Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Hybrid HDD or SSD drives?

Started by retro junkie, May 31, 2019, 09:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

Has anyone tried either type of HD? If so what are pros, cons? I may be behind when it comes to this type of tech. I am mostly a document, paint program, net suffer type of user. Old hardware has been my main rigs and laptops.
there is no spoon

Grindspine

SSDs are more expensive than traditional HDDs.  With no platter, they are faster, with both lower seek time and high transfer rate.  They are also more shock resistant.  On top of those advantages, an SSD runs cooler with lower power draw than traditional platter drives.

A hybrid drive is adding a small SSD as a cache for an HDD.  This will quickly dump information, for a slightly faster feel, but still lag behind a full SSD in overall performance.  This is similar to what some Windows platforms did with using a flash drive to speed up hard drive performance.  A hybrid drive has a snappier feel on some applications while being less expensive than a full SSD.

Since SSD drives are lower in price and higher in reliability than they were five years ago, I recommend skipping the hybrid and going straight for SSD.

retro junkie

Are SSD drives limited on times you can write to? Or is that something that is so high that it would take years to reach the limit?
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Honestly, with SSD... you won't see it.  Even on cheaper SSDs.  Understand, if you write many files to SSDs, your transfer rate can be slowed.
  AS far as the number of times you can right... not that I'm aware of.  Every drive has a finite life span.   

Just remember... you cannot defrag an SSD like an HD.  There's technology that does it on the fly these days.  Also, the lower priced drives don't operate as well as the higher performance drives.  It will still be a performance increase than more HDD's.