Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Sega Saturn

Started by targetrasp, February 19, 2020, 12:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

targetrasp

I've had a modest Sega Saturn collection in the past and didn't pay it much attention. Now that it's gone and worth 20 times what I sold it for, I've started looking for one on eBay.

The stand out games are few and far between, paying $400 - 700 for a copy of panzer dragoon saga makes me want to puke (I sold it for 150ish back in the day) and light gun games don't work on my televisions... I continue to talk myself out of it but just barely. Outside of revisiting Panzer dragoon saga I want to play Dark Savior. It's one of the few that I've never laid hands on, but its even 60 dollars (15 if I could read Japanese).

I think the hope of a mini has kept me in check but the games I wanna play have NEVER been ported, rereleased, or popped up on a collection of any kind. I can understand Dark Savior not coming back but Panzer Dragoon Saga? There has to be some licensing issue...

Any love left for the Saturn in 2020? Any hope of a mini console or a way to play Panzer Dragoon Saga without shelling out the majority of a house payment?

Grindspine

I remember Quake III being awesome on the Saturn, or was it the DreamCast?  Apparently there was also a version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, relabeled as Noctourne in the Moonlight, that had additional levels compared to the PlayStation version.

Those Sega systems are a bit blurred in my memory.  As far as light gun games go, seek out an old Sony WEGA for the best in CRT gaming! :D

retro junkie

I just recently became aware of the value of my Sega Saturn collection. I shockingly picked up only three of my games and was in awe of them being worth over $400. I need to pull out the whole lot and evaluate the whole collection. I have a lot of Capcom fighters. And Guardian Heroes, love that game. I have both NiGHTS and Christmas NiGHTS.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

Every since thrift stores stopped accepting CRTs as donations I've not been able to run down a good CRT. I had a 36" Sony Trinitron that lasted forever that was perfect for gaming. I've been keeping an eye out for a big WEGA or a broadcast monitor but nothing yet. At this point I don't know that I'd have a place to put it! I do miss those virtua cop, house of the dead, lethal enforcers, TIME CRISIS kind of games

Grindspine

Quote from: targetrasp on February 20, 2020, 05:14:27 PM
Every since thrift stores stopped accepting CRTs as donations I've not been able to run down a good CRT. I had a 36" Sony Trinitron that lasted forever that was perfect for gaming. I've been keeping an eye out for a big WEGA or a broadcast monitor but nothing yet. At this point I don't know that I'd have a place to put it! I do miss those virtua cop, house of the dead, lethal enforcers, TIME CRISIS kind of games

I still have my 27" WEGA and will keep it 'til it dies!

This weekend, Renee and I found a stored Saturn at her mom's house.  Some of you might remember DeathMonkeyOmega on Steam; he is Renee's brother and left his Saturn there!  I think we are going to have to adopt it!

targetrasp

I dug through my mother's attic a while back and didn't find crap. What she didn't give to goodwill when I was in college she put in totes and gave back to me during my housewarming party!

At least that's how I tell it, she says nothing is missing but there's boxes and boxes of baseball cards I've not seen since puberty...

There might be some expensive stuff in there @Grindspine, and I bet that'd be awesome hooked up to your sony

BLUEVOODU

@Grindspine  Quake 3 was Dreamcast... HOWEVER, they did have a Sega Saturn Quake!
Quake Sega Saturn Version - Quake.fandom.com

you know... I still have my Saturn.  I was thinking of selling it.  I have Nights complete in box with controller, Christmas nights I believe, tempest 2000, Mega Man X4 ... and a few others.  I saw it was going for a decent amount... and was going to sell it.   I played it a few years back... but it just hasn't gotten a lot of play.  Tempest 2000 on the Saturn just wasn't as good as the Atari Jaguar's version... so I really never played it a ton on the Saturn.  Mega Man X4 is pretty good!   So I haven't made the decision to sell it again lol and my 1st decision to sell was derailed.

targetrasp

Almost everything I've sold I wish I kept, most of what I've kept I've contemplated selling.

At this point I'll only sell duplicates when I get better copies or systems. No more regrets, just clutter!

retro junkie

I decided long ago that if any of my old disc drive consoles died, I would not invest in a replacement. Thoughts of a replacement being just as old as the one I had causes me to fear another failure quicker than the one before. So yeah I would then begin to sell off the games. Cartridge based consoles is a different story for me.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

@retro junkie when that does happen youtube is your best friend. usually all it takes is an ebay account to source the parts and some novice soldering skills.

retro junkie

Not sure I would do that. Hmmmm.... I will think about it and weigh both options when the time comes.  ;)
there is no spoon

targetrasp

this stuff is getting harder to find... youtube cuts both ways!

BLUEVOODU

I bought a new legit soldering iron a few months ago.  Now I just need a project  ;D @retro junkie lol. 

I don't know. I'm really contemplating selling the collection and recouping the cash. I wish I woulve bought a lot of other stuff and hoarded it from back in the day.  All those us faselei carts I had...  New Saturn units ... etc. Many of these consoles just don't get play anymore.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more