Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Sega Genesis mini: it is happening!

Started by Grindspine, March 30, 2019, 02:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grindspine

http://genesismini.sega.com/

This is going to be done right, by Sega.  Forty games to start, including Ecco the Dolphin, Sonic, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Altered Beast, and Toejam & Earl!

I have seen that the other Genesis retro systems have not done so well, nor did the Sony Playstation classic.  Since this one features games that have not been released elsewhere (Castlevania: Bloodlines) I think that it may do far better!

retro junkie

Nice line up of games so far. I hope they include virtua racing. And of course they need some shootem ups in there somewhere.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Hm... good topic!    So they're including Castlevania: Bloodlines... I thought that was originally released on the Genesis.  Or do you mean it's not been re-released on any other platform?

We need General Chaos in this bundle!!   AND Rambo iii.   For whatever reason, I really enjoyed Rambo iii on the Genesis.

retro junkie

there is no spoon

Grindspine

Quote from: retro junkie on March 30, 2019, 11:43:37 PM
Bloodlines was a Genesis exclusive.

Yeah, this! ^

I know what a certain Castlevania fan is getting for her birthday!

retro junkie

I might just have to pick one of these minis up. The Genesis was unique in its gaming content. There was a lot games that just was not found anywhere else, and some stuff, it just did it better. The arcade feel was so strong with this system and the big reason I got my Gen 1 back then. That was Sega's strong point and a key to their success with the Genesis, its arcade library.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

No... I understand that @retro junkie ... I meant,  does that mean it wasn't released on any other platform...  ie steam or remastered?  I thought it was released on something else...  but guess I'm wrong on that. 

Lol @Grindspine ... that sounds like a gift to yourself as well  ;D

retro junkie

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on March 31, 2019, 06:05:53 PM

No... I understand that @retro junkie ... I meant,  does that mean it wasn't released on any other platform...  ie steam or remastered?  I thought it was released on something else...  but guess I'm wrong on that. 

Sadly, no. It was only released on the Genesis, and to my knowledge, this will be the first time since, that it will be available again.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Very cool... I might have to pick one of these up.   Do they come with ... more time as well?  ;D

CreepinDeth

Quote from: retro junkie on March 31, 2019, 08:18:31 PM
Quote from: BLUEVOODU on March 31, 2019, 06:05:53 PM

Sadly, no. It was only released on the Genesis, and to my knowledge, this will be the first time since, that it will be available again.

It became available in the Castlevania Collection a couple of weeks ago:

Konami Reveals Castlevania Anniversary Collection

Also, the full lineup of games has been released. I put in my pre-order already. I also really hope that the SegaCD/32X accessory add-on gets released over here in the states and doesn't stay a Japan exclusive. It looks freaking cool!

Sega MegaDrive Tower

retro junkie

Great bunch of games! I was just looking hard at preorder myself and considering. Release in September. I am getting excited.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

mine is preordered. Now that I see the tower I may try and import a mega drive mini

BLUEVOODU

@targetrasp @CreepinDeth  @retro junkie ... I thought this was supposed to come out in May.  OR was that the Castlevania Anniversary Collection.  That might need it's own topic  ;D

SO... I looked for the Castlevania Anniversary collection.   I take it... this is online only and no physical version is being released?

targetrasp

yeah online only, at least at launch. I was bummed but bought it anyway. fun stuff that scratches a nostalgia itch. Contra is out too but it didn't age as well for me.

retro junkie

I so wanted this Sega Mini but I can't have it and the Turbo Mini. The Turbo has my meager funds right now.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

If you guys are interested in the pre-order,  I setup a link in the pre-order topic. Shameless plug. Full list if games there as well.

https://www.chickendinnergaming.com/forum/index.php?topic=618.0

CreepinDeth

Reviews are starting to come out. I'm getting hyped!!

Also, my Amazon pre-order says to expect it Monday, 9/23. Anybody else pre-order from there with the same delivery date? It's releasing on the 19th.

targetrasp

what an awesome end to the week, sega today Zelda tomorrow

retro junkie

I am expecting a review of this console. I didn't order one.  ;)

CHANGE MY MIND
there is no spoon

CreepinDeth

Mine shipped today!!  :)

It'll be in tomorrow. Then it can proudly be displayed inside its box, unused like the rest of the minis.  :D

Grindspine

I just bought one for Renee for her birthday!

BLUEVOODU

Nice @Grindspine !   I bet she'll dig that lol.

Anyone have a review of this thing yet?

CreepinDeth

BLUEVOODU

Thank you @CreepinDeth I checked that out.    What about someone here that has played it  ;D thoughts from anyone?

retro junkie

That is  the review that I am looking for. Someone here that has it. I want their impressions.
there is no spoon

CreepinDeth

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on October 02, 2019, 07:54:16 PM
What about someone here that has played it  ;D thoughts from anyone?

Why would anyone play it? It's a collector's piece.  :P

I was somewhat tempted to open mine up but I just couldn't do it.

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth I don't know man..
I probably would've bought 2 if I was going to have or leave one unopened. It would be hard to not crack it open and play it lol.

I wish they had added Rambo 3. Then again. I haven't played it in a long time. It was a lot of fun back in the day.

So no one here has opened theirs and played it? @targetrasp

targetrasp

nope... it's sealed, kinda poor right now or i'd buy a second and tear into it. The japan version along with the tower of power is still sitting in my playasia cart too...  :(

retro junkie

Had a little money during Christmas Holidays. Best Buy had open box Sega mini for $40. Just what was I SUPPOSED to do? My pockets BURNING, I ended up with one these things. Very impressed. Love it. There are some games that I would have exchanged for some that were more to my liking. I would have wanted MUSHA, Bio Hazard, Sagaria, Lightning Force instead of a few games that did end up on SG Mini. But still a solid lineup now that I have it in my hands, and for $40. Less than a dollar a game with HDMI and scan lines if you want them. I do understand why certain games were chosen, but then again I feel they could have released this with 60 games, would have been sweeter. The Genesis has such a good library of great games.

EDIT: Doing a scan of ebay for going prices of the included games, plus a model one with two controllers, would put you over $1000. (That of course does not include Tetris and Darius.) Add to that a "Pound Tech HDMI" connector, $29. This would be a bargain for anyone who wants to get back into Sega Genesis gaming, but all the room they have is a drawer for storage.
there is no spoon

Grindspine

Quote from: retro junkie on October 02, 2019, 10:31:39 PM
That is  the review that I am looking for. Someone here that has it. I want their impressions.

I am glad that you got one, Retro!

Renee and I have played it a bit here and there, same with the NES Classic and SNES Classic.  It is nice that the three share the HDMI connector and the micro USB power.  All three are fun to have without feeling like a huge investment or like they are too bulky.

On one 46" Sanyo HDTV, I can have all three of those, my PS3, my Xbox 360, and my original Xbox simultaneously!

Also, Altered Beast is still awesome.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more