Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Hyperkins RetroN 1 HD= NES Gaming

Started by retro junkie, April 07, 2019, 10:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

Okay I bit the bullet. After such a positive experience with the Hyperkin Mega Retron I just had to pick up the NES console. And I am very pleased with my purchase. Been trying NES games all week.

Very small console. I already had the game carts. Both of these carts and the console equals great gaming in a very small package. And it is an added plus just to be able to power this from my TV's USB. What an awesome idea.

I had to try it. I tried Rad Racer 2 and this is the first clone console that I have had which will boot the game. Even though the graphics has its issues, I was still able to play the game. Road scrolled toward me and I was able to maneuver around the other vehicles.

I understand that it will play Castlevania 3 with no problems. I do not have that game..............................yet.  ;)
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie This looks really cool... the console design is very nice!  Good post, Retro!

So... is there something to the Castlevania 3 comment?  I mean... is there another device that it doesn't work on? Or is it just because of graphics issues of the Hyperkin itself?   I'm probably out of touch on some of this..

LOL.. Rad Racer 2... man... blast from the past.   We used to play Rad Racer ALL the time.   You could switch songs by hitting down.  ;D 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g50isAvVlns&list=PL0D98064E11A94D91&index=2

retro junkie

Castlevania 3 has been a troublesome game for clone systems. Only recently has there been a breakthrough. Most still cannot play the game. There are about 23 games in the NES library that clone systems will not boot, or play. Castlevania 3 has been on that list as is Rad Racer 2, and my Gauntlet. My Gauntlet game will boot, but the graphics are rearranged in the first board. You cannot finish that board because of that.

Clone systems have been backward engineered to mimic the original hardware. They are not perfect and they do not necessarily play the games perfectly . But I find it interesting just how close they are getting. These latest Hyperkin consoles are great for the budget minded gamer wanting their retro gaming on an HD TV. They offer the best option for those who can't afford the more expensive route. You just have to overlook that maybe some sound effects might be in a higher pitch, music a little off, graphics might be a different tint, or completely different colors. But the game still plays the same.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

I Wonder what they are doing different these days to get the systems closer to the original.   I get it... time and research has gone into it.   But what are they doing different that gets us closer to the original?   I haven't looked into this yet.

retro junkie

Not sure. Could it be the chips surrounding the NOAC on the PC board, don't know. I do know that everyone does have their particular twist when it comes to the NOAC that they use in their clone consoles. Some characteristics are inherited as it seems that everyone has built their take on the chip from the same root source tech. Hyperkin has been very successful with the Genesis on a chip being that it is playing Virtua Racing, a first as far as I know. It is evident that they are working on the NOAC to make it better. It seems that the NES is a very hard system to backward engineer. One of the characteristics of the NOAC is that there are 23 games in the NES library that it will not play. Been that way for any clone that was out there. Only recently are you starting to see compatibility with Castlevania 3. There are some clones that are better with the color pallet, Gamerz Tek clone NES has a better color pallet than the Hyperkin unit here. There have been a lot of improvements over the years. I still have my Generation NEX which it has trouble and issues with certain games, graphical glitchs for example.

Most hardcore purests hate the NOAC "as it is" due to the flaws in game playback, or compatibility. I find the gameplay intact even though there are the sound effects that may be off in pitch. And the grass may be brown in some games instead of green, like Jurassic Park. Instruments, notes, in some of the in-game music is very different than what they should play. I personally have an advantage, or it may be a dis-advantage, all according to way you look at it. I have never owned the original NES. So I do not really know how the games should look and  sound. Even though there are those issues I'm having fun and that is what matters to me. People out there, mostly casual gamers, are purchasing these things and having fun. I sometimes look at youtube just to see how far off a game it. Gives me an idea of the unit's compatibility.

edit: Oh no!! The money bags in Castlevania have a pink tint! We're all gonna die!!
there is no spoon

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more