Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Author Topic: Turbo Express Capacitor Issue - Time to Fix  (Read 156 times)

Offline BLUEVOODU

• Administrator
  • EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!
    • bluevoodu
    • R2EN546
    • View Profile
Turbo Express Capacitor Issue - Time to Fix
« on: March 16, 2020, 11:41:07 PM »
ok... so my Turbo Express has been down for some time... probably 2-3 years.

@targetrasp  you mentioned a capacitor set on Ebay… I Think I found them.  Do you know of anywhere else outside Ebay to get them?  I don't really Ebay anymore.  I'm searching to see if I can find it outside of Ebay.

I recently purchased a new soldering iron for other projects... and it needs to be broke in.   It's time to fix the Turbo Express!

Who else has or have had this issue?   Post it up!

Offline retro junkie

• Delta Force Soldier
  • all your base are belong to us
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Express Capacitor Issue - Time to Fix
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 08:03:07 PM »
Mine has been down for about 5 years. Last time I tried the unit the screen took several minutes to for the screen to come on. I think it had to warm up. There was no sound.
there is no spoon

Offline targetrasp

• Ninja Master
    • bcalrogers
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Express Capacitor Issue - Time to Fix
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 10:36:34 PM »
I used to buy things from MCM Electronics waaay back in the day but they've turned into something completely different. On a per piece basis ebay kits are a little expensive but you get the kit, instructions, and tons of feedback on how it works. There's a lot to think about when choosing the correct capacitor, not just rating but material too. I picked up a cap at Radio Shack once to fix some handheld (gamegear maybe) and it worked but you got some popping and hissing at higher volume. I found out years later the dielectric matters not just capacitance.

There's lists posted everywhere (here's one https://console5.com/wiki/Turbo_Express)

If you want to go piece by piece amazon works well (I don't know any specialty sight anymore that's cheap and easy to navigate) but I don't think you'll be saving money until you're working on multiple units.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more