Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Author Topic: GameStop Going Down?  (Read 130 times)

Offline retro junkie

• Sonic The Hedgehog
  • all your base are belong to us
    • View Profile
GameStop Going Down?
« on: August 11, 2019, 04:31:55 PM »
I am seeing a lot of talk of GameStop heading down the "spiraling path of death." Locally, if GameStop closed, I don't think it would be much of an impact. When I think of shopping for games they do not even come to mind. As a retro gamer they stepped away from me many years ago. There are other local game stores, some are "mom & pop." Gamexchange is a chain of local gaming stores that has been my goto when it comes to local purchase of games. They carry anything from Atari 2600 through modern games and consoles. Their main focus are games. In the last twenty years I can count on one hand how many times that I have been in a GameStop. Recently have been a couple of those times and then I thought I was walking into a Hot Topic store. If they quickly return to being a gaming store they might survive. But if they stay on the path that they are going, they are nothing but a shadow that will fade into the sunset and become one of those memories in gaming history. In the early days them and Babbages were THE "game stores."

Below are games I grabbed up at my local Gamexchange this weekend. That's my point.

there is no spoon

Offline targetrasp

• Silencer
    • bcalrogers
    • View Profile
Re: GameStop Going Down?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 09:51:02 PM »
The hot topic look is GameStop trying to remain relevant. I think the collectibles have helped slow the bleeding but its not been enough. In the last year their stock price has plummeted and they've just recently stopped paying dividends. They also just trimmed a lot of district manager / HR type jobs. I think they've even tried putting themselves up for sale at some point. The company is in some serious trouble.

I have to give GameStop credit for trying to stay a float. They've tried different things to diversify while still serving their niche audience. Comic books, apparel, collectible, board games, etc. I really enjoyed spending points on comic books and getting exclusive editions (which they've since stopped). There was even a higher tier in their loyalty program that really helped rack up the points, which has also been discontinued.

If the console makers would throw them a bone (multi-generational backwards compatible system) and / or better exclusives (so far the best I've seen is the 3ds One Piece game and the Ghostbusters game for the ps4 and xbone) they'd be in better shape but there's no incentive for Sony, MS, et. al. to keep GameStop around. GameStop also missed the boat on digital and are now having to play catch-up (which they won't be able to).

I think their next effort is going to be similar to how places like shopping malls and movie theaters are trying to stay solvent... They're talking about making the store visit more of an experience. I'm sure they're looking at playing games in nice chairs on big screens, possibly hosting competitions, but their current stores have a really small footprint. That kind of stuff takes up tons of retail space. I'm not sure how they'll produce something significant enough with the size of most of their current stores.

I still use GameStop, but not nearly as much. It's gone from hundreds in line for a copy of Halo 2 at a midnight release to a couple dozen picking up only the most sought after release (just after store closing at 9pm), and that's pretty rare. Amazon delivers the newest game to my door and I don't have to get out of my pajamas... Amazon is a wrecking ball when it comes to brick and mortar stores and I don't know that GameStop has the juice to survive. 

Offline CreepinDeth

• ViewPoint
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:14:07 AM »
GameStop also missed the boat on digital and are now having to play catch-up (which they won't be able to).

This is what it is right here. They were never going to catch up to digital in the first place and there are finally enough digital consumers to make a difference. Why pay the same price at GS when you can just go to the source and pay the same amount and not have to go outside? You can't trade in digital games either, so each digital purchase is one more nail in their coffin. They do sell digital goods, but they probably pay a cut to the first parties and developers on top of their razer-thin margins on new items.

Digital is a no-win situation for GS.

Offline BLUEVOODU

• Administrator
  • EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!
    • bluevoodu
    • R2EN546
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 09:53:18 PM »
You know... I never really dug GAmestop.  I've used them at times in the past... however, most mom and pop stores have closed in town.  Game Crazy Is gone.   IF there is going to be a store, I'd at least like a Gamestop to still exist.  There's really nothing else anymore.  It is cool to see other types of gaming products in store too.   Their mugs though... NEED TO BE dishwasher and microwave safe lol... come on

I purposely shop locally for things to give local businesses money.  I also order online.

I know a lot of gamers like their digital copies, but I'm still a fan of having physical copies of games.  There are times I really do like digital copies... but it seems that digital is really starting to kill off stores now.

While In a way I think it's justice... in another way, I hate to see some of the last game stores close.

Offline retro junkie

• Sonic The Hedgehog
  • all your base are belong to us
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 10:24:15 PM »
Hmmm maybe this cain of stores are not everywhere. But they seem to be opening up all over the place around here called GameXchange. They are in Arkansas, Kentucky and Illinois, maybe in other areas. They seem to be flourishing and showing success at the moment. At the same time Gamestop is struggling. Maybe it is because of their focus on games like everything from Atari 2600 and including everything into the present generation. They remind me of the old days. But they are making some changes by including some comics, cards, and funco pops. But they are still making games their primary concern. Love this store. Gamestop could learn from them.
there is no spoon

Offline BLUEVOODU

• Administrator
  • EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!
    • bluevoodu
    • R2EN546
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 10:41:45 PM »
HM... I don't think they have one here.  That's sort-of what I was trying to do back in the day.  I think there's still a market for retro stuff... but idk how much going into the future.  Right now during decent times, the market for those items are good.  The moment there are economic issues, the products sit for awhile.

@retro junkie you have me interested... I'll have to look for those stores.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more