Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Playstation 4 - Is it your main console?

Started by BLUEVOODU, February 19, 2018, 05:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

Post it up... is the Playstation 4 your main console?

What are your likes and dislikes about the console?

Kinikko

Considering there's 3 of them in this house (1 regular, 1 white pro, and 1 MHW Rathalos edition pro), I would have to say yes.  XD

I use it for all kinds of things.  Watching netflix, youtube, playing, and streaming games.  It's all so easy to do. 

Last time I was on the Xbox One, I couldn't even figure out how to switch accounts it's so un-intuitive and looks so incredibly ugly. 
moo.

targetrasp

2 PS4's 2 PSN accounts here. it gets far more play than any of the other consoles. Since purchasing a VR headset, Steam still gets the most play in the house.

BLUEVOODU

lol. 3 and 2 consoles respectively.   Nice!

Ah man... so that means you pay double PSN?  Ouch.  I haven't gone that far yet - I just make the kids play on sub accounts.  Though that sucks because when upgrading the hard drive recently... they lose all trophies.

targetrasp

allowance goes towards psn... plus its better than a phone bill

CreepinDeth

It's my only current gen console. I haven't actually played much on it and PS+ turns me off. Don't feel like paying for multiplayer anymore and the free games aren't really free like they are on Xbox. But I don't own an XB1, so I guess it is, lol.

BLUEVOODU

They aren't free like on Xbox?  What do you mean?

I'm definitely not ok with Paying for online... but it doesn't seem like we have much of a choice anymore.  So far, the Playstation 4 has been a pretty good console.  It started off a bit slow but is now gaining steam in the titles offered.

CreepinDeth

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on March 03, 2018, 09:14:53 PM

Nope, there are strings attached.

• They are free as long as you're still subscribed to PS+. If you stop subscribing you no longer have access to them.
  • If you no longer are subscribed to PS+ and decide you want to buy the game that you already received for "free" you're out of luck. You can no longer buy it because it will show up as purchased already

BLUEVOODU

AH... yeah.. I see what you are saying.  So Microsoft has none of these issues?

I've never had these issues because I kept PS Plus current.  I just don't like the pay for play scheme.  It is cool we get games... but I don't feel the free games offered have been as good or top notch as of late.

CreepinDeth

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on March 05, 2018, 10:51:54 PM
AH... yeah.. I see what you are saying.  So Microsoft has none of these issues?

Nope. They're yours as long as you claim them while they're free. I still have all of my games that I got while I still had Xbox Live.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: CreepinDeth on March 05, 2018, 11:59:26 PM
Nope. They're yours as long as you claim them while they're free. I still have all of my games that I got while I still had Xbox Live.

They must've done that to 1-up Sony lol.... since Microsoft didn't have that feature right away but did it to compete with Sony.  Either way... It's cool they let you claim / keep them.   That is a pretty good 1-up

Mai Valentine

This may be surprising but yeah the PS4 turned into my main console, although currently I don't have PSN+ because I don't really play games online. My favorite games so far have both been single player: Horizon Zero Dawn and World of Final Fantasy.

At some point though I really need to renew my PSN+ so I can play ESO with my wife and Overwatch with a few people I know that play it on PS4.

BLUEVOODU

ESO?  I know I need to know this lol....

Yeah - surprisingly ... PS4 became my favorite as well!  PS3 was a very good console.  It didn't start well... but it sure did very well and I enjoyed the system very much.   PS4... been enjoying it about the same.   The system menus are slick and fluid.   I wish the PS4 menu was a little more like the PS3 menu where it was inline and vertical... I guess it still is, but the simplicity of the text on the PS3 was nice.

Aya-Kun

On the last generation my xb360 used to be my main console as all my friends where on it with my ps3 only being mainly for exclusives but then when the ps4 and xb1 came out I went with the PS4 and have no regrets didn't even get an xb1 may do at some point as there are a couple of exclusives I'd like to play but not enough to warrant buying one release.

Glad I made that choice as it turns out an old friend of mine bought a ps4 and I joined his group and now play with a lovely group of people that we meet up once a year in London

Mai Valentine

ESO = Elder Scrolls Online. It's a free to play MMO once you purchase the game.

It feels like an Elder Scrolls game, but the way inventory is handled is awful (because they want you to pay for more space).

BLUEVOODU

Ah.. yeah... Elder Scrolls.  Someone here worked on that game if I'm remembering correctly :)

I never was overly fond of the Elder Scrolls games.  I believe it was Elder Scrolls 3 I received for free with a graphics card purchase many years ago.   I think it had all of 30 min of play.

