Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

GBA Run and Gun Gaming!!!

Started by retro junkie, February 17, 2018, 02:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

I consider the Gameboy Advanced SP, with the bright screen, the pentacle of Nintendo's achievement in portable gaming design. Even though they have introduced other, more advanced, portables over the years, I still feel this way about this system. It fits so well in your pocket and still offers plenty of gaming that has aged well.

Gunstar Heroes was a pleasant surprise back in the golden era of the Sega Genesis. It appeared in the latter half of the system's lifespan. With me, it became an instant classic and has stood well the test of time. And it only made sense to bring this to portable gaming with a release of a sequel in Gunstar Future Heroes for the GBA. Excellent, story, hand to hand combat, run and gun gaming that brings joy to any lover of the genre. If you do any retro gaming and love the GBA SP you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy. Especially if you love the genre. But if this only wets your appetite for this type of gaming and want more, I got something for you. These are my recommendations if you love this type of gaming.

Alien Hominid: Only released in Europe, as far as I know. I managed to get me a copy. And wow, this is my game. Unrelenting humorous pure run and gun action, agents pouring in from everywhere, love this game so much. A totally must own. The one game I run to when I want to just shoot.

Metal Slug Advance: This is Metal Slug. If you have not played a Metal Slug game then may I ask, where have you been living? Fun, humorous, Contra like, pure run and gun continuous action. If you liked Alien Hominid then you will love this one too. There is just some magic in the way the Metal Slug games are designed.

Astro Boy: The Treasure touch is strong with this one. I remember being blown away by this game back then. (But then I am an Astro fan.) This is run and gun Astro style in a Gunstar sort of way. It begins with a good training mode, which is needed to know how to use Astro. Even though you can see, and feel, signs of Gunstar, there is enough here to differentiate and take it to a whole new level. You have a good story to follow and the ability to choose how to level up your character. The leveling of your character, and multiple weapons, moves, is what stands out to me. So I really don't feel that it is more of the same, even though it is more of the same, in a way. You will have to play to understand. But this is still Treasure at their best.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Great post, Retro - I love my old GBA SP.    Goldensun, Lord of the Rings, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion, many more.... and my personal favorite - Advance Wars.   I gamed a lot on this.   Such an impressive device with battery as well.  Why?  I broke this system out.. it hasn't been charged in a minimum of 6-7 years.   I was still able to play it.

What do you mean bright screen? You mean backlit?

Gunstar heroes... I never tried this game.  I would like to try it.

Alien Hominid - ah man.... completely forgot about this game!   I Think I bought the Gamecube version, but I would need to verify to be sure.

targetrasp

I still play advance wars from time to time

BLUEVOODU

same Here.... Grindspine and I used the GBA connect cable to multiplayer it a couple times.

I cannot find my copy of Alien Hominid!   That's a little frustrating lol

retro junkie

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on February 25, 2018, 11:05:18 PM
Great post, Retro - I love my old GBA SP.    Goldensun, Lord of the Rings, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion, many more.... and my personal favorite - Advance Wars.   I gamed a lot on this.   Such an impressive device with battery as well.  Why?  I broke this system out.. it hasn't been charged in a minimum of 6-7 years.   I was still able to play it.

What do you mean bright screen? You mean backlit?

Gunstar heroes... I never tried this game.  I would like to try it.

Alien Hominid - ah man.... completely forgot about this game!   I Think I bought the Gamecube version, but I would need to verify to be sure.

What I mean by bright screen is the back-lit version. I remember it being referred to, or nicknamed, as that back then. And the Hominid for gba is ever bit as fun as the GameCube version.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

OK - I get it now.  I think I have the "Cobalt Blue Game Boy Advance SP."  I don't think mine had the "brighter screen."  It's still pretty nice though

retro junkie

The undeniable difference between the original frontlit screen and the brighter backlit.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

I've yet to understand how I ever was able to play the original GBA after exposure to the newer iterations and handhelds.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: retro junkie on March 06, 2018, 09:07:30 PM
The undeniable difference between the original frontlit screen and the brighter backlit.

I think my Cobalt version is the same as yours on the left.  I agree with Target... the original GBA without backlight was pretty hard to see.   For example, the Neo Geo Pocket Color without backlight had pretty reflective crystals... the GBA did not - at least the one I had.

The Dimmer Game Boy Advance SP was still fun to play.  I had many nights of playing Advance Wars on that... as well as several Metroid games.

Once the DS game came out (with backward GBA compatibility)... I was using that all the time as my Game Boy Advance and DS player.

retro junkie

The SP brighter wasn't really on the shelf that long, the DS pushed it off. That backwards compatibility and a new machine, it was an easy kill. It was just available long enough for me to pick up one in my locality. The games hung around a little longer due to the compatibility. I was glad to get one at the time.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

yeah... I remember that too.

I was pretty pumped for the Nintendo DS to come out.  Many were skeptical that the dual screens was a gimmick.  It turned out to be very handy.  So many good games too.