Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection

Started by targetrasp, November 18, 2018, 10:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

targetrasp

Yesterday I impulse bought SNK 40th Anniversary Collection. I knew it was likely disappointing, but got it anyway.

The box cleverly hides what's included. The only identifiable character on the cover was the ship from Alpha Mission, the rest I couldn't make any sense out of. On the back all that is mention is Ikari Warriors and Crystalis a la "Enjoy some of SNK's finest classics in 1080p, from Crystalis to Ikari Warriors." Fans with a memory much better than mine can pick out most of the games from the box art and in game shots on the back but most gamers wouldn't be able to identify much, if any.

Included are Alpha Mission, Athena, Crystalis, Guerrilla War, Ikari Warriors, Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road, Ikari III: The Rescue, Iron Tank, P.O.W., Prehistoric Isle, Psycho Soldier, Street Smart, TNKIII, and Vanguard with claims that Chopper Fantasy, Munch Mobile, Sasuke vs Commander, Time Soldiers, Bermuda Triangle, Paddle Mania, Ozma Wars, Beast Busters, Search & Rescue, and World Wars will be added mid December.

Adding another lot of games will help to ease the sting of paying $40 for a 14 game compilation, but most of the add ons i've not heard of. This contents of this game seem to be SNKs B ranked arcade and NES / Famicon game list. I'm sure theres some mix of liscensing costs and stepping on other recently released nostalgia based products but it makes for a dissapointing collection.

The upside is the rewind feature. The arcade ports make staying alive for long periods of time difficult. Even in early stages, games like POW can suck all your lives away in one section. Being able to rewind and rework is Game Genie level cheating BUT rewarding. It feels a little like getting payback for all those lost quarters so many years ago.

Unless I get sucked into Crystalis I wont play this for long. Crystalis was the tipping point in my decision to purchase. I dig the Zelda-esque adventure rpg games and don't remember playing Crystalis when it came out, and I really didn't miss a lot of NES stuff. I'm saving that after I get my fill of the other games in hopes of stretching out the experience a bit.

retro junkie

I would be hard pressed to want that for $40. But then again they did not fully disclose the titles. Many of the games, which draws my interest, that you list, I all ready have on NES carts. You would think that they could have filled that with 40 games for the 40th year anniversary.  I don't like when they hide the contents. They could have did a remix with modern graphics for HDMI game play. That would have been cool.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

they all are 1080p and have been adapted to work with the pro controller. Guerilla Warfare is now a twin stick shooter... there's some good points, but it can't be a mistake that they didn't plaster the box with the games, it's just not a big selling point... kinda like the playstation classic... another topic, another rant

BLUEVOODU

You know... I saw this one and passed it up.  I had a feeling this is exactly what it was.  Though I really used to like these games:
Guerrilla War, Ikari Warriors, Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road, Ikari III: The Rescue 
* these games almost sold me on the package.

Holy Crap.. Beast Busters... I swear I played that in the Arcade FOREVER ago.  Could be a faded or incorrect memory... but I swear I played it lol and it only captured a few quarters from me.

With that said... are the games I listed above worth it?  And don't forget to update us on Crystalis  lol... Never heard of it... probably should've heard of it being SNK.

targetrasp

It's an early arpg a little like Zelda, but not nearly as good, maybe more battle of Olympus - faded memories here too...

I need to pick this title back up, it'd probably sat since I posted last. I will say the Ikari games haven't aged well at all.