Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

NVIDIA RTX Series (2070/2080/2080Ti)

Started by CreepinDeth, September 02, 2018, 09:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CreepinDeth

So NVIDIA announced recently their new RTX 20 series. Besides bringing the usual improvements, this time NVIDIA is adding a new feature, real time Ray Tracing.

What's real time Ray Tracing? I'm going to let Digital Foundry answer that one.

I'm not going to lie, I'm seriously excited about these new cards. They definitely have early adopter prices and I can see why there are people don't feel these would be worth it. However, this is the next evolution in games and that alone makes me want to save up and get one.

[GeForce RTX 20 Series]

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth man.... this is looking better and better.   Dangit Nvidia... I'm trying NOT TO BUILD A PC RIGHT NOW!!!  The price (IMO) It pretty high for the new Nvidia cards.  I know not everyone agrees with me... I think they are high.  But technologies like this are cool.   IT's nice to see GPU's moving ahead and pushing new boundaries.

Does AMD have anything to challenge any of these technologies?  I Hope they start doing something.

CreepinDeth

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on September 02, 2018, 10:21:05 PM
Does AMD have anything to challenge any of these technologies?  I Hope they start doing something.

Not that I know of. I'm hoping they do, mainly to keep the competition going and to keep NVIDIA honest with prices.

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth My Buddy just got his NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti.  I refuse to spend that much money though. Other gamers say "it's worth it..."  but I don't know.  That really ups the build cost.  It really does look cool.

I just don't understand the reason for the high cost - if lack of competition is it or what.  From what I understand, There's still the potential of an AMD and Intel team up in the next year (ish) time frame.

I'm starting to wonder if AMD still has the spirit of ATI.  ATI used to bring out awesome cards.  NVIDIA was having trouble keeping up in the 2007-2010 range.  Then it seems like they put on a full assault since 2013 (ish) time frame.

CreepinDeth

Yeah, I don't feel it's worth the money either but on the other hand, for Ray Tracing to take off we need these early adopters to buy into them. Devs aren't going to make the games if no one has the hardware. There is some lack of competition but this time around, it's probably because NVIDIA can and they're the only card with ray tracing tech.

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on October 12, 2018, 01:54:30 PM
@CreepinDethFrom what I understand, There's still the potential of an AMD and Intel team up in the next year (ish) time frame.

I haven't looked into it too much but I see this being more of a low power, laptop thing. Intel chips are more efficient so it makes sense. I don't see this being a thing on the desktop with Ryzen 2 on the horizon.

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on October 12, 2018, 01:54:30 PM
@I'm starting to wonder if AMD still has the spirit of ATI.  ATI used to bring out awesome cards.  NVIDIA was having trouble keeping up in the 2007-2010 range.  Then it seems like they put on a full assault since 2013 (ish) time frame.

AMD is getting better. They may not be on the same plane as NVIDIA but with Vulkan and DX12 becoming more mainstream, I would expect that gap to close.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more