Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Upgraded my CPU for first time since 2011!

Started by CreepinDeth, December 21, 2019, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CreepinDeth

I've officially jumped back to AMD. Went with a Ryzen 5 3600X since it was only $5 more than the regular 3600 and paired it with an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard.

It's funny, I started the decade with an AMD Athlon dual core and almost immediately switched to Intel when their Sandy Bridge CPUs were released. Which I have been using ever since and now I'm ending the decade with a Ryzen chip.

Now, I have to figure out if the high temps I'm getting are normal or if I need a better cooler. I'm using the stock cooler and every review pretty much says that the stock cooler is adequate. I'm not so sure. Under full load I'm hitting 85 degrees celsius.  :nerd:

targetrasp

my experience with AMD is that they do run pretty hot especially compared to intel chips. I've heard that the newer ryzen chips have done a better job getting the heat under control but I've also read that some of the 5 series ryzens have hit mid 90s under load on a stock cooler. In these situations people usually blame the case fans; fans pointed wrong, not enough air flow, etc. - you know, the equivalent of the restart your computer fix tech support always offers.

it could be some voltage settings... more voltage = more heat. If you're idling hot updated chipset drives can sometimes fix whatever it is that's got the voltage wrong, or less optimized. All this is crap you already know, it's just a pain trying to find the fix specific to your build.

Noctuna makes some nice coolers!

Grindspine

My fiancé has been using a half-broken laptop for a year, so I convinced her that a solid gaming laptop was a good idea.  We decided on getting her an Asus Tuf with a Ryzen proc and GTX 1650 graphics card.  Of course, the condition was that I would get to borrow it sometimes.  >:D

BLUEVOODU

lol nice @Grindspine Now she'll have to game too!

@CreepinDeth - heat is definitely a killer of hardware.   A Very efficient power supply will help with this... as well as only utilizing about 40-50% of the load.  You will see a lot less waste of energy to heat.   At least... I did when upgrading.  I've been able to air cool only and have been able to keep my feet under the desk lol  ;D

As @targetrasp mentioned, Noctua makes great coolers.  That's what I have on my CPU.  However, make SURE you watch dimensions... as some of the coolers are very large.

Speaking of this... I'm really hoping to build a new pc next year.  I bought a Dell G15 about 1-1.5 years ago to tide me over.   I highly recommend the laptop ... it's one of the best deals out there for Gaming laptops.   It's a tad larger, but keeps cool under most circumstances.  High intensity gaming... just make sure you're playing on a table tap to not roast the nuggets  ;D  I've had the PC itch for a long time... but my 5 year old build still plays pretty much everything at max settings at 1080p.  I just haven't had a good excuse to build... that and I really didn't want to spend the money again.

retro junkie

Quote from: Grindspine on December 24, 2019, 12:49:05 AM
My fiancé has been using a half-broken laptop for a year, so I convinced her that a solid gaming laptop was a good idea.  We decided on getting her an Asus Tuf with a Ryzen proc and GTX 1650 graphics card.  Of course, the condition was that I would get to borrow it sometimes.  >:D
@Grindspine how devious of you.

I don't do any gaming on a PC. It is just not my thing. I have been pretty content with my Mac mini and Macbook pro 2012. These serve my needs of word processing, net surfing, drawing with krita or PS, photo editing, working out my budget, just lite weight stuff.
there is no spoon

CreepinDeth

Quote from: targetrasp on December 22, 2019, 07:57:54 AM
it could be some voltage settings... more voltage = more heat. If you're idling hot updated chipset drives can sometimes fix whatever it is that's got the voltage wrong, or less optimized. All this is crap you already know, it's just a pain trying to find the fix specific to your build.

Noctuna makes some nice coolers!

Yep, you're pretty spot on. From my research, the high temps are within spec. If I'm understanding everything correctly, voltages are high in order to reach certain frequencies and Zen 2 7nm chips being so small get hot even faster than bigger dies (I've seen my temps go from 30 degrees to almost 60 degrees in less than a second.)

I ended up buying and installing a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition. I would have loved to have gotten a Noctua but they're almost double the price. If I upgrade to a 3950X, I'll definitely be getting one though.

Quote from: Grindspine on December 24, 2019, 12:49:05 AM

Good man!!

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on December 24, 2019, 12:06:36 PM
Speaking of this... I'm really hoping to build a new pc next year.  I bought a Dell G15 about 1-1.5 years ago to tide me over.   I highly recommend the laptop ... it's one of the best deals out there for Gaming laptops.   It's a tad larger, but keeps cool under most circumstances.  High intensity gaming... just make sure you're playing on a table tap to not roast the nuggets  ;D  I've had the PC itch for a long time... but my 5 year old build still plays pretty much everything at max settings at 1080p.  I just haven't had a good excuse to build... that and I really didn't want to spend the money again.

Prices are very good right now. AMD is basically competing with themselves and their last generation chips are almost half off brand new right now. I was debating hard on whether to get a Ryzen 5 2600 for $115 vs the 3600 but I went with the newer part. The 2600 is still a great CPU today.

You should check out some PC build videos. You can get plenty of bang for your buck.

Quote from: retro junkie on December 24, 2019, 01:20:58 PM
I don't do any gaming on a PC. It is just not my thing. I have been pretty content with my Mac mini and Macbook pro 2012. These serve my needs of word processing, net surfing, drawing with krita or PS, photo editing, working out my budget, just lite weight stuff.

The great thing about AMD chips right now is that they're not just good for gaming but are beasts for productivity. If you plan to upgrade in the future, you'll fine plenty of good deals on some of these chips years down the line and they would serve you extremely well.

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth yeah... I really want to do a build.  It may not happen for a couple years though.  Things are a little tighter right now.  I hope by summer to clear a few things up.  However, I'm definitely looking to build in the next 2 years.   

How is everything performing?

@Grindspine - did you get it yet? you should create a laptop topic!  Hopefully Discord works well on the laptop lol...maybe you'll end up using that instead of your other machine for Call of Duty.

Speaking of broken laptops... My work laptop has been resurrected 3 times.  Screen has been replaced, motherboard replaced... screen bezel is broke from 1 of the repairs...etc.  I am finally getting a new laptop... but yeah.. lol... we use them well. 

CreepinDeth

Quote from: BLUEVOODU on January 05, 2020, 01:38:13 PM
@CreepinDeth
How is everything performing?

Great! I bought a cooler master 212 black CPU cooler and now it doesn't go above 73 degrees at full load. I noticed that in Rise of the Tomb Raider I got much better frame times. It doesn't have microstuttering that I kept getting with my i5 and i7.

Grindspine

Quote from: retro junkie on December 24, 2019, 01:20:58 PM

Retro, I found a great way to use your Mac for gaming!

BLUEVOODU

Lol @Grindspine  too soon man... too soon.

@retro junkie - looks like grind gave you a good idea on this  ;D

Grindspine

I have yet to actually take that gaming laptop to any LAN sessions @BLUEVOODU @mastermario @SpartanEvolved

I did, however, have it in the hotel when we were in town for the wedding reception last May!

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more