Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

The Chickendinnergaming.com Metal Thread!

Started by BLUEVOODU, November 17, 2018, 01:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

OK - Looks like I'm starting it up!    This is the chickendinnergaming.com Metal Thread!   We mentioned Creating this in the Roms, Emulation, and Nintendo topic.

@targetrasp @CreepinDeth @Grindspine - let's kick it off!  Not exactly sure where the topic will go.. but steer ahead!

I've been listing to Megadeth, Fear Factory, and Unearth a lot lately.     

targetrasp

Fear Factory - good stuff

Tony Campos has been in so many hard rock / metal bands that I really liked - Ministry, Fear Factory, Static-X, Soulfly...

BLUEVOODU

Fear factory demanufactered is still one of my favorite cds. That and Megadeth Rust in Peace... hanger 18 and tornado of souls keeps getting better and better

Speaking of metal thread , allow me to break the ice!  (Crazy song but love the last 40 seconds)

BLUEVOODU

Alrrrigghttt.... everybody Chill! lol.  No takers for Austrian Death Machine?

targetrasp

Metal is a lot like pizza for me. It's all good, or at least tolerable (looking at you Little Ceasears) but few really stand out. Austrian Death Machine isn't something i'd rattle off as a stand-out but I wouldn't turn it off.

BLUEVOODU

LOL... I hear you... I used to like AS I Lay Dying a lot until the singer was convicted for trying to setup a deal to kill his wife.  I still like the music a bit... but it killed it for me.    Austrian Death Machine is essentially As I Lay Dying plus Guests.. and Arnold Schwarzenegger... and songs about all his movies.  Pretty funny... pretty good music.   ;D

What have you been listening to lately?

@Grindspine  @CreepinDeth What about you?

CreepinDeth

I've been listening to Metallica's ...And Justice For All album since it was recently re-released.

Mainly just been sticking to the classic's lately like Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest & Ozzy. I haven't been able to get into a lot of the metal bands that have come out in the last decade but I'll have to check them out a bit more. Need to broaden my horizons.

targetrasp

Slipknot and Five Finger Death Punch are probably the most successful metal bands in the last two decades, make a great starting point.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: CreepinDeth on November 27, 2018, 05:39:18 PM
I've been listening to Metallica's ...And Justice For All album since it was recently re-released.

Mainly just been sticking to the classic's lately like Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest & Ozzy. I haven't been able to get into a lot of the metal bands that have come out in the last decade but I'll have to check them out a bit more. Need to broaden my horizons.
man... I love Shortest Straw... that's still one of my favorite songs. I have not heard the re-release.... I take it was remastered as well?

There are a lot of newer bands to try.  Trivium is a great one to get into if you like Metallica - they are definitely heavier though and rotate between clean singing and growling.  Shogun, In waves, Vengence Falls, and Ascendancy are perfect places to start.  I like their tempo.

Unearth is a band @Grindspine introduced me to a few years ago.  III: In the eyes of Fire, Darkness in the Light, The March, and the Oncoming storm are great places to start.  Watchers of rule is ok.  It's growly... but I like it... and it's another where I like the tempo.

CreepinDeth

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on November 27, 2018, 09:57:25 PM
man... I love Shortest Straw... that's still one of my favorite songs. I have not heard the re-release.... I take it was remastered as well?

Shortest Straw is seriously underrated. Love that song myself. It has been remastered already so I'm not sure if this is a new remaster or just the same remaster they've already done. The rerelease comes in box set or stand alone. I already have the Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets box sets. Just need this one and Kill 'Em All.

BLUEVOODU

I went out and listened to the remastered version of Shortest Straw.  It sounded good... but the bass was distracting.  Maybe it wasn't the right version?   

I did however come across this pretty awesome live concert from 2018 :

Man... still sounds great.  The solo sounds messed a bit... but he seems to get back into it in the middle and then at the end.  Their tone is pretty good live too.  Metallica has always had a decent live tone.

targetrasp

There's nothing worse than shelling out large amounts of cash to go see an awesome band just to find out they completely suck live. Metallica is not one of those bands... they're a great live show that has your ears ringing the next day.

Mastadon however is crap live. People argue with me that it was probably just the venue but I've seen everything from Outkast to Saliva in the same venue and they were all fine.

CreepinDeth

That's why I love the Metallica box sets. They contain rare, live shows from their vault. They sound so good!

Not sure if I've seen a metal show that had bad sound, which is pretty good. But then again I haven't seen many metal shows. I've seen Tool, Metallica, Opeth, Dream Theater, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, etc. That's about it.

targetrasp

Age and consumption plays into a lot of it too. I've been to several concerts where you could tell the front man was really winded (looking at you Axl Rose...) and you either hear them breathing really hard or off tempo..

