Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Super Mario Party - Nintendo Switch

Started by Bomber Man, August 31, 2018, 11:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomber Man

Looks like a new Mario party has entered into the switch. It hasn't come out yet, but I know it comes out in October. Anyway Super Mario Party looks like it is reverting back to It's classic form. FREE ROAM. My personal fav. It looks like that Bowser is playable now. It looks like there is new maps too. I hope this game is good, and hopefully it is fun too.

Question: What would you like to see in Super Mario Party :question:
The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma...

Princess Peach

I'm excited to see all the new characters and layouts! If it's good enough, it may have the potential to replace my current favorite - Mario Party 5. I talked about 5 and other versions in my latest post, so I'm excited to see how this new release turns out!

targetrasp

As long as it completely turns away from Mario party 10 i'll be happy. That was the worst.

BLUEVOODU

I'm pretty excited for the new Super Mario Part on the Nintendo Switch.  I haven't bought it yet but plan to do so at some point.  We have MANY of the Mario Party games.  We didn't play Mario Party 10 yet - in fact, it's still sealed with its Amiibo.  ;D   We were playing a lot of 6 earlier this year... and we've played a TON of Mario Party 5 over the years.

Either way... I've seen enough and heard enough about Mario Party 10 that I'm not sure I'm excited about opening it.  We will have to at some point.  With that said, Super Mario Party looks pretty good and I'd like to give it a chance.

targetrasp

10 sucks. keep it as a collectors item and find it used somewhere when its cheap, and trust me it'll get cheap because it sucks.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: targetrasp on October 20, 2018, 04:28:11 PM
10 sucks. keep it as a collectors item and find it used somewhere when its cheap, and trust me it'll get cheap because it sucks.
LOL... maybe I should do that.  It has the Bowser Amiibo with it and is in the original box.  Hm...  I will definitely think about that.  I have about 5 years before the cost shoots up if it does though.

targetrasp

Mario Party 10 is the first game I bought a lot of amiibos for. They do almost nothing.

Maybe sucks was a harsh word. My biggest problem with the game was the gameboard. The mini games were fine, and some cases better than a lot of the predecessors, but the game boards were crap. They felt small, the events weren't great, and it felt like that "Mario kart auto assist" made skill pretty irrelevant. I could bully the kids in the minigames but still lose. it wasn't for me at all.

targetrasp

The fam finally got around to playing Super Mario Party today and I must say it did not dissapoint.

I've only played one board so it's hard to say if theres anything as good as Koopa's Tycoon Town (favorite board in the series, from mp8) but the ally space / mechanic kicks butt. There's a dice specific to each character that can be changed from character's dice to normal dice during each roll, and then each ally give you the option of using their dice on top of rolling a dice themselves that adds to your dice roll. I liked it, by the end of ten rounds I had three allys following me around. They even show up in some of the mini games although it seemed just for vanity as i felt no real advantage to having them there.

My gripe with the game is that it only accepts the joycon. I have the pro controller and two joycons that came with the switch and it'd much prefer being able to use the controller. the joy con works much like the wiimote did but it's much smaller, it doesn't feel confortable to me. My child love it, and worked me in the majority of the mini games. I did end up beating him 5 stars to 3 stars in the end. The computer on normal had 2 stars and 1 star and that was only after the bonuses. it was 4,3,1,0 before the 2 freebies in the end.

Online looks to be dissapointing. You can play with friends but the board game portion isn't available. While I'll admit its much cooler to play with 4 people in the same room, it'd be nice to have the option open for online play. We'll have to settle for playing 5 rando mini games online...

Definately not sorry I bought it but I can't see it being the favorite of the series. It'll at least hit somewhere in the middle. If theres some cooler boards it may even rank higher in my book.

Bomber Man

yea I agree 10 isn't the best. Same with 9, but the maps were great, and some of the minigames worked for me. Thank goodness switch brought back the original style.

targetrasp

I just picked up some Mario and Luigi themed Joy Con grips that helps out a ton.

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp What are those grips?  Pics?

Also... Super Mario Party looks to be receiving great reviews.  I'm highly interested in picking this up now...  and hoping for a good deal over the holidays.

I'm still debating if Mario Party 5 for the Gamecube is the best lol.

Bomber Man

targetrasp

@BLUEVOODU - 5 and 6 are most definitely viewed through rose tinted glasses. For me they were at a time when my core group of friends were still all in the same place, either finishing school or not having moved off for that awesome job yet. We even took it on a few beach trips. Any time a game is associated with those kinds of memories it's hard not to see it as one of the best.

https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/accessories/switch-pro-player-grips-only-at-gamestop/151524?cid=fds_10000777&CAWELAID=120192760000133871&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=31186556762&CATCI=aud-129631275122:pla-34936473312&&CATARGETID=120192760000098422&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoo7gBRDuARIsANeJKUa4E_D1FwQvMC-Q17QoE_of-PH6mBqXAaPGPBnRJw1ovrNhYozu4vkaAv60EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

here's the grips I found - amazon has some non-branded ones for half that.

BLUEVOODU

yeah.. I understand what you mean by that.  Still... going back to 5 and 6... they are still really fun.

Super Mario Party is a lot of fun but it seems many are ripping on it.   Mario Party can't seem to catch a break.   This one is a lot of fun... though I wish orbs were back.  The new Dice system is interesting - I mean... that only goes so far though.  Some are a tad unfair.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more