Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

What Current OS Are you Running?

Started by BLUEVOODU, September 09, 2018, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

What PC OS are you Running?  What is your favorite OS to run ... and what do you find best for PC gaming these days.

Are you running Windows 8.1, Windows 7,  or have you fully upgraded to Windows 10? 
* Pro? Home?  etc..

Are you a Linux PC Person or MAC OS?

Post it up and what you like the most.

CreepinDeth

Windows 10 for all of my daily driver PCs. Linux on my netbook that strictly plays music and on an old 10 year PC that's still hanging in there.

Maybe one day I'll return to Mac OS but I love to tinker so being one and done with a Mac doesn't really intrigue me. But some of the apps are great and well engineered so I am curious in that front.

retro junkie

I use a Lenovo R60 laptop running Linux, Mint. My desktop is a lenovo thinkcentre m 7298 running Linux, Zorin. I am not too demanding in my use, the OS does everything that I need it to do. Totally satisfied. Used the Linux OS for years. Windows Me was the last time I used Windows.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth I still use Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 lol... Windows 8.1 was a sigh in the Windows line.  It's like that with Windows ME, and Windows 8.1.  I would say that about Windows Vista... but it was basically Windows 7 after Service Pack 2 and got rid of the suck.

@retro junkie That's cool - I really haven't used Linux much for the "user / gamer" side of computers.  I've used it for servers and what-not.  I'd like to throw it on a test machine.  Where did you get your OS... Download...etc?

retro junkie

ebay. I usually just purchase a premade disc for around $5.  ;D
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

lol I See @retro junkie ... so you don't download... compile...etc.  That's cool though.   I need to install a vm or something of Linux.   I work with Linux (or Linux derivatives) servers at work.  I'm getting more and more experience with them.

Do you do anything command line based?  Or just stay in the Gui?

retro junkie

I use to download. Back when I first started messing with Linux, 15 years ago  :question: , I set up a computer and began to tinker. I soon started a dual boot gradually weaning myself off of Windows and learning what was compatible and how to use. Then one day I went cold turkey by building my own rig with Linux as the OS. SuSe became my OS of choice back then which had its roots in Germany at that point. I had went through a lot of different flavors before I settled. I liked a lot of distros that no longer exist and no support, like  Libranet. Loved Debian but stayed away from it for the following reasons. After a few years I set back and took a self examination as to what I was doing. I was spending more time tinkering and fiddling with the OS than I was actually using it. I did play with command line in those early days and compile things. I finally just stopped all the crazy stuff and decided to just use it and leave things alone!  :nerd: The tinkering can be such an addiction and time consuming. Been so long since I did any of that I think I have forgotten it. I have watched Linux change so much over the years. Now you can just simply put a disc in and it finds everything and loads up, reboot. And you are using it. (I have been spoiled.) Back then you could not do that with Debian or Slackware, and many others. I remember all the talk in the magazines about user friendly, and I would laugh out loud. The common individual is not even aware that they are using an OS on a computer. Linux did not hold your hand like Windows does.

I really liked Puppy Linux back then.
there is no spoon

CreepinDeth

These days you don't have to compile distros. I just download the distro and create a bootable USB drive and install it that way. Don't even need a disc drive anymore. These are glorious times.  ;D

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: CreepinDeth on September 11, 2018, 12:47:58 AM
These days you don't have to compile distros. I just download the distro and create a bootable USB drive and install it that way. Don't even need a disc drive anymore. These are glorious times.  ;D

@CreepinDeth LOL - Where do you get yours from?    It's been such a long time since I messed with Linux outside certain server editions.

@retro junkie - I hear what you mean.  I like tinkering with many things... including web technologies.  It's been a long time since I have been able to do that as well.... life has been super busy.    I miss doing that at times.     That's funny you mentioned puppy Linux.  It's been a LONG time since I've heard that.

CreepinDeth

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on September 12, 2018, 05:37:03 PM
@CreepinDeth LOL - Where do you get yours from?    It's been such a long time since I messed with Linux outside certain server editions.

I just grab [Ubuntu]

From what I've read it has the most PC Component support. Especially legacy support. I don't think I've encountered an issue with Ubuntu. Linux Mint is a distro based off of Ubuntu. That one is more like Windows in terms of UI.

Bomber Man

The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma...

retro junkie

Quote from: CreepinDeth on September 12, 2018, 11:34:08 PM
Quote from: BLUEVOODU on September 12, 2018, 05:37:03 PM

I just grab [Ubuntu]

From what I've read it has the most PC Component support. Especially legacy support. I don't think I've encountered an issue with Ubuntu. Linux Mint is a distro based off of Ubuntu. That one is more like Windows in terms of UI.

Zorin also is based on Ubuntu with a Windows friendly UI.
there is no spoon

CreepinDeth

Oh yeah, forgot about Zorin. I remember you telling me about it.

Quote from: retro junkie on September 19, 2018, 10:52:06 PM
Zorin also is based on Ubuntu with a Windows friendly UI.

BLUEVOODU

@Bomber Man lol.. Win7 is boss, eh?

Zorin is an epic name... just saying.

targetrasp

It was named after the Sharknado guy...

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on September 20, 2018, 03:53:13 PM
@Bomber Man lol.. Win7 is boss, eh?

Zorin is an epic name... just saying.

BLUEVOODU

Lol that would figure @targetrasp ... now... was that sarcasm? Or truth ... or both??  ;D

targetrasp

BLUEVOODU

I checked out Zorin... I'm going to try to do it via VMware or virtual box.   Next up for me are Linux certifications - so doing a few things right now with Linux.    I will be doing Linux / SAP work in the near future.

CreepinDeth

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on October 11, 2018, 05:29:56 PM
I will be doing Linux / SAP work in the near future.

