Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Nintendo Switch - Online Service will be Payable

Started by BLUEVOODU, February 14, 2018, 11:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

I heard this a little while back... Nintendo's Online Service will start charging.  here is the link for Nintendo Switch Online Server

It was only a matter of time until Nintendo followed suit with Playstation Network and Xbox Live.   

While they're only charging $20 per year... which is relatively fair... there are no trophies / achievements listed on the site.

What are your thoughts? Post it up!

targetrasp

20 yearly is nothing. that's half an hour in an arcade, trampoline park, or county fair. It's lunch for two at a fast food restaurant.

It's a whole lot easier to get the entire family online for 20 a console than it is at 60.

Access to nintendo's virtual library could be worth the cost of admission without anything else.

3rd party support is pretty lame for nintendo so this will most likely be IN ADDITION to xbox live or psn. I couldn't imagine playing Monster Hunter, Call of Duty, Destiny, Halo, etc. on the Switch and likeing it. I think their choice of media may be slightly behind blu ray disks as a dual layer bluray holds 50 GB (UHD bluray can be double that) of data where the biggest nintendo game card holds 32 gb. Without a huge 3rd party library their online  service won't hold up to a hard core gamer's needs on it's own.

It'll make a nice addition for under $2.00 a month though!

BLUEVOODU

Those are very good points.    I think I was most shocked at $20 being the cost of fast food for 2 these days.   Weird to read that... but true.

It would be cool if they added an achievement system at some point...

I agree though... $20 isn't too bad for the service.  Do you have a link as to what will be "accessible" in the Virtual library?

targetrasp

retro junkie

Quote from: targetrasp on February 15, 2018, 11:16:36 PM

I think their choice of media may be slightly behind blu ray disks as a dual layer bluray holds 50 GB (UHD bluray can be double that) of data where the biggest nintendo game card holds 32 gb.
I am not trying to defend their choice of 32gb as the limit on their cart size.
And I don't want to hijack this thread but...................I think the technology of the disc in general is no longer viable. The present consoles have become so powerful that they have left the disc technology behind, be it Blu-ray or DVD. It is now inadequate. It served its purpose in its day. Case in point, load times to enable you to play the game (My XBOX 1 kills me). Some new media needs to be invented. I think Nintendo realizes this with the Switch. Today's consoles need instant access. Either we need a new media or its digital downloads, or cloud based gaming. I just feel that even more with this current generation consoles.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

I think you're right... I mean, it takes a long time to load via disk and most systems download games to the hard drive.  However, many user's Internet connections are not at the speed they need to make digital distribution 100% viable either.  I mean it is, but you wait forever for some updates... depending on the connection you have.  If multiple games have updates... that can take awhile as well before the game you want is playable.