Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Gaming Headsets... why must you suck?

Started by BLUEVOODU, April 29, 2019, 01:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

SO ... my Logitech G35 died.  Technically the plastic piece that has G35 on it broke... therefore, the headphone on the right side keeps falling off.  I'm thinking of a duct tape way to fix this.  Anyway,  It was a legit... great headset.  I bought it when it launched back in 2008/2009 (it was one of those years) directly from Logitech.   I'm picky on how things sound... and it hit every expectation for me.   It Blocked outside noise wonderfully... had GREAT Surround and non-surround audio.   It was USB, so it had it's own drivers on board.  So without software, this headset still sounded... awesome.   

SO... fast forward to today.  I bought a Razer Kraken Pro Tournament Edition  Green headset.   SUPER UNDERWHELMED.   I did my research and this was supposed to be a great headset.  But... what the hell?   Why in the world do gaming headsets these days suck so bad?  The Logitech, Corsair, Steel series, Razer...etc.... just don't compare to the G35 released many years ago.  I Thought we would progress... not regress.  I have not tried it with the software and USB THX nub thing... but I already know, it's not going to make a big enough difference.

At this point... I hate to return it because I know I'll pay a fee.  But I definitely will drop some money for a non-gaming headset at some point... and get something worthy of music and everything.   

Thoughts?  Comments?  Post it up!

CreepinDeth

Gaming headsets tend to suck because it's about the appearance and not necessarily the sound. Reason they're popular is because many aren't that educated about sound or aren't interested in learning what is good sound. So to most people almost anything will sound better than earbuds that are packed in with phones or media players.

To your question, if you're going with non-gaming headsets then Sennheiser headphones are pretty much the bar. There are better sets out there but they're going to cost you more.

mastermario

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on April 29, 2019, 01:22:19 PM
SO ... my Logitech G35 died.  Technically the plastic piece that has G35 on it broke... therefore, the headphone on the right side keeps falling off.  I'm thinking of a duct tape way to fix this. 

When I get home, I'll try to post a picture of my current Logitech headset situation.

retro junkie

SO ... my Logitech G35 died.  Technically the plastic piece that has G35 on it broke... therefore, the headphone on the right side keeps falling off.  I'm thinking of a duct tape way to fix this. 

there is no spoon

Grindspine

Sennheiser Game One, Sennheier Game Zero, or Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum would be my recommendations!

mastermario

Quote from: mastermario on April 29, 2019, 07:26:08 PM

When I get home, I'll try to post a picture of my current Logitech headset situation.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LFn9svbtjSJYYZmq9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YYXcWCLSK7nrSDvRA

BLUEVOODU

lol @mastermario   :))   Honestly... I'm doing that as well... not even kidding.   I bought good tape and am putting mine together.  I need to fashion a piece to help keep the headset pushed into place just right.

@Grindspine I hate to say it, I probably won't buy any more Logitech gear for awhile.  You know that's odd for me as well.. as I used to buy all Logitech stuff and lots of it.  However, I'm not fond of their new designs.   Your Sennheiser suggestion... definitely looking into that.   Though the last set of Sennheiser.. while wireless... were extraordinarily thin.  I might just check out a few at Sweetwater to see if I Can demo something.

@retro junkie lol... Red Green... yup.  That's exactly it.  Check out Mastermario's pics  ;D

mastermario

I just bought the HyperX Cloud Stinger from Best Buy for like $50. So far so good.