ThravRande

I'm definitely not ok with Paying for online... but it doesn't seem like we have much of a choice anymore.  So far, the Playstation 4 has been a pretty good console.  It started off a bit slow but is now gaining steam in the titles offered.
I didn't like having to pay for online at first, but since using it I don't mind anymore. I've got several $40 games out of the monthly free games and in general the service is better. I remember when I bought my PS3 psn went down the day after I bought it and was down for a month. My only game at the time was Black Ops. I played through the story so many times that month 😂. But I can't think of a time my psn has been down on ps4 for more than a couple hours max.
Quote from: CreepinDeth on March 05, 2018, 09:54:19 PM

Nope, there are strings attached.

• They are free as long as you're still subscribed to PS+. If you stop subscribing you no longer have access to them.
  • If you no longer are subscribed to PS+ and decide you want to buy the game that you already received for "free" you're out of luck. You can no longer buy it because it will show up as purchased already
I'm pretty sure there's a couple work around for this, I know if you have a game "purchased" in your library, you can still install it from a disc separately than the digital version. I think there's a way to make the digital games purchasable again, but I can't remember how it's done.

I have 2 PS4s, one of the first Destiny edition white ps4s and a black ps4 Pro. I also have the PSVR which has become a huge part of my PlayStation gaming experience. (Once I got over the nauseousness)I don't think I've turned on my xbone in 7 or 8 months 😂

BLUEVOODU

Well... when PSN was hacked... it was down for a day or two.  I want to pick up a PS4 pro and 4K TV at some point... I've heard good things about the PS4's 4K capabilities.

I definitely am still not a fan of paid online... but have grown accustomed to it.  It's more of a "can't fight it" thing.

targetrasp

i'm so irked they still didn't put a 4k blu ray player in the ps4 pro...

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: targetrasp on March 18, 2018, 10:27:47 PM
i'm so irked they still didn't put a 4k blu ray player in the ps4 pro...

I am as well.  They need to do that to compete with the Xbox One S... if I'm correct, that has the UHD player in it as well.

Not sure what Sony was thinking of this one... they've been the ones to push technology in the last decade.  They certainly dropped the ball a bit on this one.

targetrasp

That's just it... Sony started BluRay and all of a sudden they believe that people were only buying digital......

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: targetrasp on March 18, 2018, 11:04:32 PM
That's just it... Sony started BluRay and all of a sudden they believe that people were only buying digital......
I Think this is one area that will not totally go digital.  And I certainly hope it doesn't.

IF it goes digital or not... they still should've provided the proper player.... IF they are going to state they full on support 4K.

CreepinDeth

Quote from: ThravRande on March 16, 2018, 08:30:04 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a couple work around for this, I know if you have a game "purchased" in your library, you can still install it from a disc separately than the digital version. I think there's a way to make the digital games purchasable again, but I can't remember how it's done.

You shouldn't have to do workarounds though. Also, not all game saves are compatible between digital and disc. So if you buy the disc version and want to continue where you left off, you could be starting completely over if it's a game that isn't compatible. That's another thing that irks me about the PS4. For Xbox One, it's all automatic for every game. On PS4, the developer has to manually set that.

BLUEVOODU

Man.... I found that out and was very annoyed. How did I find this out you ask?  Well... like this.

I love Shadow of Mordor on Playstation 4.  I didn't have the goty version or all the DLC... and I wanted to buy it. I couldn't seem buy it for my version. So I tried to buy the GOTY version that was on super fire sale.   I figured... it was hoping  it would download and combine.  Nope.   So I now have 2 versions ... didn't do the achievements and hadn't touched it because I didn't have the disk space at the time and didn't want to start over.

Now that's   first world problems. Lol

Jack

Although I have an Xbone as well, the PS4 is definitely my go to system. The exclusives are much better and there's just more available on PS4.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: Jack on May 03, 2018, 07:26:43 PM
Although I have an Xbone as well, the PS4 is definitely my go to system. The exclusives are much better and there's just more available on PS4.
@Jack I know this is a full reversal from what I used to do... but PS3 and PS4 are my main systems.  I used to never buy Sony but the PS3 format was so good it swayed.  Least favorite is Xbox still... 360 menus were so sluggish IMO.

I also play on the Switch and a few other handhelds.

Strubes

Yessir. Over 800 games and counting. The PS+ games this current and past month more than paid for PS+ for the whole year. Sony's really getting it together when it comes to the games they're given out for free now.

BLUEVOODU

@Strubes I need to start downloading the PS+ titles again.  I just haven't kept up on it.  I think the last couple rounds I haven't been interested in the games... or I just didn't look.

Over 800 games and counting.... that's insane lol

Strubes

There's the option to add PS+ games to your library so you can still download them later without worrying about space right away!

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: Strubes on May 22, 2018, 10:38:25 PM
There's the option to add PS+ games to your library so you can still download them later without worrying about space right away!
]
@Strubes Where is that option?