Metal wise I've not seen much either. I tend to stay away from hardcore punk and metal concerts as the patrons are pretty nuts. I'm fine going to a hard rock show where everyone is buzzed, thrashing around, crowd surfing, generally having a good time but a metal mosh pit is on a whole other level.

BLUEVOODU

@Grindspine and I went to Fear Factory here in town.  They were awesome.   Back in 1997, we went to Anthrax / Pantera.  We also attended Biohazard / Pantera / Neurosis concert.  BY FAR... Anthrax was one of my favorite bands to see live... so was Biohazard.   Grindspine mentioned that Biohazard needs to be on their own because they were so good... and the concert was very active (mosh pits and what not).  Megadeth was pretty awesome... as was Static X.    They came together back in 1999... that was a great concert as well.

Pantera... I never was really fond of their live sound.  At least the 2-3 times I saw them was a little lack luster.  They were good live... just not the best sound.

Princess Peach

I have also been into Megadeath, Metallica, and some Amaranthe. I also dapple in more modern versions of metal such as Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, and even Three Days Grace. This one could arguably be considered hard rock though because they're not as 'intense' as, say, Korn.

Grindspine

Gee, I have seen Pantera, Type O Negative, Anthrax, Biohazard, Killswitch Engage, Evergreen Terrace, Death, Morbid Angel, Neurosis, Megadeth, Coal Chamber, Korn, Rammstein, Tool, Ozzy, White Zombie, Chevelle, Soulfly, Limp Bizkit, Prong, Fear Factory, Death, System of a Down, Evanescence, Nine Inch Nails, Cold, Incubus, Lacuna Coil, Machine Head and more indie bands than I can remember.

targetrasp

@Grindspine was Amy Lee's vocals crappy? She's insanely talented but I've heard that she relies heavily on auto tune for decent vocals...

Grindspine

Back in 2002 they sounded really good.  Auto tune was not used live often then either.  Even the guitars were solid even though they were running through Line 6 Vetta heads.  They were dialed in that night!

BLUEVOODU

@Grindspine that Fear Factory concert was really cool... can't believe that was already 6 years ago....

BLUEVOODU

I've always liked Through the Never as well:

This is definitely a fun song to play.  All those Hetfield down strums.  Forearms of steel... lol.  This looks like it was a pretty good concert.  I haven't been a big metallica fan since load because they just dove into stuff that I wasn't as interested in... but they still rock out the old stuff well.

BLUEVOODU

This wasn't a super favorite... but The music around the Solo... and then the bass followed by main riff coming out of the solo... pretty awesome...

Holier than thou.

CreepinDeth

The only two songs from the Black album that I actually enjoy are The God That Failed and My Friend of Misery. If the album was more like that, it would probably be one of my favorites.

Been on a Judas Priest kick lately and have been listening to Painkiller a lot and also The Hellion/Electric Eye.

BLUEVOODU

those 2 songs are awesome.  I still really dig holier than thou and through the never.  Sad but true was pretty good... but most was over played.   Those 5 songs there are awesome.   Edit... and Wherever I may Roam... I like that one too.

Have you listened to the newer Judas Priest @CreepinDeth ?

CreepinDeth

@BLUEVOODU - I have not heard any new Judas Priest. I need to check it out.

BLUEVOODU

Man... been on a Holier Than Thou Kick... I don't know why.  It's hitting the spot right now.

What Has everyone been listening to?

CreepinDeth

Dream Theater came out with an album recently, Distance Over Time. It's a really solid album in my opinion. It's more metal and not as prog-gy. It's also one of their shorter albums so it's an easier listen. Here is their first single -

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth man... I dig the sound.  That's pretty cool.  I've been a big fan of Dream Theatre for a long time.  Peruvian Skies MIGHT be my favorite song by them... one of the best endings to a song ever.   The beginning is cool ... but when it kicks up, it's awesome.

I will have to check the rest of this album.

CreepinDeth

Peruvian Skies is pretty good. Metropolis Pt. 1 and Panic Attack are tied for my favorite. Metropolis for being a prog masterpiece and Panic Attack for being such a great metal song. I recommend those two for sure for anyone trying to get into Dream Theater.

CreepinDeth

Here is their second single from the same DoT album. I forgot to mention that I'll be seeing them this Sunday. It's the 20th anniversary of Scenes From A Memory and will be playing that whole album. I'm super stoked!