Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

The Linux Log Topic

Started by BLUEVOODU, August 09, 2019, 05:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

SOOO.... where do you go for your logs when there is an issue?

IT's big, it's heavy... it's wood.  IT's log... lol  ;D

I found a pretty good article on Linux Logs.   I've been working to learn this better and in more depth.  I accomplished my 1st 2 Linux certs... but they do not teach you everything.  They are good for forcing learning, but you really need to re-enforce that learning with more practice and experience.  Keep digging and keep hitting your head against the proverbial wall.

This is the article I dug.  I know there are MANY different Linux and Unix flavors and variants... but we have to start some where... and This is where we are starting:

20 Linux Log Files that are Located under /var/log Directory - thegeekstuff.com

Now... you may know the most logs are located under /var/log/... great...  but keep in mind, some businesses / admins change those up.    More on this later.

Thoughts? Comments?  questions?   Post it up!  Continue the Linux Discussion.

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU interesting little read. I have used Linux  for a good 20 years, I am thinking. Some of the early part of that was a dual boot with Windows. And I never had any type of crisis. Never had to learn this about log. My Linux distros always ran smooth. That is what sold me on Linux, got spoilt. At the moment I haven't booted up my Linux rig since I have been using my Apple laptop and Mini. I was thinking the early part of this week that I needed to start it up. The distro I settled with there at first was SUsE Linux while it was still a German based distro. Used that Linux for a long time. Built a rig on the side to experiment with different distros. There were many back then that I liked but unfortunately they were short lived and lacked support.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

yeah.... I'm trying to learn these a lot more.   They are essential... Especially when you are running server type environments.  It's cool AND very helpful when you can see what's actually going on.  You almost have to be doing a lot with the system to really need them though.  I'm sure standard users rarely have to look into the logs outside of updating issues...etc.

Have you looked into these on your system @retro junkie ?