Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

What? A Macbook? What am I doing?

Started by retro junkie, May 22, 2019, 08:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

Okay I was tempted. I was on eBay looking around where I probably shouldn't have been.  ::) This computer place had 21 macbooks, 2008 build, for $40 each, this past weekend. They all quickly sold. Ummm... took the dive, as one of those 21, and here I am typing this on that book.

It is one of the books that has a 2.4 ghz intel core 2 Duo running OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard on a 160gb. It only has 2gb memory, but I have another two on the way and am going to order an SSD drive.

Believe it or not but this thing is newer than my lenovo laptop that I have been using for years with Linux. And this will be my first taste of 64bit instead of that old lenovo which is 32.

First thing I had to do is find a web browser because Safari was crap due to being so outdated. I am using Articfox which seems to be running very good. And I am finding that it will work with Facebook, youtube, eBay, and this forum.

This is really an investigation. My Daughter is concerned that Windows 7 is about to be no longer supported by Microsoft. And when that happens then there goes the Anit-virus support. I suggested she look elsewhere like Macintosh. So I have been on this thing since I got home this afternoon and I am liking this very much. This is from someone who has used Linux for almost 20 years. Of course if she decides to go this route it will be a much newer Mac. This is just to become familiar with the difference.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Congratulations... that's pretty cool they were only $40.  They still run well?

As far as being more secure... I'm not sure I'm totally sold on that.   Macs are susceptible to virus as well... it's just not as common.  The IBM iSeries doesn't have virus made for it... but it can harbor virus in the IFS and other file systems.   Macs used to be based on the PowerPc Architecture... stopped in 2006 if I correctly remember. 

Windows 7 holes will no longer be patched soon... allowing it to be owned by anyone and everyone.  I remember... even back in 2005, if you didn't patch XP quickly after a new build, you had viruses in minutes.

I'm not familiar with Articfox... what exactly is that browser?   

So you like it?  What do you like about the OS? 

retro junkie

Arctic Fox is a forked and rebranded Pale Moon 27.9.4. It seems to be a recent work for older Mac OSX 10.6 and higher. It works and makes this book up-to-date when going on the net.

What I like about this? Might sound weird, but I like the feel of the chiclet keyboard. The OS is somewhat a little familiar in feel. I have had no trouble getting around and much of it has been easily simple. I feel at home. Some of that might be that, like Linux, this OS is based on UNIX. Or it used to be. I not sure anymore, it might be a branch of BSD, or at least based from that OS. I know that I have toyed with some versions of Linux, in the past, that has had this as a theme.

The book still runs good. Nice sharp screen. The only trouble I am having right now is that the laptop does not recognize the battery. From my searching, that could be that the battery needs to be replaced. They didn't warrant the battery. But for $40 dollars what can you expect. I got more than I thought. More than my money's worth.
there is no spoon

Grindspine

Be sure to have the Mac in proper configuration for serious gaming!

retro junkie

I have been spoiled by Linux. And I believe the Linux OS is more developed and powerful than the OSX. With Linux I can simply search and find the piece of software I need and set up my work station in hardly any time. The problem with Linux is hardware. That is where it falls short. You can do a lot of research and put together a rig to run your OS. But when it comes to laptops it becomes a serious hunt with word of mouth and other user experiences.  With an Apple laptop you are purchasing a complete package, hardware with an OS built around it. That is its strength. It falls short in the area of software. It is basically built for specific users that purposely use a laptop for something like writing, publishing, graphic art, or business, and yet limited to those programs made for it. Linux is more diversified. That might be because it is a community supported OS. I find my Macbook intuitive in my experience so far, but difficult in finding software or software alternatives. I think the Macbook will fall into the area in which I use a laptop and computer in general, it will just take a little time in getting my programs together. It is just most will need to be purchased, not free like Linux.

Sorry Grindspine I just can't game on my computers. Just can't get into it. And I really don't even have an explanation as to why. Maybe I was traumatized as a kid in some way that subconsciously I reject computer gaming. Maybe it was when I was watching Forbidden Planet. Maybe my mother dropped me on my head. Don't know.
there is no spoon

Grindspine

retro junkie

:))

That is hilarious.

Did not realize there was a picture.

