Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

SNES Classic

Started by targetrasp, February 18, 2018, 10:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

targetrasp

I actually found one of these around 12:30 pm in a crowded Best Buy while I was looking for a car charger for the Switch. I think half that store heard my WOO HOO!

There's a million more games I'd like to see on it but it really does have a strong sample of the best of the best released for the SNES. 

My 7 year old son and I played Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World for a while today. Since his introduction to video gaming was wii / 360 / ps3 era, I was worried he'd have no appreciation for games that are a quarter of a century older than him. He wants to play more tomorrow!

I also found information saying the NES Classic will be put back into production soon. I really hope this comes to fruition as I refuse to pay scalper prices and I've yet to get one.

CreepinDeth

Bought one randomly when I saw it at my local Target a while back. Still sealed, not because I think it'll be worth something in the future but because I just prefer not to open it. Plus PC emulation is ahead of Nintendo's own emulation software so I rather play these games there.

Kinikko

One of those things that I wish I could just randomly find in a store one day lol.  I want one but don't really have any money at the moment to spend on something like that when I can just emulate it on PC for free.
moo.

BLUEVOODU

Yeah...  I totally understand that.  I do.

The SNES Classic is a cool concept.   It's cool when they revisit the classics and breathe new life into them.  Hopefully we see more of it.

targetrasp

Nintendo definitely didn't start the trend, but they seem to be the only one that's done it well. The atgames sega was junk and the Atari flashbacks didn't seem to sell. NEO GEO even did a nice looking one but it faded fast.

BV, you bought the neo geo rehash and it seemed instantly was talking about selling it. Why can't anyone else get this right?

CreepinDeth

Even Nintendo doesn't really get it right. Controllers have short cords, the aspect ratio and colors can be off, short supply, etc.

The thing that helps Nintendo the most is nostalgia, presentation and their strong 1st party games. A lot of the other companies that have tried don't own as many properties, so they get the games that don't have high royalties. Also, emulation software isn't as strong because they're not as popular. Besides that, most of these retro knockoffs are pretty much the same as the NES/SNES Classic.

targetrasp

even with the short cords, short supply, and other quirks both of Nintendo's offering have been a commercial success. Scalpers still get 3times msrp on the nes classic even with Nintendo saying they'll start making more again soon...

CreepinDeth

Yep, I would chalk that up to nostalgia. A lot of the games don't hold up well in my opinion but the novelty is strong. Most wouldn't care to get a full CRT set up to play these games or know where to start with PC emulation.

targetrasp

While Nintendo games seem to hold up better than most, you're right. Star Fox and FZero were favorites and I've only been able to play them in small doses. Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, and Super Mario World can still command hours of my time easily, but that's not been the case with most pre ps2 era games.

I even went so far as to build a retro pie with a raspberry pi. I spent more time finding and downloading than I did playing. It's in a drawer somewhere probably never to be heard from again.

Grindspine

I replayed Zelda III: A Link to the Past, but have not spent much time with it since beating that game.

Jack

I managed to pick one up at release and I personally love it. I hop on it every now and again when I get the itch to play some classic games. I always find myself wanting to play through A Link to the Past every few months or so.

targetrasp

so much has come out lately I've not powered mine on since February.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: targetrasp on May 03, 2018, 11:18:29 PM
so much has come out lately I've not powered mine on since February.
That right there...  that's problem #1 lol.  Too many games come out these days.  Unlike movies... it's impossible to catch up unless all your time goes to games.

targetrasp

Gamestop.com has these things available right now. I bought another one just to save.

The shipping is free but they're gouging by charging 11.99 handling

BLUEVOODU

So has anyone else still been enjoying these?  Or are have they made it to the played it and forgot about it pile?

I wonder if they'll release Star Fox 2 for anything else... such as Virtual Console.  I searched that and don't see anything so far.   I'm hoping they do as I want to play it.  Speaking of that... I Think we need a Star Fox 2 topic  ;D

Grindspine

I played some Yoshi's Island this week.  Touch fuzzy, get dizzy!

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: Grindspine on October 20, 2018, 01:13:33 AM
I played some Yoshi's Island this week.  Touch fuzzy, get dizzy!

LOL @Grindspine Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy - That's the best level title ever.  Yoshi's Island is a very well done game.  Good choice.

CreepinDeth

Mine is still sealed in the box. I don't plan on opening it anytime soon.

targetrasp

I don't see these in the Best Buy, Walmart, Target type of stores anymore but my local Gamestop has half a dozen or so sitting on the shelf with a few used ones floating around as well. Even with the rerelease the NES Classic still seems harder to find.