Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

What Brand of Mother Board do you lean towards?

Started by BLUEVOODU, February 15, 2018, 08:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

What brand of mother board to you tend to favor?   Why do you favor those brands?

This will probably change over time as features change and companies progress.

BLUEVOODU

Personally... I favor ASUS motherboards.   Even though I had problems with one in particular.  I'm sure I'll post that story somewhere around here at some point.  Super Frustrating.

MSI has pretty good mother boards as well.

targetrasp

I used to cuss MSI and Matsonic so bad. I'd have conflict after conflict.

My most favorite board was an Abit NF7s I had a pair last well over a decade with daily use. I'm lucky if HDDs last half that long.

Asus or Gigabyte have always been solid boards for my needs in more recent times, since the departure of Abit. I really couldn't say one was better than the other, i really decide based upon features, aesthetics, and sale price.

Honestly though, for household workstations i've had great luck with HP proliants. Every bedroom in the house has one that's been repurposed from a hotel or car dealership. The case doesn't have such a large footprint and an I5 is plenty for all but the most demanding games. They make great internet surfing / microsoft office using computers.

Polygon

I have no aversion to a particular brand. The mainstream players all produce decent boards. With how many computers I've built, I've found that you have to judge each board on it's own because, while they can all make a decent mobo, they all turn out crap ones too.

BLUEVOODU

That is very true... and there's nothing worse than having a bad motherboard and having to prove it.  It may be easier and more fun to have your fingernails pulled out with pliers ... than to troubleshoot and prove you have a bad motherboard.

Asus Rampage 3... don't even want to go into that story lol :D

Polygon

Yeah, I had an MSi mobo like that a long time ago. And yeah, unless you have a known good to test with, testing a mobo is a real crap shoot.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: BlastMode7 on February 21, 2018, 04:57:30 PM
Yeah, I had an MSi mobo like that a long time ago. And yeah, unless you have a known good to test with, testing a mobo is a real crap shoot.
Exactly... but it's also in part how tech support handles it.

I've been Dell certified before and replaced tons of parts at work - now the new IT guys just have techs come out and work.  Dell's newest gig is to make you send it off.   That's dumb IMO.

Anyway... I can pretty easily tell when there is a MOBO issue.  The tech support guys don't care what you know.  I guess for good reason because I'm sure they handle a lot of hard to handle cases.  I couldn't imagine doing that for the general population... customer service... but for fixing mother boards... barf.

ThravRande

I'm on my third Gigabyte in 8 years. I only had one crap out on me, and that was only because I had it running during a thunderstorm and my surge protector wasn't enough to save it. But besides that I've never had any issues at all with my cards.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: ThravRande on March 16, 2018, 02:21:23 PM
I'm on my third Gigabyte in 8 years. I only had one crap out on me, and that was only because I had it running during a thunderstorm and my surge protector wasn't enough to save it. But besides that I've never had any issues at all with my cards.
@ThravRande Gigabyte is solid like MSI and ASUS.  There are several gamers at work that swear by Gigabyte... and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Gigabyte.  I guess I wouldn't hesitate to buy MSI or ASUS either... maybe slight hesitation on ASUS lol... I would rather have my nails pulled out with pliers than to have Motherboard issues.

targetrasp

@BLUEVOODU I was wrong about MSI, it was DFI that I hated. after that I treated all the 3 letter boards as lepers.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: targetrasp on April 05, 2018, 10:54:32 PM
@BLUEVOODU I was wrong about MSI, it was DFI that I hated. after that I treated all the 3 letter boards as lepers.
@targetrasp LOL... I see :)  I don't really have experience with DFI that I know of... makes sense though.     

LOL... 3 letter lepers.   That's funny.

targetrasp