I am waiting for my memory upgrade to 4gb, $11.99. Also I will be ordering an SSD next week, Amazon has a Kingston 256gb for $29. Been doing a lot of investigation, reading, watching youtube videos. I know what I want to do with this thing now. Loving this. Have I become a "Mac-boy" in such a short period of time?
there is no spoon

Grindspine

If you put an apple sticker in the back window of your car, I will disavow you.

retro junkie

there is no spoon

Grindspine

retro junkie

The one thing I like about the Macbook is the operating system and how tight it works with the hardware. But from my investigating I am finding out that the Apple company are total idiots. And the fans are worse. If this guy is anywhere near the truth then I have to ask myself, "why?" You have this big successful business selling junk that people continue to purchase? I wish I had the power to take over a business like this and change the product into quality stuff for the consumer. The concept is a very good one, just poorly implemented. This guy suggested a few that I am on the borderline of purchasing one of them. Not sure yet.

Anyway, I wished that it was not illegal to put the OSX on a computer that was not Apple built.

there is no spoon

retro junkie

Yeah I know, double posting. Discipline me.  :-\

I think I get it now. Been thinking about what this guy said about Apple in the videos that I posted above. I don't think he "gets it." There are actually a section of the populace that is willing to shell out good money so that they do not have to run Windows in their computing experience. They are willing to put up with mechanical difficulties just because of the better computing experience with OSX. And I really don't think it is as bad as he is making it out to be. Understood that it would be natural for a computer shop to see the underbelly of a product. I have been using Linux for around 20 years. Did not realize it had been that long until I started thinking about it. I don't want to go back to Windows, ever. I will put up with it in my work environment but not in my home. Now that I have discovered a new toy to my liking, I have joined the ranks. I just ordered me a macbook pro mid 2012 model. This little macbook that I originally posted about, just upgraded it to 4gb ram. Makes a lot of difference in its performance.

So far my best computing experience has been Linux running on a Lenovo, desktop or notebook.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

So you really don't like Windows that much?    I'm curious what the aversion to it is?   I like Windows a lot... but I've use tons of different Operating Systems.   I'm not a huge fan of OSX, but I understand why others like using them... there is an ease of use there that is not offered by other OSs.  But with that, there are other restrictions.

retro junkie

Using Windows I became very frustrated due to lockups, blue screens, and loss of data. I use graphic intensive programs, paint and photo editing, publishing stuff. At work, using it in my job, it is the same as always, plus the network sluggishness has now been added. Using Linux over the years has been the most pleasant experience in computing for me and it has met my needs. None of the problems and frustrations I encountered with Windows. I have to use Windows every day at work and it is still the frustration.

I will probably continue to use Linux on my desktop. But on a laptop, OSX is nice. I don't think it is as polished as Linux, but it does create a good productive workstation environment. I now have a macbook pro with, Logic Pro X, CS6, and Microsoft 2016 fully installed. I will also install Krita.
there is no spoon

retro junkie

Thought I would post up my first learning session with Photoshop as a paint program. I used a wacom tablet on my MacBook Pro with Photoshop CS6. Learned blending watching a instructional video on youtube.

there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

LOL nice... what else are you working on?

CreepinDeth

I've been using Macs off and on since the early '90's. My first personal computer was one of the first PowerPC Macs back in '93/'94?

I've always liked OS9 and OSX, just not enough to spend the money on it for every time I needed to upgrade. I still remember when people would wonder why I had a Mac but now more than 2 decades later and the world can't stop gushing over Apple. It's been pretty weird for me.

For desktops, I prefer to build my own PC. You can control every aspect and it comes out cheaper. However, on the laptop side I'm thinking of getting another Macbook Pro. The advantage of MacOS is that it gets you from point A to point B without a lot of fuss. Which is what I need in a laptop. I need my portable to be ready to go. I want low boot up times and little OS overhead. They also tend to have some of the best battery lives in comparison to Windows machines.

So I think you did good Retro. I feel MacOS works best when you don't try to think about what is going on under the hood or what you can customize or change. Just treat it as a simple computer and you'll be fine.

retro junkie

What makes matters worse, someone threw up a Mac Mini running High Sierra, 8GB ram, 2.3Ghz i5, 500GB HD, with wireless Apple keyboard and touch pad for $192. I love messing with stuff like this. So here I am typing this on that Mac Mini and it runs like a dream. For all that I do on a computer this is perfect for me.  8)
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

yeah... What @CreepinDeth said.  There's not a lot of fuss.  But that also works out on the other side when you want to do other stuff that may be more complex.

It's pretty amazing they have such a hold on music, image, animation... and other "creation."    Apple does a pretty good job in the realm... though I think PC has somewhat caught up.

They are definitely laptops to just "run" with... and get stuff done.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more