Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

LG OLED Wall Paper TV ... I know I'm a Year Late... buuuutttttt

Started by BLUEVOODU, November 07, 2018, 02:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

I have to revisit this one:

Current prices appear to be about $12-13k for the 77" version of this LG Signature TV --> LG OLED77W8P 77" 4k TV 2160P - Wallpaper OLED - Smart TV - UHD - HDR.  I was trying to get a link to the LG site... but it's not loading so far.  Must be for the high demand of this TV  ;D

UPDATE - I was able to get to the site now:
lg-OLED77W7P-signature-oled-4k-tv - LG.com

This TV looks pretty cool and  in one of the comments he states "the TV is a little flexible."  I've seen this with Nokia test smart phones way many years back.  They were developing flexible screens.. though this never actually came out on the Nokia phones.   They had the tech though.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Post it up!

targetrasp

I like the small thickness but see no reason for a flexible screen on a television. 12,000 is waay too much for a tv, especially when mine sticks out MAYBE 4". it's not like the footprint changes dramatically

BLUEVOODU

lol small thickness.       The large Smallness is great too.

$12K is WAY too much for a TV.  I doubt this one will ever make it to the cheaper realms either.  Honestly... I have trouble spending over $1200 for a TV these days.  I love a superb tv just as much as the next, but I'm still rocking my 80LB 55" Plasmas I bought.  The glass on the front is thick and it's a solid build.    Many of the TVs today are super cheaply built.  They are light and super easy to break if you meat claw them wrong.  They look pretty good though...

targetrasp

@BLUEVOODU IDK - Plasma and DLP is just too much. I'm ok being a little careful, especially since I can hang a 70 inch LED by myself. I doubt I could do that with a 35 inch plasma!

I have dropped a few LED tvs and had no problems... others have no been as fortunate.

BLUEVOODU

When we moved, I handled the plasma.  But I had to hold it odd - definitely not proper. It was cussing at myself left and right because I thought I was going to break it lol. I probably should've broke it ... thankfully I didn't.   It's a heavy frickin TV, but it's solid. 

You're right. The tv's today are easier to handle.  We bought a couple smaller tvs...  and every one we received had to be returned except 1 because they just broke. Samsung tvs too.

retro junkie

My main flatscreen is a 32 inch TCL Roku TV. I got it at a reasonable price of $130. it is my understanding that modern TVs have an expected lifespan of around five years, or 60,000-100,000 hours. (And your right, TVs are made so cheap, quick sell, low quality so they can sell me another.) Longer than that and you have yourself a winner. (Plasma is more robust.) I remember old CRTs were rock solid giving you a good 20 to 30 years of entertainment. The only time I can see myself paying a higher price for a flatscreen will be when they start broadcasting in 4K within the next couple of years. I will then get me a TCL 40 inch 4K. That would be the most I would want to pay. I guess I am just old school having higher expectations. If I could be given an idea that I can go out a get a flatscreen and it would last me the rest of my life, then I would be willing to fork out the extra dough. But it is not just the lifespan of the TV that has to be my concern in our modern era, technology just keeps changing. I use an outdoor antenna to receive my programming with the built in addition of the Roku of my TV. When they start broadcasting 4K my 32 inch TCL tuner will be worthless. Presently there is not a TV on the market that has a 4K tuner.
Having said all that.
Looking at this extra large paper-thin TV cashing in at 12-13K... :o (My cats would love to shred this.) I cannot see myself peeling off enough cash to have this, especially with the fact that I do not have a wall in my whole house that could hang this thing. I would cover up a window or door. Realistically the only  thing I could see this benefiting is a business. The company I work for have very large screen TVs in their meeting rooms. There might be those  movie buffs out there that would love this to go with their curtain drawn dark room full of Blu-rays and DVDs. I have yet to see an AFV video were someone throws a Wii remote into one.  :))

The largest TV that I could honestly accommodate would be somewhere around a 40 inch. 49 inch would be pushing it.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

It would definitely free up some space, that's for sure... but the "sound bar" it pretty large and there's short cable attaching it to the TV.   The larger components and connections of the TV are housed in the larger sound bar.

I agree though... $13000...  is ridiculous.

I plan to keep rocking my plasma for a long time... even though I'd like to venture into the 4K realm at some point in the future.  The TV will have to meet the build quality of the Plasma I currently own though.  It won't be as heavy... they just aren't as heavy... that's not totally a bad thing.  but I don't want to give up the sturdiness.

Grindspine

targetrasp

I was so sick when my last crtv died - no more duck hunt, time crisis, house of the dead... I'd love to find a nice shape wega some where

BLUEVOODU

lol @Grindspine yeah.. that is nice. I dig it.

I know what you mean @targetrasp ... my parents still have a larger 4:3 tv.  It's a Toshiba Cinema series from the late 90's... and It plays all the old games well... not the newer formats very well though.

targetrasp

I had a 36" Sony Trinitron that I adored. I played a lot of Nintendo thru ps2 on that one.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: targetrasp on December 08, 2018, 08:05:52 AM
I had a 36" Sony Trinitron that I adored. I played a lot of Nintendo thru ps2 on that one.
Nintendo through PS2?  Wait... what?  lol...

targetrasp

1986 Sony Trinitron (or 89 maybe) it made it to 200-something then one day just smelled like burnt hair and wouldn't turn on. I miss that heavy basta%&