Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

The Linux Topic

Started by BLUEVOODU, October 31, 2018, 05:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CreepinDeth

Greetings from Zorin OS!

I finally got my spare PC going and installed Zorin on it. Enjoying it so far. Feels much cleaner and minimalistic than Windows. Haven't done much yet. Just getting it all setup with software that I might need.  ;D

CreepinDeth

So I had to switch from Zorin OS over to Pop_OS. Turns out Zorin 15.3 is based on Ubuntu 18.04, and since I also plan to game on this machine, makes it too old for my needs. It's actually a nice OS and if you don't plan to game it's solid.

Switched over to Pop_OS since they are still supporting 32bit libraries that are required for Steam and automatically installs the latest Nvidia drivers for you if you happen to have one of their graphics cards. So far, so good. It uses Gnome so it has a lot of the aesthetic features of Zorin. I'm enjoying it so far.

retro junkie

Zorin is a solid OS. My Daughter still uses it. I had to look up POP. I have not heard of it. But of course I have been out of the Linux scene for a while. Looks good.
there is no spoon

CreepinDeth

Pop!_OS is a relatively new distro. It's only been around for like 3 years I think? System 76 (the developers of Pop!_OS) also make hardware that is tailored with their distro. It's actually really nice hardware.

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth  - Interesting... I have not heard of this one.  So this is more on the bleeding edge that has more up-to-date drivers that you need?  If I am understanding this right... it would be more on the Fedora side of the Red Hat equation?

I will check this one out.   

CreepinDeth

@BLUEVOODU - I don't believe it's that bleeding edge. System76 still does a lot of testing before they release updates (and sometimes hold them back a few days, if necessary) but because they also cater to gamers, they try to make getting drivers and other libraries easier and automatic.

They are Steam/WINE/Lutris friendly.

CreepinDeth

So now I might jump back to Zorin OS. Version 16 has just been released and the developers are claiming it's now much more gaming friendly. It honestly looks pretty good.

I was already thinking about dual booting Zorin and Pop!_OS. Pop for gaming and Zorin for daily driver. Might not have to anymore.

Zorin OS 16

retro junkie

@CreepinDeth is there a difference that you are noticing between using Windows and linux for gaming?
there is no spoon

CreepinDeth

Quote from: retro junkie on August 19, 2021, 08:26:04 AM
@CreepinDeth is there a difference that you are noticing between using Windows and linux for gaming?

There are a ton of differences that mainly involve the OS and how you go about playing games that don't have official Linux ports. However, once they run, there's not much differences. I'll try to outline a few.

Official Linux Ports
The only official ports that I've tried so far are the latest Tomb Raider trilogy games (Tomb Raider (2013), Rise of the Tomb Raider & Shadow of the Tomb Raider.)

They run pretty well and don't need much tweaking. However, I learned about CPU Governors trying these out as I got a message from the game saying that my CPU is not set for Performance which could cause issues. So I installed CPUFreq and I can switch it on the fly from the desktop.

Overall though, it's as simple as installing Steam and then installing the game. It's good to go just like on Windows.

Windows version on Linux
Steam has come a long way to have Windows versions run on Linux. You do have to set in the preferences that you want to use Steam-Play and select the version of Proton you want to use and you're usually good to go. Proton is a WINE compatibility layer that has been modified by Valve to help games run on Linux. There is also Lutris which helps you play games that are not acquired through Steam but I haven't tried that yet.

I've played Doom (2016) and even the original DOS Tomb Raider from 1996 and both ran with no fuss. I have yet to try out more but, so far, it's been fairly painless.

I did try Batman Arkham Asylum but that one requires some tweaks to Proton to run. Don't feel like doing that right now though.

There is currently a site called Proton DB which is a database that lets you know which games work with Proton and those that still need work from Valve to become playable. Valve is looking to have 100% compatibility by the time the Steam Deck releases.

If I can think of anymore, I'll post them.

CreepinDeth

Linus over at Linus Tech Tips started a challenge to make Linux their daily driver for a month. Part 1 is out.