Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

LEGO?

Started by Bomber Man, September 17, 2018, 08:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomber Man

Hey is there anyone who likes lego here. I love legos, there my fav thing to build when I'm bored. Heck I'll even destroy and rebuild lego sets just to build.

QUESTION: Do any of you guys still use/build/play with legos, and do you think this is a worthy topic? Post below!
The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma...

targetrasp

Legos are awesome. I try to get my son a big set at least once a year so we can spend time building something amazing. We're building a millennium falcon at the moment.

Bomber Man

That's really cool. I'm trying to decide what set I'll destroy and rebuild  :)

BLUEVOODU

We haven't done it for awhile... but we used to get big sets and build them every Christmas.  Attention was focused else-where over the last few years.  But I still bought my son cool sets.

I Think we need to rebuild the Battle for Helms Deep set.

I missed purchasing the Tower of Orthanc one Christmas... We really wanted to build that.  And it was out of production ever since then.

targetrasp

I forget, was that the one that had the eye floating above it?

BLUEVOODU

No - that was Saruman's tower. Gandalf and Saruman's battle it out there. And it's in Isengard.   

BLUEVOODU

Lego Harry Potter had some of the best sets @targetrasp and @Bomber Man .  They were pretty awesome. Howard's castle was a lot of fun but was complicated. 

We mixed hogwarts castle with spongebob, lotr, minecraft (minecraft dragon was attacking and all evil was against good characters).... And a couple other sets lol. It was a good battle.

Grindspine

My Eggo!

Were we talking about waffles here?  ;D

BLUEVOODU

lol...

@Grindspine -  and in the morning.... I'm making  - WAFFLES.

We might be talking about Lego Waffles.  I'm sure that's been done before.  AHEM:
Kelloggs Lego Eggo Waffles - theimpulsivebuy.com

;D

targetrasp

@BLUEVOODU do you keep these bigger sets in tact? It's dang hard to keep Parker from tearing these things to pieces and mixing them in with the general Legos. It wasn't until I took his great grandmother's china cabinet and started filling it with Lego sets that said sets haven't been reduced to midnight snack landmines and Roomba fodder.

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp it really depends.  There are some we kept together...  others we ripped apart and put back together.  And then there was a time we combined spongebob, Harry Potter, minecraft, I think some lotr, and I think regular Lego police / robbers / firefighters.  There were some other random mini figures in there as well. Lol

That was a lot of fun to put together.

targetrasp

as I kid I could never keep a set together. I'd put it together as soon as I got it, then tear it apart and leave it with the rest of the lego sets. Mom would get rid of the instruction booklets (or i'd tear them up) and then just more pieces that were hard to build outside of their intended purpose.

I hoped my kid wouldn't inherit that but I started small just in case. at one point we had the first 3 or 4 waves of the mixels put together on display, a lot of the little star wars stuff, and some batman stuff. All long gone... books are in shambles, legos are scattered, and many many pieces missing.

Fast Forward a few years. If I can tear him away from Fortnite, my son will build stuff with me on occasion. We take our sweet time though. The Millenium Falcon is from his birthday in 2017, and we still have a 5 more bags worth of parts to go.

I really want to get this thing finished before Christmas so i can pick up something else.

BLUEVOODU

I hear you... the London bridge took us 2 weeks of solid work to finish. That was 4000+ pieces.   IF I remember correct... the large falcon is above 3000 pieces... the ultimate is like 7000+ pieces... which is crazy!  That would be awesome to build that one.

That's the 1 problem (not sure if problem is the right word) with a lot of Lego sets.  the custom pieces that only work with that set and you cannot really use them for other stuff.  Although I've seen some really creative uses for those custom pieces.

Bomber Man

I remember that I built that once, and I had to rebuild it, all because of a simple mistake.

Bomber Man

The most interesting sets (my opinion) is the Minecraft sets. I don't know why I think they are just creative.

targetrasp

I never got one, they seemed overpriced, even for legos.

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp They are overpriced normally... but have come back in line with a more reasonable cost on the current sets.  You can usually find them for discount a little bit after they are launched.  At that point, you can find some pretty ridiculous deals.

Some of the larger sets can be found for pretty good deals as well.  They have unique parts... but nothing SUPER crazy that you cannot use with other sets. 

Overall ... the Minecraft sets are super unique and pretty cool.  Though some of the earlier ones were way over priced and pretty basic... and filled with small 1x1 pieces and studs.  I still liked them at that point, because they were unique - IE the Minecraft cube boxes. They just weren't work the price.