Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

N64 Clone Console?

Started by retro junkie, June 06, 2019, 09:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

Well they finally went and did it. But it seems to be emulation instead of "N64 on a chip." Not sure I am happy about that. I think at this point I will take a "wait and see" attitude. I would rather see more of a hardware based clone rather than the emulation approach. It all depends if the console downloads the rom or plays directly from the cart. I am happy with the fact that the N64 is now being considered for clone systems. N64 on a modern HD tv is a little on the expensive side if you want 720 or better. I just hope it does not leave a bad taste in my mouth.   :-\

there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie So these are all emulation based?   The N64 console deserves something.  @Jack mentioned it was time for a N64 classic... but most of the classic consoles are emulation based.

I doubt an "official" classic console would be anything other than emulation.      Do you see any other companies on the horizon to take a hardware based approach?

retro junkie

This is a first as far as I have found for the N64.
When I say emulation based, I am referring to the Retron 5 that had android as its OS which dumped the rom into the system. It did not play from the cart. This made it controversial with gamers. All of the other Hyperkin consoles were system-on-a-chip and played from the cart.
there is no spoon

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more