Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

What are your thoughts if we move Forum Software?

Started by BLUEVOODU, September 15, 2018, 12:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

All,

Please post up your thoughts.  I dig Simple Machines Forums... I like how the operate... but there are some limitations.  Part in my current knowledge to move certain aspects faster, and part in what connects with Simple Machines.  I'm looking to see if I am able to get around this with maybe Drupal and combining SMF.  The Drupal forums lack HARD.

The other option right now is Xenforo... which has a resources add-on that's a pseudo Content management system.   It works nice, but I still favor Simple Machines a bit after a few demo attempts.  It does make life easier creating review / documentation type content.  I'm also looking into this for another site.   This will cost $250-580- ish (somewhere in there).  That's 1 time unless I need to update in 1 year and that's on top of domain/hosting expenses.

I need to decide before moving forward on other projects.  Plus I need to get more of the social media sites setup and aiming back here.

If you haven't logged on in awhile... come back, post up, and stay awhile.  I would like to hear from as many members as possible (even if you aren't super active).

Thank you for your input,
†B†V†

Kinikko

That's... quite a pretty penny (that's like 2 - 3 weeks of work for me so that's a scary amount of money LOL).  I'm trying to think of how to word my question I have... I guess I don't really know how to justify spending that kind of money?  Like what would we be able to do with the new one that we can't on here?  But I guess if you're already looking into it with another site and you were going to go through with it anyway then I wouldn't mind trying it out. 

Hope that wasn't too confusing of input.  XD I'm kind of confused myself so idk.
moo.

BLUEVOODU

@Kinikko - we aren't necessarily changing cdg to a new site right now.   I was thinking of combining all site ideas right now into a new site.  This is still on the table and the games section would be expanded kind of like it was before with a bunch more sections.  But right now...  I'm not sure. 

This discussion is more around staying on the software for cdg or moving to something else - for cdg. We are a limited right now.  If I do a portal...  that alleviates some things, but I tested it out don't dig how it works.   

The new software would allow a gallery, better posting capabilities for reviews and codes in a resources section.   Plus there are social integrations... some integrations with discord .... Etc. But I do have a fondness of simple machines and if I had the other integrations, I wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Does that make more sense?

Boomsickle

I vote to move it, for what it's worth. I wanna be part of this community, but when it comes to competing with things like Discord and the ease of things like Facebook groups, coming back here and needing to type a capcha just to send a PM sort of goes to show that this system is showing its age. Speaking of which, IS there a discord group?

BLUEVOODU

@Boomsickle Yes there is:
https://www.chickendinnergaming.com/forum/index.php?topic=7.0

Join up!

As far as entering captcha for PM.. do you have to do that every time?  You shouldn't have to.  PLease let me know.   So you feel this system shows it's age?

Part of the idea I had would be a site under a different name... but we would cover gaming AS MUCH if not more than here (meaning more boards).  It would cover a tech idea I had.. as well as a small beginning of other ideas.  I've already received several points of interest to do this.   

Either way, we need to make sure we maintain somewhat of an active crowd by many members to ensure more continue to join.

retro junkie

Being an old geezer and retro. I am not sure I understand the question.  ???
there is no spoon

Grindspine

I have zero thoughts about forum background software.

Kinikko

Quote from: retro junkie on September 15, 2018, 07:23:38 PM
Being an old geezer and retro. I am not sure I understand the question.  ???

Yeahhh  o.oU  Really trying to understand it but it totally is going over my head.  XD
moo.