Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Turbo Express Capacitor Issue - Time to Fix

Started by BLUEVOODU, March 16, 2020, 11:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

ok... so my Turbo Express has been down for some time... probably 2-3 years.

@targetrasp  you mentioned a capacitor set on Ebay... I Think I found them.  Do you know of anywhere else outside Ebay to get them?  I don't really Ebay anymore.  I'm searching to see if I can find it outside of Ebay.

I recently purchased a new soldering iron for other projects... and it needs to be broke in.   It's time to fix the Turbo Express!

Who else has or have had this issue?   Post it up!

retro junkie

Mine has been down for about 5 years. Last time I tried the unit the screen took several minutes to for the screen to come on. I think it had to warm up. There was no sound.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

I used to buy things from MCM Electronics waaay back in the day but they've turned into something completely different. On a per piece basis ebay kits are a little expensive but you get the kit, instructions, and tons of feedback on how it works. There's a lot to think about when choosing the correct capacitor, not just rating but material too. I picked up a cap at Radio Shack once to fix some handheld (gamegear maybe) and it worked but you got some popping and hissing at higher volume. I found out years later the dielectric matters not just capacitance.

There's lists posted everywhere (here's one https://console5.com/wiki/Turbo_Express)

If you want to go piece by piece amazon works well (I don't know any specialty sight anymore that's cheap and easy to navigate) but I don't think you'll be saving money until you're working on multiple units.

BLUEVOODU

Well... I Am bumping this topic because I was going to do it ... then it slipped my radar.   Hopefully it can and will stay on the radar.  I am booked solid the next 2 months... but gaming and some other things are coming back after that.

I am at that stage where I'm trying to look at sourcing the parts.  The link you sent was helpful for information... just need to find sources now.  I also have a Guitar bridge replacement project that's going to happen soon (1st)... as it's been waiting longer.  time...  :o

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU there was a kit floating around ebay which included everything needed.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

Ebay kits are USUALLY pretty well researched and there's so many people doing it the cost isn't bad at all. I've got some a kit or two stashed away, nothing turbo express though

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more