Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

N64 and its Fighters

Started by retro junkie, September 09, 2018, 02:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

When it comes to fighters the N64 is not known for having any. I think the reason why is because there are no CAPCOM or SNK fighters on the N64 console. This did leave a big void in the "fighter genre" game library of the system. As a retro gamer it is interesting just to look back and play through the N64 library of fighters. I  judged those that are available on their own merit. Can they stand on their own as a capable fighter? One must remember that many of the fighters, of the competing game systems, that they were up against, was also blocky, 2D'ish, and had limited detail in their characters. Looking at the same similar type fighters, two stand out as having set the standard at the end of that generation, Tekken and Virtua Fighter. CAPCOM really is the one who started the fire. SNK made a big impact in the arcades right in the middle of the fight. Standing here at this point in gaming, you take a different perspective when revisiting. There is no shadow of those popular big fighting games intimidating or thumbing their noses at the N64. Street Fighter, Tekken, and Virtua Fighter were the kings in their day.

I love a good fighting game. But I think that fighting games where a phenomenon of 90s. That was the height of their popularity. And I think the driving force behind that, was that period in gaming history. Arcades played a major role as did the gaming systems of that time. There was so much competitiveness between companies to release the best game to draw crowds. Arcades were the experimental proving grounds.

As the ports of fighters came home, and arcades began closing, this led to a winding down of genre. More powerful consoles resulted in a change in the industry and new directions in gaming. Gamers moved on with those changes. A new fighter being released today does not have the same impact as it did back in those days.

I really think that the N64 and its fighters are an acquired taste. What do you think?
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie You make interesting points.  Fighting games outside a few these days really haven't caught on.  PS3 King of Fighters XII and XIII didn't catch on.  I bought them but barely played them. 

Playstation All-Star Battle Royale -- it was fun and died off somewhat quickly.

GAmes that did catch on but were short lived (in my opinion) - Tekken Tag Tournament 2 --> This game was a blast.  And Super Street Fighter IV and V ... and the thousand iterations.

The N64 era fighters were unique and the platform received Mortal Kombat 3 and 4.   At the time... Street Fighter didn't have as much of a hold on the market anymore.  SNK fighters were SNK fighters, but they only truly played well on an Neo Geo.  I have yet to see a VERY GOOD port until more recent times - like 2005 and beyond.   I really liked Killer Instinct.  This title alone made up for the lull in the genre.  The Mortal Kombat games were pleasing... and I liked several of the different styled fighters you noted in other reviews.   You have to think... we weren't too far off Virtua fighter by the time frame... so there was a technology element going on as well -  the rush to 3D fighters.

There are many good fighters out there now, but as you point out... the genre dipped.  In a way, it flat lined.    In many ways, I was still playing the Neo Geo and those fighters.  Other fighting games just didn't hold to the same level as Samurai Shodown series... King of Fighters... Fatal Fury series...etc.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more