesome Game."

there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

This is one fighter I put a lot of time into... and money.  I played this in the arcade quite a bit... and couldn't wait to pick up Killer Instinct Gold on the Nintendo 64.  If I am correct, this game retailed for $75.

The character selection was pretty good.  I enjoyed playing as Fulgore (Zealot from StarCraft LOL... I kid) and Spinal.

The backgrounds were good for the time and there were interactions with the background - knocking characters off stage...etc.I agree with you @retro junkie ... I highly recommend Killer Instinct Gold for the Nintendo 64 as well.  Awesome game.

Something interesting I found out:  IF I remember correctly... this game will NOT start up if you have a Rumble pack inserted into the Nintendo 64 controller.  I accidentally found this out .. I thought my game was broke lol... it was just the rumble pack.

retro junkie

I have a third party controller that doesn't seem to work with this game.
there is no spoon

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more