Nice. I'm about jump all in on Linux. I just updated an old PC of mine and threw Ubuntu on it and played Tomb Raider (2013) on it. Ran pretty great.

BLUEVOODU

Nice - Did you dual boot?  Or install Linux only?  Do you do much at the command line level?

CreepinDeth

For this older PC, no, I didn't dual boot. It's mostly just to be an emulation PC. The Processor could still be better but it gets the job done. I've mostly been doing things through the command line. The only thing I didn't do through the command line was the installation of the NVIDIA drivers. Ubuntu handles that really easily. Way easier than on Windows.

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth @retro junkie  @targetrasp I might make a Linux topic.  I installed Microsoft Hyper-V on Windows 10 and now I have Ubuntu and OpenSuse installed.  I'm going to test with CENTOS as well Fedora.  These are all a part of studies that I'm doing right now.

I'm starting to work with Amazon Web Servers (AWS)... and Working to start my Technical Documentation / How-to site. All this new knowledge as well as all my stuff from work will be documented for a couple different reasons.  Most importantly... for me to keep out there for myself and I plan to do this and share with others.  There won't much of a forum there - but Might be looking for people to help with some technical documentation, how-to articles, and they will range from Easy to Level III type work.  I plan to have easier stuff for people searching on stuff like How-to with Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint...  or power setting stuff - and there will be organization to help segregate stuff.

Anyway... more on that later.

targetrasp

You'd think now that windows has outgrown that generation of cheap netbook type computers that had that tiny disk space you couldn't expand, Linux would start to be really popular. It's always been really good for repurposing old hardware but limited to the more tech savvy crowd. now with Ubuntu et. al. looking at working like a windows clone, not to mention the step by step youtube videos, Linux would take off.

BLUEVOODU

Well... considering Android is a Linux Derivative... I believe it's the most installed OS.  You cannot get your standard user to really get beyond a few features in Windows, it would be hard with Linux.  There are some technical challenges for people - Windows normally just has this stuff readily available where they don't have to think.  Think about iPhone versus Android phone.  There's a lot more to an Android phone.  Your standard user doesn't want to think.

retro junkie

Okay I got the itch. I have been wanting to do this for a very long time. I had been using Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa on my Lenovo R60 laptop. It is a very good OS and I have been using it for a very long time,  since its availability. I would still recommend it. It will be supported until 2019. And it is a very good stable OS that will just run. But on this laptop there has always been this slight sluggishness that I have overlooked. So this weekend I did a big backup of everything, wow 32g of stuff. The rest I deleted.
I went for something very minimalistic. Hoping for some speed and power out of this old laptop. Can that happen to something so, retro? Computers get old so quickly. If it is on the shelf for sale it has already been replaced.
So after downloading and burning a few Distros I think I have finally settled on "Bodhi Linux."  I have loaded and installed Bodhi Linux 5.0.0 Legacy, 32 bit. Bodhi Linux is a lightweight Ubuntu-based (18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver) distribution featuring Moksha, an Enlightenment-17-based desktop environment. The download installs a very simple, basic, light linux OS. There is really nothing here in the way of programs, only five pre-installed applications. You get Midori as the browser. I really like the simplicity of nothing but a starting point. The first thing you have to do is download the synaptic package manager. From there you really just build your own Distro. I loaded up Chromium for my browser, I don't like Midori. Installed LibreOffice and GIMP. I will gradually add more programs as I think of them. The install configured everything but my aspect ratio on the screen. That was easily adjusted. The GUI has a nice clean fresh look. And it runs fast and smooth on this old clunker. I think this would be okay for linux noobes if they had a little instruction and some guidance. But I do not believe it is friendly enough for anyone that is a first time user. And this has just been released and has long term support. Loving this a lot. Already downloaded me some wallpaper. I am ready to go. Going to try this out for the next month.

there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Very cool - So you noticed a speed increase?  I noticed UBUNTU works very well - in the same context you mentioned.  Especially using Oracle Virtual Box...  I have not installed these OS's out of a Virtual environment at this time.  I mean I have installed them previously on boxes, but at this point, I'm installing virtual environments.    This would be where I can have several different OS's installed.  The UBUNTU environment I installed is UBUNTU Server 18.04.1.  I'm going to have that environment setup - bridged the network connections... and then CENTOS (and I plan to work with Fedora) will connect to it.  This is currently underway - the connections and bridged networks are all setup and ready to go.

Have you tried working with something like this, @retro junkie ?

retro junkie

I have experienced a great speed increase. Right now this little laptop is fast and smooth. It is amazing when you get just the right combination together, makes all the difference in the world. Even in Libre writer, when I hit a key I instantaneous have the letter on screen. Before I would type the whole sentence and I could sit and watch the words appear, if you know what I mean.  :)) Scrolling in a browser is no longer choppy. No long waiting for everything in a page to load.

I have only worked with the Linux OS. I have never ventured into any server stuff.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

fantastic wallpaper.

I like ubuntu, I like libre office.

For repurposing old computers to surf the web and office applications you can't beat Linux. Retro Pi is pretty awesome and ipod linux was fun to mess around with.

Windows is still must have for gaming pc.

CreepinDeth

This is what I love about Linux. There are distros for enthusiasts, for the low spec user and everyone else in between. Windows can't escape the business side of things because it makes them lots of money so they're stuck on what they can improve upon and release.

Also, Linux is much better at supporting multiple CPU cores than Windows. I plan on building an AMD Threadripper machine sometime next year and unfortunately Windows sucks at balance loading across all of the cores that Threadripper has.

retro junkie

Okay, I love the Bodhi Linux. Over the Holiday weekend I backed up my desktop, and did a complete install of Bodhi Linux. Got everything loaded back up and running. Awesome!  8)
there is no spoon

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more