Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

C64 Mini

Started by targetrasp, October 06, 2018, 11:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

targetrasp

Anyone have one of these on the way? Admittedly $80 seems high for the games included, but this thing looks prime for tinkering, and it's yet another piece of nostalgia tugging on the love of the rainbow clad electronics of the 80's. It releases on October 9th

BLUEVOODU

LOL... I looked this up - it has a BASIC interpreter as well.

I probably will skip out on this one though I'm sure many are excited for it.

@targetrasp Do you have links and any other information?

retro junkie

Just looked this up. I'm impressed that I can pull out my old Playstation keyboard and hook it up to the USB. That would be the only thing that would get me interested. Although I have passed along anything that is C64 a long time ago, I still miss the simple basic programming. (wished I still had everything) I have totally forgotten all I knew back then. Wished I still at least had the programming book. Lot of memories.

I remember pealing off several hundred dollars for a C64 only to turn around and get the C128. My Daughter was around 5 or 6. I would come home from work and she would meet me at the door wanting another round of bubble bobble, two player. Fun stuff.

I am interested but right now I can't do a preorder. And it looks like the AC adapter is not included?!
there is no spoon

targetrasp

I gets power from USB so use one of the 23049324039 cables you've got laying around. I step on them like I used to step on Legos.

The information about this this is so limited but the best source of something is https://thec64.com/faq/

I'm excited to go back to Commodore Basic. My last computer programming education was in Visual Basic, so the syntax is at least familiar.

Honestly, I don't think i'll play this much at all. I may not even take it out of the package... There's a lot of different ways to play with pretty much any flavor of Basic. It seems like it's going to be a pain in the butt with latency.

retro junkie

I used to have stacks of C64 magazines filled with programs to type in. Some in basic and some in machine language.  ;)

I would spend hours typing in some of those games.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

The C64 hit when I was 1 so I only saw what people had stashed in their basements and closets. I had one friend that had tape and floppy drives, dot matrix printers, and a crap load of games and applications. We spent a weekend or two messing around with some of it but it wasn't until the TI-70 something calculator and MS DOS (something prior to 6.0) that I really got to learn BASIC.

I'm sure this thing will be more of a display piece but it'll scratch a nostalgic itch.

BLUEVOODU

So did anyone end up picking one of these up?  If so... how is it?