Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

N64: Mace The Dark Age Review

Started by retro junkie, September 07, 2018, 10:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

This review is taken from a series of reviews I did a couple of years ago concerning the fighters available for the N64.

I love this game and find it hard to put down, yes, addicting. This game is very easy to pick up and play. After two afternoons of playing I found myself easily pulling off, up to, 4 hit combos. And you'll need to be able to perform those combos in order to get anywhere in this game. The computer offers a good challenge, so it is essential that you learn to dodge, or evade, and do combos. You can't just mash one button and walk through this. There are also countermeasures, special moves, fatalities, and throws to learn. I found the controls are tight and responsive which always adds to the fun of any fighter. I did experience some slowdown at one point, could have been associated with the character I was fighting, or stage, not sure. Still, it was there. I did not have anyone to help me try the two player mode, so I really don't know if slowdown is present during that part of the game. There are several modes of play, easy, medium, hard, and very hard. You are not going to just walk through the easy mode without learning some moves first, believe me.

Graphics are very good and exceptional for an N64 fighter. For the time period they were some of the best visuals out there. Detailed character designs are very appealing and a pleasure to behold. They really have that "3D feel" about them. The environments, like every other fighter, are built around the various characters. And each stage is huge, detailed, and has its dangers to avoid while fighting. Some fights, we were all over the place, others I had them backed into a corner. (And some, lets just say, I didn't like being pushed into those revolving blades, there will be a rematch and revenge.) There are 12 fighters to choose from with hidden characters to unlock. Love the good ole days of unlocking instead of the "down loadable content" monster. You have the option, if you so choose, to turn off the blood and fatalities. I, personally, find the game well balanced, with each fighter having their own strengths and weaknesses. Some fighters have a longer reach, for example, causing you to use strategy. Again there is that motivation to continue learning, building your skills, and experience, in order to advance in the game. I find it a joy as I learn and begin to master some of the fighters. I find myself wanting an arcade stick and buttons. I even hold my controller in that fashion with fingers across the top six buttons, the yellow ones with the blue and green.

I think any novice, like me, or skilled gamer, will find this one hard to put down. It is a good game that is fun to get into with lots of depth. Mace is an arcade to home console port. The game was released by Midway, the same people that gave us Mortal Kombat. Not to say that has any bearing on whether this game is bad or good. The atmosphere here brings to mind Soul Blade. My feelings are that I like this game better than any of the Mortal Kombat games and find the elements more interesting. And I think it deserved a sequel on the N64 that it never got. That is our misfortune. I love arcade gaming and that is what this game is all about. I put this game in the top ten of my list of fighters on the N64. It is a very good weapons based fighter. I give it a thumbs up and rate it as "Awesome Game." And I recommend it to any one who loves a good arcade fighter. Just prepare to spend some time with this one. That is the only way you'll get the full pleasurable experience of Mace.

there is no spoon

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more