Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

N64: War Gods Review

Started by retro junkie, September 07, 2018, 08:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

This review is taken from a series of reviews I did a couple of years ago concerning the fighters available for the N64.

The same people that gave us Mortal Kombat are the same people that produced this game, War Gods. If you know how to control your fighters in the Mortal Kombat game then you can step right into this game with no problem. Not sure how I feel about that. But then again, if you have played a Capcom game then you are very familiar with any fighter they have ever produced. It was easy for me to step in and play due to my experience with Mortal Kombat Trilogy in my previous review. (Part of the fun in reviewing these games is learning and discovering moves.)

Trying different modes of play, the "very easy" mode is just not with it. Whenever I can play "very easy" mode in a game and use only one move to defeat a fighter, that is a "practice" mode. Every fighting game, that has a "very easy" mode, I have reviewed up until this point has a good "very easy" mode. They have given a little bit of challenge that is good for a novice, or younger gamer, which helps in learning. But this game, I was able to go through 6 opponents with ease, full bar, and then bam, it turns very hard with the fighter using their special moves continuously. Is this game unfinished? The AI stinks. If you try the "easy" mode, you had better know how to control your fighter or you are going nowhere but down. Across every play mode there seems to be a problem with the AI. You have the fighter viciously attacking you with 10 hit combos one minute then just standing there the next taking your hits. My turn now? And it depends on which character you pick just how your opponent reacts, seemingly. There was one character in "very easy" mode that was unbeatable, for me, which was an easy kill in "hard" mode. There was one fighter in the "normal" mode in which I could beat with just throws, and I ended the fights with a full bar. There is such an imbalance in the gameplay, even across the game modes, that it becomes frustrating. There are fatalities which can be turned off, but I don't think that helps any.

I really like the graphics. They are comparable to CD console games of that time period. And I think they touch on the N64 capabilities. The characters look so good, a lot of detail, even though they seem to be somewhat stiff at times in their animation. Character design is poor among some of the fighters. For example, the witch doctor looking guy would have looked better with a pair of jeans instead of that skirt wrap. And the Egyptian guy should have been wearing baggie beach or cargo shorts. Just slight improvements, I know, but could have went a long way in making those fighters more appealing in their appearance. At least that is my viewpoint.

I liked a lot of the environments. They are very detailed and colorful. You fight in an arena like area that gives you the feeling of 3D . And you can move around this with some limitations and always be facing your opponent. There is no ring out, you are kept in the fighting circle by an invisible barrier that you can be slapped up against and cornered. There was no interaction with any of the environments during any of the fights. Interaction could have added so much to the gameplay.

There are a lot of elements here that could have worked if only the game had been tweaked. Not sure of what they were attempting here. All I ask is for some consistency and balance. I feel that the only way someone could actually like and enjoy this game is in the two player mode. That is where you would get the most satisfaction. And that is if both have equal skills and are familiar with the Mortal Kombat button scheme. I wanted to like this game, really I did. There were those moments when the AI acted civil and that was when I actually had some fun. So I did have some fun with this one and I enjoyed that particular game time. But it is too unpredictable, at least that is my experience. I don't want to stand on the other side of the ring waiting for the clock to click down the time wondering if my opponent is going to move. And that did happen, it was at 67 seconds before we engaged. I am not sure which mode of this Game is best to play, hard, normal? Someone that is very skilled in playing Mortal Kombat could possibly find some challenge and fun in one of the modes of this game. They range from "very easy" to "very hard." And I am sure that there are those gamers out there that really like this game, fans even. As I increase in my skills with Mortal Kombat, I will possibly return occasionally to this game. But for right at this moment, this game just does not have what it takes to keep my attention. But at the same time the more I play this game the more I like it. It kind of grows on you. So I have mixed feelings about this. And my rating could change the more I play. Presently I am going to rate this game as, "I'm glad I only paid $5 instead of $60." Totally unfinished!!

there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Good Review @retro junkie  -  I remember renting this game a couple times.  I honestly do not remember a lot about it though... it's been a very long time.  If I remember right, it played VERY close to Mortal Kombat 4 - the "3D" Mortal Kombat.   I remember having fun with it back in the day, but not enough to buy it.

Good review, Retro.